Cedar Fair Throws in the Beach Towel...

cholderfield

Posted last night in the OTHER PARKS forum, not in Kings Island:

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=177699

oops...i missed it (buried in 5pgs of material)....

i thought it would be more appropriate here, because it deals more with CF than specifically GL (although i know that's the topic).....the writer is asking if this move hurts CF's reputation...which could hurt CP, KI, etc.....

chris

Oh, it needs PLENTY of attention. And I do think it will affect Kings Island (and all the Cedar Fair parks).

so you think there will be some type of public outcry? as in, attendance at other parks declining further?....i'm not so sure how big of an effect it will have....although with the park being there for over 100 years, that does say something to that community....but if you say the names "Cedar Point", "Kings Island", and "Geauga Lake"...a common person off the street would immediately recognize CP and KI...but not GL...

BUT..CF does need to sharpen up...b/c something in their business model does not seem to be working....hopefully, this is just a rough transitional period....otherwise, the bottom is slowly creeping nearer.....especially with this year's (and the past couple of years, actually) declining and/or flat attendance....i'm not saying i have the answers...but CF doesn't seem to have them either...

"I have no respect left for Cedar Fair," posts a coaster enthusiast at CoasterBuzz.com.

I had to read that quote twice. Someone over at Coasterbuzz talking bad about CF? Made me think the end of the world is coming.

As for this being negative for the entire chain, I doubt it. Enthusiasts make up about 10% of the total business into a park, and seeing that the only news organizations that will hear about this is Cleveland, I think KI is pretty safe.

"I have no respect left for Cedar Fair," posts a coaster enthusiast at CoasterBuzz.com.

I had to read that quote twice. Someone over at Coasterbuzz talking bad about CF? Made me think the end of the world is coming.

As for this being negative for the entire chain, I doubt it. Enthusiasts make up about 10% of the total business into a park, and seeing that the only news organizations that will hear about this is Cleveland, I think KI is pretty safe.

If enthusiasts made up 10%... no 5%... no 1% of the park's attendance, we'd be able to have a KIC event every week.

^ Which makes it even more amazing that the parks still go out of their way to court the enthusiast community. KI has been particularly good about that, but other parks (i.e., Holiday World) certainly have too.

Yes, enthusiasts are a very small part of any parks regular attendance, but I guess we're a very LOUD part :D

^ Which makes it even more amazing that the parks still go out of their way to court the enthusiast community. KI has been particularly good about that, but other parks (i.e., Holiday World) certainly have too.

Yes, enthusiasts are a very small part of any parks regular attendance, but I guess we're a very LOUD part :D

A very important person at Kings Island has always said that it's a good thing that you [members of KIC] complain about stuff... it means you care.

Heres how I see the entire thing. Cedar Fair aren't see the numbers that they want to from KI and CP. If they close one park (GL) and those people that would normaly go there now have to choose a differnt park thus boosting the numbers for KI and CP.

Not necessarily. There are other parks in the region besides KI and CP. Also, the primary market for the park was the local area and some parts of Cleveland. Many of these people probably already made the occasional trip to a bigger ride park a couple times a year on average. Now maybe that might increase an extra trip at most, but there are also other parks besides KI and CP.

I completely agree, all word of mouth is a very loud part. But, enthusiasts are just that...enthusiastic. An enthusiast can talk an attraction up to friends and family sometimes in more detail and better context than a 30 second video clip. I mean technically the only reasons for employees to be nice to park guests is to keep them coming back, and get some word of mouth. That's what it boils down to, so why not try to impress every group that you can, and hope they all come together in positive harmony?

A very important person at Kings Island has always said that it's a good thing that you [members of KIC] complain about stuff... it means you care.

WOW, isn't that the truth. I wish I knew who may have said that, because I would love to shake their hand. Having read that, it brought a smile to my face, as that is how I have always felt about things. That person seems to understand people, and that's always a good thing. Thanks for bringing that bit of infinite wisdom to this board Ryan, its the kind of statement that really shows understanding and thoughfulness!

^I was going to say the same thing. Firehawk is a pretty awesome ride in itself, but I thought Dominator was much more fun. I wouldn't have minded if we received Thunderhawk. It's a pretty good coaster considering most people consider them hang-n-bangs.