How Do You Rate Dead Awakening?

BoddaH1994

Wow what a hot topic.

At least with Dead Awakening there IS a story to follow. The music flows beautifully with the story line. Lots of emotion is in those words that they sing and in some cases I feel they sing them better than the original recording artists.

this is the part i apparently don't understand. i didn't catch the story line. i don't see the flow. i don't know if the singers were any good because they were drowned out by the music. now i enjoy a good scare as well as

anyone, but i didn't see where this connected to halloween. the part with the hanging i assume

was about suicide. many teenagers these days are in a fragile state of mind and i don't feel this is what they need exposed to. i have 1 teenage girl and 2 grown daughters. i would never have knowingly let them see shows like this.

I do not find it that rude to walk out of a show mid-way if you are not enjoying it...for whatever reason. A performer should be aware that these things happen all the time and not take it too personally. (BUT if several people are walking out nightly maybe someone should step back and examine the possible reasons in order to rectify the "problem".) The people I find rude are the ones who don't leave and talk during the show like it's not even going on...and of course anyone who boos should be shown the door.

Also...even if someone doesn't "choose" to experience Dead Awakening it can sometimes be thrust upon them...I "had" to listen to about 15 minutes of it while standing in line for Cornstalkers.

this is the part i apparently don't understand. i didn't catch the story line. i don't see the flow. i don't know if the singers were any good because they were drowned out by the music. now i enjoy a good scare as well as anyone, but i didn't see where this connected to halloween. the part with the hanging i assume was about suicide. many teenagers these days are in a fragile state of mind and i don't feel this is what they need exposed to. i have 1 teenage girl and 2 grown daughters. i would never have knowingly let them see shows like this.

The storyline for things like this are always open for interpretation. My take on it is that the girl was fatally injured in the car accident and the whole show was her mirage or vision before ultimately expiring.

I do not find it that rude to walk out of a show mid-way if you are not enjoying it...for whatever reason. A performer should be aware that these things happen all the time and not take it too personally. (BUT if several people are walking out nightly maybe someone should step back and examine the possible reasons in order to rectify the "problem".) The people I find rude are the ones don't leave and talk during the show like it's not even going on...and of course anyone who boos should be shown the door.

Percentage-wise, no more people walk out of DA than walked out of Twistin' to the 60s. It just seems like more because a lot more people are initially seeing Dead Awakening. Like I said before, the Showplace is kind of a 'come and go as you please' type of venue, so people showing up late for the show and walking out is very typical.

this is the part i apparently don't understand. i didn't catch the story line. i don't see the flow. i don't know if the singers were any good because they were drowned out by the music. now i enjoy a good scare as well as

anyone, but i didn't see where this connected to halloween. the part with the hanging i assume

was about suicide. many teenagers these days are in a fragile state of mind and i don't feel this is what they need exposed to. i have 1 teenage girl and 2 grown daughters. i would never have knowingly let them see shows like this.

If you dont expose them to the horrifying side of suicide and all of the truly bad things associated with it how can you truly know that you are keeping them from considering it? I understand your intent, and your methods are completely your right, but don't you think that if you let them see how bad it is then they will deffinately never attempt or think of such things? Forgive me for being overly intentive but I can't help but think that your words of "don't ever do this" are not nearly as good as seeing a production that showcases how horrific suicide is.

Keep in mind, you do not know what you dont wan't to do, until you've seen an actions effects first hand or dramatized.

Think about the time that you learned about what "hot" meant. It was probably when your mom told you not to touch the hot stove and you did it anyways.

Or the first time that you realized its not good to speed and got a ticket, or hit a tree.

I am really not trying to be intrusive into your ideals, but am rather intrigued always have been, by others opinions and how they arrived at them. Kind of why I love politics!

^ I've gotta disagree with you on this one. If anything, the show glorified the suicide. Not saying they should take it out of the show or anything... suicide is absolutely horrific. My friends as well as my place of work were affected by something not unlike what was in the show, but again -- it's entertainment. I can't read into it more than what it's worth.

As for coastergirl hun we will have to see if we can get together on those shows because I enjoyed them and was often alone watching them. Somehow my Hot Island Rhythm friends did not let me feel too alone as they would sit in my area during the ice shows and surprised me on one of the shows. I had parked my scooter in the slot for it and sat in the middle section so as not to block the view of others. Well I heard someone shouting my name and looked over to see two full rows of young adults waving at me!! Yes it was the cast of the summer shows. I felt like the most special person on earth to have so many wonderful people that excited to see me!! They are not only talented people but they are also extremely nice and well mannered college kids. After that my 5pm ice shows I just stayed in that section as those great kids always sat there. To pay them back I video taped those summer shows and posted them on Youtube as FearFestKaren.

I may have to take you up on that offer! I can usually get my husband to sit with me. He did sit through Hot Island and Twistin to the 60s. I'm not sure if he liked them, especially Hot island but I liked them a lot. I think that I embarrass him sometimes because I tend to sing along and if I had ANY rhythm I would get up and dance. I know, I'm a dork, but I can't help it! :)

I thought the Dead Awakening show on Opening Night was fantastic. Edgy, contemporary, lots of energy, and haunting, as it was meant to be. It had none of the cheesy theme-park song and dance feel of some of the summer shows.

Some of the talent was fantastic, although I feel that the blonde lead's voice fell a little short. I have subsequently seen it 4 times - the horribly watered-down version the following weekend, and the almost-back-to-normal version the following weeks. I find it incredibly rude that people leave during the show, and imagine how the performers must feel too.

By comparison, I saw Torture Chamber twice. I thought it was just terrible the first time, but gave it a second chance. I should not have. The "un-Great" Baldini lacks charisma, plain and simple, and he is even more suggestive in the way that he treats his female assistants than Dead Awakening. (I was asked to come up on stage to assist, and mercifully declined - a wise decision, as it turns out.) I have seen similar freak shows at Chicago's Great America, and was impressed not just by the tricks, but by the performers. Baldini can do the tricks, but just does not measure up as a performer.

I guess I'll go ahead and throw in my two cents, since it's such a hot topic...

This show was completely over hyped by pretty much everyone on here. My expectations were extremely high and I expected something completely different than what I saw. But I still gave this a 3 out of 5.

I had no idea they changed the show and then changed it again. The show I saw on Saturday looked more like the video of it posted on Youtube, so apparently they've changed it back. (I saw the video after actually seeing the show.) I didn't really notice if the guy was shirtless or not, but I really think he did have a shirt on. I did notice that the "B" word is no longer used in the show, and as for the "F" word? It's weird...I know what song that word appears in, but look up the lyrics to that song some time, and you may be surprised. I'll discuss this further a little later, maybe.

I'll say that they did a good job of choosing the songs--a lot of contemporary stuff there. Was any of it better than the original? Not that I heard--except of course for maybe the song "Toxic" which has probably never been truly performed live, at least not by the original "artist". (I just realized that someone else made pretty much the same comment...LOL.)

There's no denying the talent of the performers though, that's why I can't give this anything less than a 3 out of 5. And I can't really give it more than that because it is all singing, there is no real apparent story line (although there is something to be said about the title), and it's nothing all that edgy in my opinion. There are shows just as edgy on network television.

But I had the same experience as most of you: people were laughing, walking out, and I overheard at least two people make comments as to how many kids there were in the theater after the announcement came over.

As for coastergirl hun we will have to see if we can get together on those shows because I enjoyed them and was often alone watching them. Somehow my Hot Island Rhythm friends did not let me feel too alone as they would sit in my area during the ice shows and surprised me on one of the shows. I had parked my scooter in the slot for it and sat in the middle section so as not to block the view of others. Well I heard someone shouting my name and looked over to see two full rows of young adults waving at me!! Yes it was the cast of the summer shows. I felt like the most special person on earth to have so many wonderful people that excited to see me!! They are not only talented people but they are also extremely nice and well mannered college kids. After that my 5pm ice shows I just stayed in that section as those great kids always sat there. To pay them back I video taped those summer shows and posted them on Youtube as FearFestKaren.

I may have to take you up on that offer! I can usually get my husband to sit with me. He did sit through Hot Island and Twistin to the 60s. I'm not sure if he liked them, especially Hot island but I liked them a lot. I think that I embarrass him sometimes because I tend to sing along and if I had ANY rhythm I would get up and dance. I know, I'm a dork, but I can't help it! :)

Coastergirl, you are so on with this one!!! If the shows next year are any where near as good as they were this year you got a show partner!! Believe it or not I gained other show partners and friends due to these shows. They were really good and others felt the same so we kind of met up and watched them together quite a bit. I was also fortunate enough to have met some of the parents who thanked me a lot for putting those shows on YOUTUBE. LOL

As for the Original Dead Awakening show on youtube - it was a horrible job - most of the parts were missing - the issue has been found and I am currently getting them taken down and redone with everything intact. By Wednesday the original Dead Awakening will be on Youtube. Before the changes started to take place.

As for the suicide of Josh Hobbs character - I really did not think it was glorified - more so he was crying out 'is anyone out there?" to me he was crying out for help that was not there.. as "it's getting harder and harder to breath" harder to live with the heavy burden. Cries for help that family and friends often do not see or hear. But that is just my take on that part.

As for the story line - you have to be open enough to get your own take on that. Basically there was an accident - and to me she was in a "coma" and dreaming this before her ultimate death. Possibly her wanting to go faster and faster was a result of her "boyfriend's" suicide. The real upside down car aludes to the fact there was a serious accident, maybe her own attempts at suicide, and the show takes it from there.

As for the halloween relevance?? Did you happen to see all of the goulish dancers??? Looks of death?? Not all of halloween is pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns. I believe I saw several zombies and last I looked that was part of a halloween theme. Cemetery Tombstones all over - check out those names on the stones lol.

I guess I really paid attention and saw past the costumes and dancing to see something more.

As for being forced to hear the music - what music stations do you listen to?? Those were contempory songs played on most rock stations. Kings Island regularly plays music all over the park from the same artists that originated the Dead Awakening songs so that comment is kind of out in left field. Unless you listen to country or other types of rock. Those songs are not even hard rock - more so easy to medium rock. Did you happen to catch a song by Britney spears - Toxic, and Evanescense - Bring me to Life?? Not exactly hard rock there. Welcome to my nightmare I believe is an Alice Cooper song but one of his slower ones!! My daughter could tell you all of the original recording artists.

Honestly I did not see anything out there that was all that suggestive - they wore more clothes than you catch at the local swimming place and no one has issues with that...the dancing was not that suggestive in my opinion I am sorry. I have seen a lot worse than that on music videos that typically parents have no problems letting their children watch.

Haunted Halloween type things are rarely ever for children under 13 years of age. The 13 and under variety usually go to places like Burget Farm or those cute hayrides through out the area. I think Nick or Treat is an awesome place to take the kids as well. Maybe it is the kid in me but I honestly have a lot of fun doing the Nick or Treat things with my grandchildren. There is a lot in Kings Island Halloween events that honestly appeal to me.

Basically if Dead Awakening is not for you - please do not go. Again and I have said this over and over all over the site - read, gather information and make knowledgable decisions on where you want to go and the things that interest you but please do not expect others to feel the same way that you do. I sure don't. I like the shows this year. I feel that Kevin has outdone himself on them and Adam has done an excellent job as well. The preformers worked hard and in extremely hot temperatures. But that is just ME. All of us are ONE of many people that visit the park each year.

I do not want them to "sit back and re-evaluate" things and water them down. That, to me anyway, is trying to force censorship on others. If they water down that show are they next going to water down the scares in the haunts at Kings Island too?

As for being forced to hear the music - what music stations do you listen to??

I do not listen to radio...radio is what has ruined the music scene today. Thanks to the current administration...they changed the laws that were around for DECADES. Before "W" there was a set limit on how many stations one person/company could own but he lifted that limit. The reason a limit had existed in the past was to limit one person/companys influence on the country. Now with so few different station owners a few companys decide what they think the public should listen to...look up Clear Channel. I work in an independent music store...one of the last few remaining in the country so thankfully I do not have to rely on the radio.

Unless you listen to country or other types of rock.

Yes I listen to "other types of rock"...but I am diversified. In my original post I did not say I was offended...and I wasn't, I was just pointing out that over and over people have said that if you do not WANT to "experience" the show, don't go...well I didn't go but I still "had" to listen to some of it just by waiting in line for Cornstalkers.

I do not want them to "sit back and re-evaluate" things and water them down. That, to me anyway, is trying to force censorship on others.

I did not say "water them down". It could be that the people who are walking out are not offended in the least...they may just find the show not good for some reason...it could be the music selection, the performance etc... It is only SMART to try and figure out what people do and do not like about the show. Broadway shows do a lot of "tweaking" to get thing "just right".

I do not listen to radio...radio is what has ruined the music scene today. Thanks to the current administration...they changed the laws that were around for DECADES. Before "W" there was a set limit on how many stations one person/company could own but he lifted that limit. The reason a limit had existed in the past was to limit one person/companys influence on the country. Now with so few different station owners a few companys decide what they think the public should listen to...look up Clear Channel. I work in an independent music store...one of the last few remaining in the country so thankfully I do not have to rely on the radio.

Actually it was not George W. Bush who lifted the "ban". It was the "Telecomunnications Act of 1996" that was approved by then preisdent Bill Clinton, that allowed Clear Channel to have such a large market share, even as up to as many as 7 stations in one market. They also don't decide what the public should listen to, they decide what they feel is appropriate to be played on their airwaves and the public has a choice of whether not they want to listen.

Actually it was not George W. Bush who lifted the "ban". It was the "Telecomunnications Act of 1996" that was approved by then preisdent Bill Clinton, that allowed Clear Channel to have such a large market share, even as up to as many as 7 stations in one market. They also don't decide what the public should listen to, they decide what they feel is appropriate to be played on their airwaves and the public has a choice of whether not they want to listen.

Hi,

I was not aware that Bill also had a hand in this! I did not remember that. I am referring to when George upped it even more in 2003...now it's 45%. Here is another link that states what I am talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration...media_ownership

I disagree with you that they when all is said and done that they don't decide what THEY think the public should listen to. Companys such as Clear Channel have a "formula" that they apply to their stations across the country. In our small town we have 5 radio stations, 3 are owned by the same company. In the end, when you have just a few program directors deciding what the major radio stations are playing you get less variety...just ask the record labels. (I am sure payola is still alive and well...just not so obvious.)

P.S. I think we did a good job at hijacking this thread...and thanks for the history lesson!

Heh, I remember back before Haunt started that DA didn't even have a car for the crash scene at the beginning of the show, so they had to steal one of worksite's cars. The overturned car by the Showplace stage used to be right where the 'family' minivan is now along the fearzone route right-side-up.

Also, I wanna meet Natalie Gibson too! :( I've only seen parts of the show while working in Park Services, but she still kicks ass from what little I've seen.

Hi,

I was not aware that Bill also had a hand in this! I did not remember that. I am referring to when George upped it even more in 2003...now it's 45%. Here is another link that states what I am talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration...media_ownership

I disagree with you that they when all is said and done that they don't decide what THEY think the public should listen to. Companys such as Clear Channel have a "formula" that they apply to their stations across the country. In our small town we have 5 radio stations, 3 are owned by the same company. In the end, when you have just a few program directors deciding what the major radio stations are playing you get less variety...just ask the record labels. (I am sure payola is still alive and well...just not so obvious.)

P.S. I think we did a good job at hijacking this thread...and thanks for the history lesson!

Nowhere in the link you posted does it say anything about "W.", any legistlation he enacted towards media consolidation, but in fact it jsut keeps refrencing the link I posted earlier about the telecomunnications act of 96. And I do agree, there is less variety on the radio these days, but at the same time ther are many other viable alternatives to listening to the radio.

Yes I listen to "other types of rock"...but I am diversified. In my original post I did not say I was offended...and I wasn't, I was just pointing out that over and over people have said that if you do not WANT to "experience" the show, don't go...well I didn't go but I still "had" to listen to some of it just by waiting in line for Cornstalkers.

I listen to very diversified music too. Heck, I drove 1,000 miles to New York City just to see Silverchair play at a small bar in the Bowry that was maybe 1/3 of the size of Bogarts. If you sift through my mess of CDs in my glovebox or even listen to my burt CDs, you'll find all sorts of country, rock, rap, jazz, blues, conemporary, gospel, etc etc etc. Does it mean that I didn't enjoy the show? Of course not. I can honestly say that with the exception of the Alice Cooper songs (sorry, childhood favorite) I wouldn't listen to a single one of them on my own.

I did not say "water them down". It could be that the people who are walking out are not offended in the least...they may just find the show not good for some reason...it could be the music selection, the performance etc... It is only SMART to try and figure out what people do and do not like about the show. Broadway shows do a lot of "tweaking" to get thing "just right".

You're right, and they did. That's why the show started off the way it did, changed, then changed again.

Just because you don't like the music that is played on the radio doesn't mean it's ruined per se. I do agree that there is a lot of garbage out there, but there is a lot of good stuff too. Don't forget that for every 1 person with the mentality of "I only like bands you've never heard of" there are probably 100,000 people who do genuinely enjoy the music that is played on the radio. They could make the same argument against your music saying that it's not on the radio because it's not good enough. It's just a matter of taste.

Again -- I bring up the point that if you... and let's say 10 of the people around you didn't enjoy overhearing the show, there were likely 1,200 packed into the venue enjoying it. Personally, I thought Corn Stalkers was on the lame side, but it doesn't mean that I think they should shut it down because it inconvenienced my typical route around the park. When it comes down to it, everyone was warned that HH was for adults, they were warned that specifically Dead Awakening had certain content and there's really no argument about that. It is unfortunate that some people in line for CornStalkers had watch it despite the fact that they didn't want to, but that's purely circumstantial.

Don't think I'm picking on you, that's not my intention. If I didn't respect your opinion, I wouldn't argue with you. :rolleyes:

Radio stations are out to make MONEY. Money comes from people purchasing ad space, ad space value comes from the amount of listeners, and listers ultimately dictate what music is played. There's a good reason why you hear the same songs on the radio -- that's what people are listening to. I assure you that even if someone launched a completely independent radio station, within months they wouldn't be playing the music *they* want to play.

Again, it's a matter of taste. For all you Cincinnatians -- I don't particularly like the direction WEBN is going. I'm kind of tired of hearing Metallica every other song... but hey, if they quit doing that, less people would listen. Even with that station, back in the Jaycore (sp?) days, the format and music was very similar to what it is now under Clearchannel.

Why not expand the argument into the news? Do you know how many TV channels Scripps-Howard owns? Heck what about CBS? NBC? FOX? ABC? They ultimately control the TV you watch. Want to throw down the 'cable TV card'? That adds maybe 3 or 4 more corporations. Not too much worse than radio if you think about it. The sad part is, there IS independent TV. You know those channels between like 6 and 15 on your tuner that either show random school programs or church services? That's all completely done by the public and its viewership is next to nothing. The only reason those channels are in existance is because of the tax break they create.

The reason why I have so much to say is that I have done a lot of research into popular culture. Essentially what makes things "cool" in the eyes of the general public. If you want to put one person's name on having creative control over the popular culture of the US (and thus the world) it's a man named Sumner Redstone. If that name rings a bell it's becuase he used to own an amusement park in Mason until recently. He's the chairman of Viacom and in case you guys weren't paying attention to Tuned In a few years back, Viacom owns such channels as MTV, VH1, BET, CMT, and Nickelodeon as well as Paramount Pictures and a laundry list of other important and influential assets. With the exception of MAYBE the Disney Corporation, his company controls most of what people see as pop culture, all the way from young children to adults.

Also, I wanna meet Natalie Gibson too! sad.gif I've only seen parts of the show while working in Park Services, but she still kicks ass from what little I've seen.

You may remember Mrs. Gibson from a little show called Twstin' to the 60s. VERY talented.

Ok....I've stayed out of this for awhile, but I feel I must put in a little input. First of all, this show's "plotline", much like many theme park shows, is open to interpretation. The show is not designed to have a plot slap you in the face and say "here I am!" This is not a 2 hour broadway show that you pay $100 to see. Although I think that many people have agreed on the general idea that the show is built upon.

As for the discussion about the "B" word and the "F" word. Ultimately the answer for the "B" word is yes....it was originally in the show, its part of the song that was not originally deemed necessary to censor, and it is a word that the park felt was ok to use in the adult-oriented event. As for the "F" bomb, I can say with 100% certainty that it was NEVER used in the show.....in fact it is one of the few words that is still deemed too explict for use even at this adult event. I know for a fact that they say the word "Funk" and not F**K. This is the radio-edit version of the song that they use in Dead Awakening, if you look on Lyrics on Demand you will find that this is also what the song is referred to as on the CD cover.

Lyrics On Demand

As for people leaving the show in the middle....as many others have stated here, this is a common occurance for ANY theme park show, especially ones in an outdoor venue. The average theme park guest will only remain attentive to this style of show for 15-20mins, and most are not at the park just to see a show, they see it as something to do while they take a break. So dont think that the walk-outs are an indication of the shows popularity or failure, take a look at the ratio between the good guest comments vs. the guest complaints....the good ones prevail.

Actually....its not about what they hear, I believe the complaint was that they SAID the "F" word....which they dont, thats the point I am making. People who dont listen carefully enough to understand what is said, shouldnt be a reason for the park shouldnt be a reason for the park to come under fire. Kevin and the Entertainment department, believe it or not....are very aware of the products they put on display,and should not be criticized over something someone mis-heard.

I have met and gotten to know Miss Gibson a little bit. She is a very nice and very approachable young woman. I think very highly of her. SHe was not only in Twisting to the Sixties show but also part of the Hot Island Rhythms show. Anyone that took the time to see that show could have easily not only talked to Natalie but also gotten several pictures with her. I know we did and she was as sweet as she could be to everyone. I think she has amazing talent and it shows in Dead Awakening along with her performances all summer long.

• 1 month later...

Reviving an old topic, but I had to throw in my 2 cents.

First off, Natalie Gibson is a very sweet and personable woman. I would know.. I went to high school with her and we were both in a competition show choir together.

Second, I understand that DA was more of an adult-oriented show, but how could you not get the warnings beforehand? And if the elements in the show bother you, take a look at some high school productions. Many a times I've seen high school show choirs contain a taste of the behavior that was in DA. Not like a "no-holds-barred" deal, but it's not a kids show either.