Coney Island Rides

marcia

Well, the Rock O Plane, which is new to Coney this season, came from LeSourdsville Lake. (The ride opened there in 1949). The ride was completely repainted for this season. Additionally, the Tempest, opened in 2001 at Coney, was also relocated from LeSourdsville Lake. Other than those two rides, I don`t think any other rides came from LeSourdsville Lake. I know that the Tilt-A-Hurl came from neighboring Fantasy Farm.

I know that most of Coney`s rides are used (the Eli Bridge Ferris Wheel dates back to 1947 for example), but I do not know where all the rides used to reside at before taking up residence at Coney. I do know that the Frog Hopper, and Scream Machine were purchased new direct from the manufacturer.

Certainly. Rock O Plane

As can be seen on that page, the Rock O Plane opened at Coney this season. It was manufactured by the Eyerly Aircraft Corporation (the same manufacturer that also built the Monster at Kings Island). It opened at LeSourdsville Lake in 1949. I have had the privilege of operating the Rock O Plane numerous times this year. It is one intense little ride if you can get those tubs rocking upside down!

What new addition? Did you forget a link? Please elaborate.

Also, Chef, there's a link on the bottom of the forums list from the main page of this site. It's the last link under Kings Island Central Community. I do think it would be nice if it were put right above the OTHER PARKS link...more people would see it there and it would be more logical.

The link directly is also in CoastersRZ's signature:

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showforum=51

i work for a local amusement company and have also had the pleasure of running our rock-o-plane.

tricky to operate, but a heck of a good time riding. my personal record for flips is 85 in a two minute cycle. could have been more but it gets exhausting pushing weight back and forth. haha anyway, ireccomend a ride on the rock for anyone and everyone that enjoys having their stomache turned inside out!

p.s.

ik now that many of coney's rides are portable (single and double trailers) and not ground mounted rides. i was just curious as to wether or not they dismantle these rides over the winter for indoor storage?

Yes, most of Coney`s rides are trailer mounted (Tempest, Spin A Ree, Racing Rockets, Trabant, Giant Slide and the Flying Bobs). No, these rides are not completely taken apart in the winter. As is usual, cars that can be taken off, will be taken off in the winter (ie all the Ferris Wheel cars, Scrambler cars etc.) But they do not completely take the ride apart in the off season as if they were being moved to a new site. The one exception this year is the Giant Slide, which has been temporarily relocated to the Sunlite Pool parking lot and will find a new home somewhere within the park next season. Its former home is being transformed into a new Riverbend Pavilion.

The Rock O Plane is some what difficult to operate, but it is less challenging than the Ferris Wheel. Of the two rides, which are both cable driven, the Ferris Wheel can get off balance easier, and it also has twelve cars compared to the Rock O Plane`s eight cars.

Trust me, the Ferris Wheel is a lot more sensitive to balance issues. If you aren`t careful with the Wheel, you can cause it to start smoking, throw hot grease, or even get the cables crossed on the drive wheels!

Oddly enough, a lot of people comment about Coney`s Ferris Wheel as being the fastest Ferris Wheel they`ve ever ridden/seen. Which probably explains why so many people end up tossing their cookies on that ride. Surprisingly, I`ve had more people get sick on the Ferris Wheel this year than I have on the Rock O Plane.

Yep. That is why the Ferris Wheel at Coney is usually run by second years or higher, because you actually have to "know" how to run the ride, or you could run into problems with it, like I mentioned. Balancing is also why the cars are not numbered in order on Coney`s wheel. Car one and two are on opposite sides of the wheel, to help us keep track of what cars to go to when unloading and loading.

You will know the wheel is off balance, when the wheel, due to the weight of being off balanced, is actually moving backwards when the brake is on. Since I have worked the ride for five years now, that is why more often than not I will be working the Ferris Wheel while at Coney. Depending where I am co-oping next spring and summer, I might be back running Coney`s classic rides for a seventh straight year.

• 15 years later...