New Beast and SOB Trains in '08?

FOFirehawkFAN

For the ride experince I think the G-Trains would be good but visually I think they would look silly on there. I think Cedar Fair knows that The Beast is basiclly Kings Islands back bone and they are only going to do whats best for the ride. Most of you on this site are just people who love Kings Island not engineers or maintance crew for the park and you truely don't know the condtion of The Beast.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where has it been said that Beast is getting worse? You work in ent. for HH not wood coaster maintenace dont you? :P The Beast has never been better.

It may be better than ever.....but that doesn't mean its good :-) I actually would be all for new trains, as long as the padding doesn't become an issue. The PTCs on Beast suck....ever paid attention to how sloppy those things track around the turns? That turn that leads into the shed brakes is the worse. I'm not as concerned about the capacity. I think if they can get a new blocking sytem in place and get the lifts to haul the trains up at a more consistent pace (instead of crawling, speeding up then slowing back to a crawl before going over the crest) it could shorten the ride time and help with capacity. You may be on the ride for 4:50, but how much of that is spent on the lifts? :-) A lot.

- Todd

The reason you go so slowly up lift one sometimes, is that you are waiting for the other train to clear lift two. From the top of lift one to the top of lift two is one block section. This means that a train on lift one can`t leave lift one until the train on lift two has left lift two.

I just don`t understand how people besides me are not concerned with the capacity of this ride if the capacity of the trains was cut by a third.

Pardon me if i missed anyting but i dont keep up on this site very well. Being at the park i can tell you that there are three six car villain trains are at Kings Island back where the cobra track used to sit. Thats the track down the road from Firehawk not by SOB. I have a few pics but not on digital sorry. There is also one six car raging wolf bobs train there as well (im going to miss that lil woody). As far as SOB getting a third train i wouldnt count on it. I would have a feeling that a train would get stopped in the block brakes EVERY time. But i could see them adding a 7th car to the train (with raging wolf bobs cars that is). As far as what the villain trains may be used for think of this... Racer has a total of four trains with five cars each. so thats 20 cars total. Villain had three six car trains which would be 18. So unless they are going to run 3 racer trains with 5 cars and one train with 3 which i would think a chance in H*** that would happen you can guess where they may end up. Its not a problem of maken a train run backwards. I however think they may make the ride more enjoyable but whoes to say anything at this point...

sometimes i feel im the only one still pulling for CF. May be pulling 2000 pounds of s*** up hill with a 10 pound test string but im pullen... What they may sell Great America to the 49ers to make a parking lot for their new stadium.. wheres my knife lol

believe me, I'm just as concerned, on crowded days, The Beast can get a pretty long wait, now with less capacity, multiply that wait time by 3!!!

Very good point. And, even on days when the park isn't crowded, its still a tradition to ride The Beast at night and there's always a line at the end of the day. The reduced capacity would have a HUGE effect after dark!

I wander why the trains are at KI.. they are here for a reason. I think it's more likely for us to get both rides then have them replace The Beasts and SOB's trains. Im not saying that the two rides are coming to KI but if they where to.. where would they go? I think maybe 1 in X-Base [if so they could rename X-BASE "Little Geauga Lake" And by the way Villain would go in X-BASE and Raging Wolfe Bobs would either go in Coney Mall or... Rivertown/Internation Street.

^ Any coaster, wood or steel, takes a tremendous amount of money.

And to be honest, Firehawk being a flying coaster (station constuction), it would not surprise me in the least if it would be just as expensive or more than the cost of a ride like Villian.

I really hope that people here are not for changing trains on The Beast or SOB and replacing them with Villain's trains. Those trains are horrible. Not a comfortable ride at all. The only cool part was the open front of the car.

Well they have a set of numerous new trains, and whats with the old king cobra ones, as I said before i wonder why in the world they still have them. If your gonna keep them around it has to be for a good reason and since there isnt another stand up steel at the park I dont understand the point of keeping them. Build a new stand up steel and use old cars..... ehhh not so much

There are pictures of the trains at KI:

How do we know those pics were taken at KI?

I'm not trying to be a conspiracy theorist here, but, if I had the trains in my backyard, I could take the same type of pics and say that the cars are at KI.

Can any of the numerous employees that frequent this bored confirm seeing the cars at the park w/o getting themselves into trouble?

Actually those trains have not been on The Beast since it opened. The Beast opened with 4 row cars, and now they have 3 row cars.

However Racer has had the same trains since 1972.

Actually they are the same trains. Racer and Beast's current trains are built upon the original chasis that once supported the 4 row cars, they were just modified, given some newer parts that were manufactured by PTC. The fronts of the trains, the bumpers on the rear, and a lot of other things are all original. In 2006 both Beast and Racer received newer restraints.

HUH?

Shooting Star had three bench trains. Two of them. That were moved to become two of the four Twin Racer trains. And the flip down bars disappeared a LONG time before 2006. Not to mention the appearance of seat dividers, Volvo type head restraints, the pads on the side walls of The Beast, etc.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...%3Doff%26sa%3DG

Ok. Some of this is repeating myself but here it goes.

IT's not about the trains being worn our or not. The trains TEAR UP THE TRACK. They are non articulated meaning the back axels do not steer like newere trains do.

The Beast is aging and getting worse. Sure new track clears up a lot of problems but PKI had the whole fan turn after the fist drop structure rebuilt and reinforced in 2003. Other areas of the ride need this replacement now.

I really find the whole the G trains are unpadded crap to be quite funny as you've been ridding on hard foam for years (HIGHBACKS)

I do think the trains will look a little weird on it but the experience will not suffer.

If the ride cycles faster due to faster load times. Whats the capacity issue? They could always buy another train and add a extra car (SOMETHING THAT WAS DONE ORIGINALLY TO BEAST)

Beast was designed for FOUR TRAINS. IT NEVER RAN THEM. THE FOURTH TRAIN WAS BROKEN UP AND A CAR PER TRAIN ADDED, THE EXTRA CARS SAT BEHIND THE MIDCOURSE FOR DECADES.

Sorry bout the caps. Im no yelling. It's emphasis on POINTS.

Chuck, don't knock em till you try em. IM QUITE EXCITED OVER THIS!

I am glad you mentioned high density urethane foam (hard foam). The ONLY PTC's that seem to run them in the USA are Rolling Thunder at SFGAd, all Ohio wood coasters with PTCs now, and the PTCs at Six Flags Over Georgia. Almost all of these PTCs used to have soft cushioning. (I don't think Mean Streak ever did).

The difference is especially noticeable when comparing Tornado before and after the hard foam was put in. It reduces maintenance on the trains' interiors, but at the expense of the ride. I can only imagine The Georgia Cyclone with properly cushioned trains. It's great now, it would be better still.

As for the Gerstlauer trains, I can still remember when I saw my first set, along with Delirium_Guy, at CCI headquarters in West Chester, before they were installed on the then Twisted Sisters (now Twisted Twins). Denise Dinn (then Larrick) went on and on about the thick, lush padding. We weren't allowed to touch the trains, but I was dubious. Unfortunately, my fears were confirmed with my first G train ride. Sigh.

According to a lot of speculation on the GLToday forums Kings Island already has all three Villain trains and the former Legend train on site. And that the Villain trains are for Beast and the Legend train will be to give SOB a third. Does anyone think this is true/false or can anyone confirm/deny this?

no, The Beast has 4 trains already, why put a 5th one on even though they run 3.

Son of Beast can only run 2 trains. as in one on the block brakes and one in the station. there would be a crash if they put a third one on.

Uh, no. The Beast has three trains, each train having six cars holding six people for a total of thirty six people per train. The GCI trains have six cars per train as well. However, they only have four people per car, so the total train capacity is twenty four as opposed to thirty six.

And Son of Beast was designed and built for three trains. The mid course brake that is located before the former location of the loop is a block section. That coupled with the lift, waiting brakes and station brakes provides for four blocks, which can safely run three trains. Because the mid course brake run is so far removed from the station, they didn`t want to have a train get stuck out there if the ride shut down for mechanical reasons. (Wouldn`t exactly be convenient to evacuate the ride in that situation.)

Yes. because the block brakes, if i'm right, are lower than the peak of the loop. So, if that were the starting point for a train, it would not have enough speed going into the loop, hence the beloved: "Did SOB Get Stuck On The Loop?".