Closing Could Add Rides To Kings Island!

I think Cedar Fair closed it because of attendence and losing money yearly. I think they also thought this will be easy adds to other parks since we don't have a lot of money to work with for new rides for next year. I wish we would get Dominator, I hope that the rumours are false for Kings Dominion to get it.

-Jake

It will be interesting to see who get the 'used' rides from GL.

I think what will be even more interesting is to see if CP get any 'used' rides from GL or if CF sees CP 'to good to get used attractions'. I just want to see them treat the parks equally. If its ok for KI to get used rides, then it should be ok for CP to get used rides as well.

^ what's funny is that I've read a few quotes (on other boards...unsubstantiated), where Kinzel has made the comment that "stand-alone water parks are unsustainable."

I wonder what developers woould be interested in that 400 acres? It would be a beautiful spot for houses or condos, but the Ohio housing market (particularly, NE Ohio) isn't exactly booming right now...

People, capital is VERY short at Cedar Fair right now. The company has approximately $2 Billion in debt. What Cedar Fair OR Cedar Point may or may not have done in the past is not a very good indicator of what they may do in the future. Times are different, circumstances are different, the people making the decisions are different, both in direct terms and in different by being changed terms. Top Thrill Dragster, for one, has humbled Mr. Kinzel, as have the recent experiences teaching that not every new coaster means "If you build it, they will come."

Cedar Fair is not about inter-park intra-company competition right now. It's about paying off debt, plain and simple; according to the terms agreed to in far better times. In case you have not noticed, the entire county is facing a debt crisis. Loans aren't as easy to come by, interest rates in relation to risk profiles have changed. The unused rides at Geauga Lake are company assets. They will be deployed where the company feels makes the most sense to them...in other words, where they will attract the most paying guests at the least expense. This isn't about pride or park vs. park. It's about BUSINESS...amusement parks ARE a business...and if Cedar Fair doesn't remember that, it will be out of business. They know that.

Debt has a way of focusing the mind. Especially when payments are due.

And yes, before someone says it, Six Flags faces similar problems, and in some ways bigger ones. It's just that Cedar Fair agreed to a much more aggressive repayment schedule that depends on high admissions and high per caps.

^I completely agree. The times have changed in the amusement industry drastically in the last few years. Circa 2000, every park was out to be the best, no matter what the cost. Gigantic rides were being installed all over the country. But now they're all biting the dust with the rising interest rates and falling revenues. Six Flags had to change its entire target marketing strategy by trying to make their parks more "family-friendly." Paramount got out of the market completely (which actually may have been their smartest decision yet). Cedar Fair, however, took a bold strategy and actually tried to EXPAND during this time, and now it looks like they're really taking the hardest hit. The industry is no longer about building the biggest and the best to draw visitors. It's about finding the most efficient way to draw visitors so the revenue stays the same or even goes up while the costs are lower.

The only park that seriously has no concerns about downsizing is Cedar Point. Any park with extra expansion property needs to be concerned. The former College Football hall of fame property is selling for $1,000,000 per acre. Assuming there is 500 acres of unused land at KI, that would be $500,000,000 to sell off debt. I think that would be the first asset to go to pay down the debt. Of course, the prices throughout the country would vary.

Even though GL isn't closing completely, it's sad though, that we won't have 3 major ride amusement parks in Ohio next year. Just after 1 year of Cedar Fair owning all 3 major Ohio parks.

I don't think we have to worry about KI ever closing, obviously KI brings in much more money then GL has.

I think cp may indeed get a ride from gl. They have a new ride or major attraction every year, as of now there has been no word on a new ride.

From everything I've read and heard, CP is getting Texas Twister for the 2008 season. It makes sense, as it is (as I've heard) a well-run and very fun Top Spin (unlike TR:TR - goodbye manhood :blink: ). It'll be interesting to see what other parks get the various flats, though. I would like to see KI get the ferris wheel, so long as it's not a Chance wheel. Anyone know if it is or not, because I have no idea. :huh: