Fall-O-Ween at Coney Island

CoastersRZ

There is quite a bit of "open" land behind the Dodgems and Golf, between Riverbend and the picnic shelters. Although, this same area of land is often used for special events such as the LaRosa`s Balloon Glow. A ride like the Tornado would not take up all the open land. And, there is quite a bit of land between Kellogg Avenue and Lake Como that is primarily only used as overflow parking (it is a mixture of gravel and grass) for sold out concerts. (Although the former allocation is where the Flower show calls home every April).

Well, the Grizzly at Kings Dominion (as well as its inferior twin at Great America) were based on plans of the Wildcat. Keep in mind that Coney actually removed the Wildcat before Coney closed in 1971. It became the home for one of the sky ride stations. The area where the Wildcat once stood is now approximately the two story office space for Riverbend. Also, as originally sited, the Shooting Star also could not be rebuilt as the turnaround for the ride now sits on the western portion of Riverbend property.

But that is not to say that Coney doesn`t have the land to put in a ride the size of the Tornado from Stricker`s Grove. A very fun ride, that would, in my opinion, be a perfect fit for Coney.

But, it should be pointed out that most woodies built these days don't cost $9 million. Wood coasters are relatively cheap, initially, compared to steel. For instance, Voyage, one of the larger wooden coasters built in recent years, cost $6.5 million, and that is with steel supports. The cost of steel has rocketed of late.

It's in the maintenance department that wood continues to cost and cost and cost....

The advantage is, however, that over a course of time there IS a point where a steel coaster hits such a maintenance blunder that it typically is removed. Notice how we see 100 year old wooden coasters, but a steel that's more than 20 years old is slightly rare. So in theory wooden coasters last forever.

From Americana's fan site:

"A roller coaster designer visited LeSourdsville Lake in the early 1970s to view the Screechin' Eagle roller coaster. We were standing at the base of the lift hill when I asked him, 'What's the life of a coaster?' Without batting an eye, he seriously replied, 'The first big accident.' Of course, I was referring to the forces of nature acting on the wood structure but he gave me a better answer than the one I was looking for."

• 4 months later...

King Maple,

Is it not obvious that Gene Rodenberry was drinking Romulan ale when he approved the script for Star Trek IV? But it least it provided a natural continuation to Star Trek III.

What the Ferengi was Rodenberry thinking when he approvde Star Trek V: The Final Frontier? It was a pointless movie with little action. That is my opinion anyway.

Live long and prosper.

On the subject of the Fall-O-Ween festival. In 2008, the festival will be at Coney for two weekends, the last two weekends in September. In 2007, it was only open for one weekend, but was open for two weekends in 2006. It actually used to be in October, but the weather one year was bitterly cold.