Halloween Haunt Observations 9/28/07

robintodd

My wife and son went to the park tonight after the football game. We got there at 10:45. The park looked FANTASTIC. We rode The Beast and from the hill you could see the fog hanging over the park creating about a 25 foot ceiling! We went through the Cemetary, very nice addition. Afterward we went to Work site which impressed me as I never got to go through it last year. Cornstalkers had a line. I miss the "scare zones" They are usually my favorite part of the trip to Cedar Point and I wondered why the did away with them this year. We then rode The Beast, went through Death Row and then Massacre Manor.

We grabbed a cup of coffee and noticed the Dead Awakening (sp?) show was starting at 12:30.

I should preface this next piece by saying I was involved in theatre and dance from age 5 till 20 (including 2 years in Blue Jacket as a fronters man/soilder/white captive). My favorite theme park show of all time was Celebration at KI. The show ran for 2 years and they even pressed an album of the show (yes, vinyl ok, so I'm 37 :) ). My view on the Dead show is very mixed. The cast is FABULOUS. Great dancing and very good voices. The lights, OUTSTANDING. The soundtrack is VERY WELL DONE, probably the best soundtrack I've heard in the park in 10 years. My problem, the continuity of the show. It was hard to "follow". Alot of new music, but nothing that would bring people back for more. I expected some more "fun". Some older classics (if you consider Rob Zombie or Marilyn Manson old). They did do evernesance (sp?) and did it well. I'm not saying the show was bad, I just believe it could have been better. The Taft's spoiled me in the 80's. Their shows were very top notch. I also noticed a continutiy problem in the ice show this year. If you saw it you know what I was talking about.

I just missed some of the obvious hallowen songs even of current time. Dragula would have been awesome. The Beautiful People would have played very well when sung by a bunch of ghouls. Also, there is a song by a group called Book of Love, the song is a remake of "Tubular Bells" from the Exorsist, very nice beat. I hope I'm making sense but those are classic halloween songs. Not that all the songs were bad in the show, just maybe a more cohesive story line that was more obvious than the one presented. Yes, there is one that you catch onto about two-thirds of the way thorugh the show (I won't give it away here).

All-in-all Haloween Haunt is AWESOME. Very impressed with everyone involved, especially with the cast of the Dead show. My dissapointment is in the show, not the execution. I hope I don't come off as mean and you understand where I'm coming from. I know how hard it is to execute a show and am happy to see the addition of one. Hopefully some of the song suggestions will make it into next year......

Todd

I have to agree - Halloween Haunt is better than ever this year. Cedar Fair sure has gone to extremes with their shows - from a tame ice show in the summer to the dead awakening at Halloween Haunt. I never would have imagined a girl dancing in a white teddy with a shirtless guy doing suggestive moves. It was also interesting to see the reaction of the crowd to dead awakenings - there were many that found it offensive and left, but the dancing, lights, and sountrack were awesome.

I hope this gives Cedar Fair an idea to put a night time show back in International Showplace in the regular summer season. I will be back to see this again several more times.

And for those that went to watch the great baldani in the Paramount Theater, well, it was an interesting torture just to sit and listen to that guy for sure. This is one show I will not be back to see. It would have been better off to bring back the Monster Bash, but then they would have had to cover up more of the ice with plywood. (You could still see the Endless Summer signage behind the black curtains and burlap, which means Endless summer on ice will be back next season.)

And the best new attraction I had to give to Club Blood - an interesting concept that I thought the park pulled off very well.

Overall, a very impressive event, and Cedar Fair lived up to its promises to make Halloween Haunt bigger and better than before. It will be intersting to see next year how many season ticket holders pay the upcharge for the event.

Guest TombraiderTy

Why was Torture Chamber so bad? I haven't seen it myself, but by looking at the pictures... was it because it wasn't really frightening and didn't fit into the theme to well? Because the man was more of a street performer?

Why was Torture Chamber so bad? I haven't seen it myself, but by looking at the pictures... was it because it wasn't really frightening and didn't fit into the theme to well? Because the man was more of a street performer?

It was just boring and nothing really that impressive. The nail in the nose was cool but the rest was kinda lame.

We went through the Cemetary, very nice addition. Afterward we went to Work site which impressed me as I never got to go through it last year. Cornstalkers had a line. I miss the "scare zones" They are usually my favorite part of the trip to Cedar Point and I wondered why the did away with them this year.

Actually the three you just named, The Cemetery, The Worksite, and CornStalkers are billed as scare zones, but you have to wait in line for them, instead of walking right through. Which I can uderstand from one end, but from what I remember last year, and hear from this year it makes getting around this year pretty tough. Although I will say the quality of theming drastically improved when they added the lines, instead of just walking through, namely on The Worksite.

My view on the Dead show is very mixed. The cast is FABULOUS. Great dancing and very good voices. The lights, OUTSTANDING. The soundtrack is VERY WELL DONE, probably the best soundtrack I've heard in the park in 10 years. My problem, the continuity of the show. It was hard to "follow".

Todd

Yes I agree the acting and the singing was fantastic!!! I was very impressed with Josh Hobbs, Tim Williams and Matt Kopec from their summer shows - Twisting to the Sixties and Hot Island Rhythm - those are the same great people out there. Natalie Gibson is the lead female vocalist and she does an awesome job!! I do agree in the fact that they should have gathered a few more "halloween" type songs. The dancing was fantastic as well.

I have to agree - Halloween Haunt is better than ever this year. Cedar Fair sure has gone to extremes with their shows - from a tame ice show in the summer

Did you happen to know that one of the skaters barely missed the olympics??? The one that does the fantastic solo. Several of those ice skaters do this professionally year around. The female that does the beautiful patriotic dancing has been with Disney On Ice - which is at US BANK Arena this week.

As for Cedar Fair - yes since they have purchased the park there are improvements all over the place. I had mixed feelings about their purchase but since a year has gone by I am extremely impressed with the improvements.

As for Halloween Haunt - I think it is much better than last year - the only thing that has decreased is the creepers preformance - there are maybe four good creepers - the others seem afraid to slide after anyone. One of the better ones quit - unfortunately. Our wonderful Dane, ICPcreeper, the creeper in the hat and one that is dressed similar to Dane are freaking awesome this year. The rest seem afraid to move. The scareactors that wander are doing a great job. Yea I miss Chris this year but hey he moved up to management of the Cemetery and does a great job there. Mike Bundy can be seen at The Terror Within located by Turtle Creek Flea Market - I hear that is scary too. Our famous Don the Undertaker was not able to come back due to health reasons. I do believe that Jonathan does a fantastic job in his place "my friends want to meet you some of them want to eat you he he he he..." is great!

....anyone happen to see a little blue alien running around Action Zone this past weekend?

If so, tell him Invader ZIM called. He wants his robot flying pig thing back.

yes that little blue alien has been seen many many times scaring me!!! He is lightening fast and hard to catch so good luck getting him RINGMASTER he he......you little alien you...

Hun you are doing a great job out there and I am having a blast trying to find you - it is like my kidney faced Scott is back. We had a running game last year. I tried to keep an eye on him and he went out of his way to get me anyway - he usually won!! That creeper got me no less than 30 times a night. He is now located in Southern California in the US Marines. He is suppose to be around town at Christmas but told me he really misses Halloween Haunt and wishes like crazy he could do it this year too!!!

I make sure to go to Action Zone any time i have a chance so I can check up on my favorite little alien!!! I have a few hazzardous waste fellows that have fun making me jump too - geese I adore you guys!!!