Halloween Haunt Media Visit 9/28

italianchef

I hired a baby sitter and attended KI's HH Media Night with my wife and our friends Kim & Ken. The park was late in letting us in. But it was worth the wait.

We media folks enjoyed an awesome dinner of beef, pork, sushi, vegetables, cheese, fruit, cake, other foods - and a bar. I enjoyed some wine.

The only ride we did was Vortex, which I enjoy more now that it has seat belts.

We enjoyed: Club Blood, which was my favorite. I'd like to return. :rolleyes:

After that we did Masacre Manor, Death Row, carnEVIL, Red Beard's Revenge, Trail of Terror, Torture Chamber and if anything else....I cannot remember.

There were very many costumed performers, great decorations, and awesome music. I declare Halloween Haunt a success.

Best regards,

Charles aka Italian Chef

Thanks for the report, I can't wait to see the pictures from tonight once they are up. I probably won't get out to Halloween Haunt until the 13th, but I'm looking forward to it.

I went last night as well. I though Club Blood was cool, actually. However, I was disappointed with the rest. I saw no real improvements in the other haunts....except the train one was better than last year. I also didn't notice any more scareactors running around than in years past.....if anything it felt like there were fewer. I definitely think the decorations aspect of things have much improved, although after a while....a skeleton is a skeleton and the decorations lost the luster. Still, much improved in that department. While I thought International Street looked cool when you walked in, I MUCH prefer last year's version....with the guy greeting people at the front. To be as hyped up as this has been, I find that its a typical Kings Island stunt.....overhype and not delivered as promised. I'm going to go back again tonight and hit up the few haunts that we missed last night. I'll also say that this was the first night.....so we'll wait and see what its like a few weeks in.

- Todd

This is for HH period, it's listed on the HH map. The lines were not that bad at all last night, I just chose to ride last night, as I was walking the park alone, and didn't really feel like doing the haunts alone. Rides lines were pretty short all evening, with Firehawk being about 30 minutes. But after 11 the park really cleared out.

Friday Nights are predicted to be the best nights to go, they are excepting Large Crowds on Saturday Nights.

Yes that's true, they are saying, that you can't leave the park after 7pm and come back in. I also feel this is BS.

There's a good reason for no reentry. Simply put, the demographic they are attracting is the upper teenage age range, and they don't want to risk people going to their cars and partaking in drinking. It's also so that parents aren't tempted to bring their kids in to 'test the waters'. This event is not for children. Period.

Guest TombraiderTy

Howl-O-Screams at Busch Gardens Africa has the same policy- no re-admission after 7:30, which is when their event starts. I don't agree with it at all for some of my own reasons, and this made it a lot harder when you may have forgotten something in the car, need to walk somebody to the park from passenger pick-up, ect. I don't like the idea at all, and why not just reaise security around the parking lot instead?

To be as hyped up as this has been, I find that its a typical Kings Island stunt.....overhype and not delivered as promised.

-Todd

^^^agreed.

shows - ok. torture chamber was ok, even though I questioned it in another post, it was lame at best. Didn't see Dead Awakenings.

haunted attractions

club blood - best (new)

Cemetary - best zombies and better coordinated than last year

masacre manor - same as before

trail of terror - more trash to maneuver through otherwise - same

death row - where were the inmates? we only saw two, otherwise less fun than last year

construction zone - same

carnevil - same

red beards revenge - (cowboy carnage, different costumes) same

tomb stone terror-tory - same

haunts not visited Elivira, cornstalkers (undoubtedly - same as last year)

Would I pay for next years event? Probably not.

I went last night as well and even though I had a good time I didn't think it was very different than the past few years. I took my daughter and her boyfriend so I didn't get to go through any haunts because they are chicken, but we did get to ride a few things and walk around and take things in. We also checked out the Torture Chamber and Dead Awakening shows and thought that both were pretty lame. The Great Baldweenie was terrible, he only did half of the things that were advertised. Some things were pretty cool though, like the nail in his nose, but the rest was kinda lame. The Dead Awakening show was just not my kind of show. I just do not enjoy shows like that but I will say that all the performers sang and danced their hearts out and tried very hard to put on a good show. There were many people walking out of the show but I stayed till the end because I think it is rude to walk out like that, especially when the performers were doing so well. The blonde girl that is the "star" of the show was very pretty btw. She could have just stood there for 20 minutes and I could have watched her and been happy!! haha

We walked around and checked out all the haunts even though we never went into one. Club Blood looks interesting and I will definately be checking it our when I go with my friends again next Friday. The vampire chick that was outside near the entrance when the park first opened was very pretty too. Definately got me interested in going through the attraction, if only to see her again! Gotta check out Red Beard's Revenge next week too, that one looks cool. If they only had a haunted ninja attraction they would have the best of both worlds!

Next year, when they do not include Halloween Haunt admission with season passes, I will go only once if at all. After seeing last night I just don't feel it will be worth paying an upcharge for. It was the 1st night though so I will cut them some slack. I hope it improves over the next few weeks though.

Simply put, the demographic they are attracting is the upper teenage age range, and they don't want to risk people going to their cars and partaking in drinking. It's also so that parents aren't tempted to bring their kids in to 'test the waters'. This event is not for children. Period.

I love the park...but I am not blind to reality. The only "demographic" Kings Island is attempting to attract is ANYONE with money. I think overall that the park is over-hyping this event to sound a lot "worse" than previous Fearfests in hopes of getting people's hopes up that it is just so amazingly over-the-top that you don't dare miss it...when in reality it is NOT that much different than years past gore wise. (There are some really nice new decorations though.) And as for saying that this is not intended for children period...then please try and explain this, if the park cares so much about not upsetting the children under 12 why is it on both Saturday & Sunday during the regular park hours when children ARE expected to be in the park does the park still have graphically bloody items on display? (Examples are the HUGE display case of the bloody skeletons as you walk in the entrance, the cook-out set-up of body parts over near Larosa's. (I was walking by and heard a little kid asking their parent what the scene meant.) Then there is the keg party, stripper skeletons on International Street, the body bagged person on the bandstand,etc... All of this is out when children are expected to be out & about in the park. I know the park did cover-up about 4 things that they considred worse...but I don't buy that the park is THAT worried about what the children might see or not see, otherwise they would ENFORCE an age limit instead of just recommending it. It all comes down to the money. (Mr. Krabs would be proud!) And as for trying to discourage parents from bringing their children to Halloween Haunt by not allowing re-entrys how customer friendly is that, and logical. With this set-up I picture some parents making their kids endure it once their in because they know they can't take them home and come back.

I went Friday, Saturday & Sunday and I will post a trip report with pictures when I get a little time.

Kings Island is doing what I think they should, recommending. In our newer more liberal society, parents are allowing their children to see/do things that parents back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s would not even think of doing. If parents want to allow their children to see some of the things at HH that may be for a more mature audience then that's the parents problem, KI has made the recomendation, they have better things to do then play parent.

Simply put, the demographic they are attracting is the upper teenage age range, and they don't want to risk people going to their cars and partaking in drinking. It's also so that parents aren't tempted to bring their kids in to 'test the waters'. This event is not for children. Period.

I love the park...but I am not blind to reality. The only "demographic" Kings Island is attempting to attract is ANYONE with money. I think overall that the park is over-hyping this event to sound a lot "worse" than previous Fearfests in hopes of getting people's hopes up that it is just so amazingly over-the-top that you don't dare miss it...when in reality it is NOT that much different than years past gore wise. (There are some really nice new decorations though.) And as for saying that this is not intended for children period...then please try and explain this, if the park cares so much about not upsetting the children under 12 why is it on both Saturday & Sunday during the regular park hours when children ARE expected to be in the park does the park still have graphically bloody items on display? (Examples are the HUGE display case of the bloody skeletons as you walk in the entrance, the cook-out set-up of body parts over near Larosa's. (I was walking by and heard a little kid asking their parent what the scene meant.) Then there is the keg party, stripper skeletons on International Street, the body bagged person on the bandstand,etc... All of this is out when children are expected to be out & about in the park. I know the park did cover-up about 4 things that they considred worse...but I don't buy that the park is THAT worried about what the children might see or not see, otherwise they would ENFORCE an age limit instead of just recommending it. It all comes down to the money. (Mr. Krabs would be proud!) And as for trying to discourage parents from bringing their children to Halloween Haunt by not allowing re-entrys how customer friendly is that, and logical. With this set-up I picture some parents making their kids endure it once their in because they know they can't take them home and come back.

I went Friday, Saturday & Sunday and I will post a trip report with pictures when I get a little time.

You're right. There are a lot of things at HH that are left out during the day that children shouldn't see, or at least wouldn't understand.

Is it really not that much different? I mean, we'd both have two different answers since perception in this case is reality. There are a lot of things that are the same, but I'm willing to go as far as saying that for the most part, it's a pretty good improvement over years past.

They have been toying around with enforcing an age limit for years. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens next year since it'll be an upcharge. The only thing is, how do you check and ID of a 13 year old? They certainly wouldn't have one. I've heard rumors that HH is going to 18 and up, which would make a little more sense, but again, just rumors so take that for what it's worth.

I think you're misunderstanding what I meant by their 'demographic'. Yes -- they're a business and they'll take any paying customer, but let me ask you this: if you live out of your car, would Macy's not let you buy clothes at their store? They certainly would if you have the money. Macy's demographic is upscale suburbia, so that's what their marketing is directed towards... but of course, if you want to buy there, they won't stop you. Same for Halloween Haunt. Their marketing and attractions are geared towards older teens. That's who they're targeting. If you're 80 years old an you want to pay to get in, great, but it's a matter of scope.

They have been toying around with enforcing an age limit for years. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens next year since it'll be an upcharge. The only thing is, how do you check and ID of a 13 year old? They certainly wouldn't have one. I've heard rumors that HH is going to 18 and up, which would make a little more sense, but again, just rumors so take that for what it's worth.

I think limiting it to 18 and up would be a very bad idea. Heck, some of their own workers are only 16. They would be cutting off the majority of their customers. You would be surprised how many younger kids have ID's. My kids are 12 and both of them have a state ID. They have had one since they were 7. Granted the majority will not have them, but some will.

If you can take a 12 year old in to a R rated movie, why couldn't you take them to another type of attraction that is billing itself as R rated?

I think the parent needs to know their child, and what they would be comfortable with.

There are some R rated movies I would let my boys watch, and there are even more I wouldn't.

If you can take a 12 year old in to a R rated movie, why couldn't you take them to another type of attraction that is billing itself as R rated?

I think the parent needs to know their child, and what they would be comfortable with.

There are some R rated movies I would let my boys watch, and there are even more I wouldn't.

I think the problem would be less in the parents not knowing the limitations of their kids, but rather not understanding the nature of the event.

I have heard from several sources that this year there is no re-entry, either.

True?

Several here had conniptions when Kentucky Kingdom put a similar policy for their Fright Fest on their website. . .

I do not know why this is but there is NO RE-ENTRY after 7pm.

The blonde girl that is the "star" of the show was very pretty btw. She could have just stood there for 20 minutes and I could have watched her and been happy!! haha

The Blond girl is Natalie Gibson and I am sure she will get a kick out of that comment. Yes they all worked their hearts out. Josh Hobbs is the blond male, Tim Williams is the black preformer, and Matt Kopec is the dark haired male preformer. Those people are from the summer shows this year - Twisting to the Sixties and Hot Island Rhythms. I have videos on YOUTUBE of these shows.

I am glad that you appreciated their efforts - I did like the show myself and was impressed with their singing. Yes I have gotten to know these kids too and they are really sweet people.