Fall-O-Ween at Coney Island

CoastersRZ

This weekend is the Fall-O-Ween Festival at Coney Island. Hours are 12 to 6 pm on both Saturday and Sunday. Coney`s classic rides are included with admission to the festival. (I will be working on Saturday, and potentially Sunday as well). This is the final weekend that the rides will be open at Coney for the year.

Read more about the Fall-O-Ween Festival here.

Well, the Fall-O-Ween Festival at Coney has now come and gone. Coney Island is now officially closed for the year. The park will reopen again next May. And, there is a chance that I may be back in the rides department on the weekends, which would be my seventh year working at Coney!

I don`t know what Coney`s plans are for next year. I do know that the Giant Slide will be in a new location. Its former location is in the process of becoming the new Riverbend Pavilion. As of this weekend, that is a large field of dirt with lots of rebar strewn about the site.

Are you thinking of the correct Giant Slide? The Giant Slide was NOT located over in the Sunlite Pool area but was located over by the LaRosa`s and Dodgems. The last couple of weeks, the ride was sitting all folded up behind the pool house. Here is an image of the Giant Slide.

They are building the National City Pavilion, a 4,000 seat pavilion that will be a smaller venue for bands to perform in. The Pavilion will sit on land that Coney gave to the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra (the actual owners of Riverbend. It is a $6.8 million building, and of last weekend, there was extensive site work being done in the area with preparations for footings.

National City Pavilion

That's great news for both Riverbend and Coney. I only hope that Coney continues to expand it's lineup. A year ago a friend and I went to the adminsitration office and they hinted at a water ride for Coney. Maybe now with Geauga Lake closing, they can get the Gold Rush log ride.

Do you remember who this "man" was? Keep in mind that there are seasonal managers that work in the first floor of the admin building. In fact, there are personnel managers who hand out paychecks, and handle uniforms that are seasonal, and might not know all the inner workings of what is going on. And, its not like they are just going to come out and tell regular guests what their plans are.

Coney Could Enclose the log flume and make the new lost river with some animatronics etc. etc.

But what I understand on small parks Why Strickers grove has'nt installed one is the testing of water etc.

etc. Cost a lot for small parks:

But whow coney would rock if they got a highly themed log flume;

I`ve said it to others, but if Coney were to get a ride the size of the Tornado at Stricker`s Grove, it would put Coney on the map, and be a huge hit amongst the public. Will Coney ever install a wooden coaster again? Who knows. It sure would be a big hit and a nice little draw to the ride side.

Yep. And Coney already has a carpenter on the full time staff. Yes, they might have to hire an additional person if they were to get a wooden coaster, but I think the bump in ride ticket sales would more than offset the additional expense.

I mean, Stricker`s Grove obviously doesn`t bring in anywhere near as many people as what Coney does, and yet Stricker`s has two wooden coasters (one of which was based on a coaster that used to reside at Coney).

In the amusement park business or any larger business for that matter, money is not hard to find...it is on the other hand...very hard to pay back!

The question is not do they have it, it is not even can they get it; the question would be, is aquiring that sort of cash and debt load worth the hassle?

Unless of course they do have that cash on hand!

Post #700!

Well, it is also not a question of how much cash they have or how many loans they could get. They have to anticipate a good return on investment to whatever they invest in the park. Its the same concept with any business. If you invest capital into your business you expect to see some sort of return on your investment. The question is, does Coney feel that a wooden coaster is worth the investment cost associated with it? Will it produce the necessary return on investment? I think that it would, but then again, I`m not privy to all the inner workings and thought processes at Coney either.

I think this should be in the "jokes in bad taste at HH" thread but I will put it here any ways:

A woody on stilts to keep it from getting damaged from floods. At the top of the hill there is a building in the shape of a mobile home, and the trains are in the shape of canoes. We could call it "The New Richmond Rescuers".

(Seriously though, I would love to see a woody at Coney. I just do not see them doing it because of up keep and repair costs from flooding.)

But, it should be pointed out that most woodies built these days don't cost $9 million. Wood coasters are relatively cheap, initially, compared to steel. For instance, Voyage, one of the larger wooden coasters built in recent years, cost $6.5 million, and that is with steel supports. The cost of steel has rocketed of late.

It's in the maintenance department that wood continues to cost and cost and cost....