Tulsa State Fair Wildcat Accident

Another reason why I hate fair rides. The Operators look scary, and errors do happen.

You know I have generally found too that the more attractive employees working, the safer the ride is.

I don't mean scary as in Halloween scary, I mean, as in dirty, missing teeth, etc. Just not the most professional looking people is all.

Yeah I agree, if you don't care/know how to take a shower, you probably wont care/know how to run a ride. Thats one decent thing about Kissel Bros. Mama Kissel forces every one of her crew to take a shower. More than can be said for others! Cough...Durant...cough

Yeah I agree, if you don't care/know how to take a shower, you probably wont care/know how to run a ride. Thats one decent thing about Kissel Bros. Mama Kissel forces every one of her crew to take a shower. More than can be said for others! Cough...Durant...cough

OK, help me with that logic and how is it that you know about the carnies showering habits. Inquiring minds simply want to know.

Woofer, I used to work in the Entertainment Industry with a traveling show, and you reminded me of an old saying that I used to hear...

"There are three types of show people....professionals, circus people, and carnies....you sir are a carny!!!

I always wanted to get this on a t-shirt!

OK, help me with that logic and how is it that you know about the carnies showering habits. Inquiring minds simply want to know.

I have spent some time around Kissel Bros. operations, and have gotten to know a few people on their staff. My dad is on the Fairboard for the Union County Fair, and was Vice President of it last year. In any case, my dad is in charge of hiring the carnival rides company for the fair and has had that obligation for the past 13 years. I have spent time visiting my dad for the whole week for the last 5 years or so, and have been included on many different business dealings while the fair has gone on. Also pending enough signatures on my petition I plan on being on the Montgomery County Fairboard the year after next. So by virtue of being around these situations I have been able to see many of the operations of the different ride operators. In one particular event this year, a few ride operators threw a bit of a tantrum about having to take a shower, wash their clothes and not smoke around the rides. This is when I got the priveledge of meeting mama Kissel. I never got to know her by her first name just, "mama", she is Dwayne Kissels wife, I believe, and doesnt take much hassle from anybody, but she was a real nice woman, made many visits up to the fair office. She was nice to talk to, especially considering how I work at KI. It was nice to see how they handle things!

So....WooferBearATL, is that enough for you? Or would you like to know more? I have many other memorable memories that I can share. This years fair, was a blast!

And that ^^ is why I made my statements!

I have spent some time around Kissel Bros. operations, and have gotten to know a few people on their staff. My dad is on the Fairboard for the Union County Fair, and was Vice President of it last year. In any case, my dad is in charge of hiring the carnival rides company for the fair and has had that obligation for the past 13 years. I have spent time visiting my dad for the whole week for the last 5 years or so, and have been included on many different business dealings while the fair has gone on. Also pending enough signatures on my petition I plan on being on the Montgomery County Fairboard the year after next. So by virtue of being around these situations I have been able to see many of the operations of the different ride operators. In one particular event this year, a few ride operators threw a bit of a tantrum about having to take a shower, wash their clothes and not smoke around the rides. This is when I got the priveledge of meeting mama Kissel. I never got to know her by her first name just, "mama", she is Dwayne Kissels wife, I believe, and doesnt take much hassle from anybody, but she was a real nice woman, made many visits up to the fair office. She was nice to talk to, especially considering how I work at KI. It was nice to see how they handle things!

So....WooferBearATL, is that enough for you? Or would you like to know more? I have many other memorable memories that I can share. This years fair, was a blast!

And that ^^ is why I made my statements!

That hits how you know showering habits of carnies but does nothing to explain the logic behind how it affects rides being operated safely.

I dont have any concrete evidence on the statement, thats why it was my opinion and in no way shape or form that it was a fact.

I simply trust a guy who wants to take a shower and hold himself as a professional, more than a guy who doesnt when it comes to operating a ride that im on! How is that not my right, to analyze the situation and not like it?

Part of the reason I wont eat fast food, if I walk in and see the guy at the fry station with bloodshot eyes, and pick his nose.

Same way if I walk in, and you are sitting there looking like a highschool dropout, no way in hell am I going to get an insurance quote from you! Notice I said looking like one...if you dont look like one but were one, I feel much better knowing that you at least appreciate what you do enough to look the part, and that is fine with me!

• Like 1

TEAR it down! How does this happen twice in 5 days? Noone answer, I dont even want to know. This is rediculous, sounds like the ride needs 25 blocks...that might do it! Since the last accident involved operator error (I believe? not sure on that part) 25 blocks sounds like a needed feature!

TEAR it down! How does this happen twice in 5 days? Noone answer, I dont even want to know. This is rediculous, sounds like the ride needs 25 blocks...that might do it! Since the last accident involved operator error (I believe? not sure on that part) 25 blocks sounds like a needed feature!

This is a coaster forum. You spelled "TAER' wrong!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

Sounds like they need to add a sensor toward the beginning of the ride such that if the previous car has not passed that point, it will not allow the dispatching of the car.

That or hire people that are smart enough to understand, "dont send the car, untill that car gets to there [points at track]..."

See also Alton Towers.

• Like 4

None of the article links above work, so I went looking for them on the Wayback Machine. The first three are not available there (two simply aren't archived, and one due to an unnecessarily restrictive/paranoid robots.txt). The last one (posted here October 17, 2007), though, can be found here: http://web.archive.org/web/20090218120916/http://www.kotv.com/news/topstory/?id=138062

• Like 2