Could pepsi be coming to Kings Island?

Gordon Bombay

Kings Island has traditionally been a favorite place to guzzle down a fine Coke product on a hot day. Paramount Parks (under CBS) signed a 5 year contract wtih Coke in 2006 before the aquisition by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company. However it is well known that the legacy parks of CF have traditionally in recent years served Pepsi products and continue to still do so while the Paramount parks have continued to serve Coke products although maybe that will change? Awhile ago a similar article was posted about a woman working in KI's cash offices who was caught stealing money, recently I cam across a similar article...

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...08230362/-1/all

A 49-year-old Maineville woman accused of stealing $75,000 from Kings Island amusement park in Mason has been released without bail on her promise to appear for court hearings.

Darlene Powers, charged with grand theft and tampering with records, appeared Tuesday in Warren County Common Pleas Court.

The charges stem from Powers' work as "cash control supervisor" at Kings Island, a position Powers held for eight of her 15 years with the park, Warren County Prosecutor Rachel Hutzel said Wednesday.

Between May 14 and July 7, 2006, Powers siphoned cash from "the money room" of the park and "moved finances around" to cover her tracks, Hutzel said.

The missing money remained concealed because Powers falsified bank deposit slips, Hutzel said.

"What finally did her in was the bill from Pepsi. They still had not been paid for $75,000 for one month. That's a lot of pop," Hutzel said.

According to the article, the woman was caught when it had been found that Pepsi had not been paid a $75,000 bill (which was the cost in a month, according to the article). KI has continued to serve Coke products this year. It makes one wonder if maybe the park is preparing to serve Pepsi for the upcoming 2008 season.

On the other hand, it could be an errror in reporting, maybe Mrs. Hutzel meant to say Coke or maybe the Enquirer got it wrong.

a. The Paramount Parks contract was not for five years, but rather for seven.

http://sanjose.bizjournals.com/sanjose/sto.../30/daily6.html

b. Pepsi could still be a vendor to Paramount Parks and now Cedar Fair at Kings Island. Coke is the exclusive soft drink provider. That does not mean Pepsi does not have any merchandise in the park or would not be a vendor. Pepsico owns many things, including FritoLay. And $75,000 is NOT a lot of money for product of any kind in a month for a place the size of Kings Island.

c. Perhaps MOST importantly, her alleged activity ENDED about a week after Cedar Fair took over the park, on June 30, 2006. So this bill from Pepsi had nothing to do with any beverage change even in 2006, much less now.

Sorry, I must be the oddball..I prefer Coke, although a dr pepper once in a while sounds good...

I also would rather have Coke stay at the park, I prefer regular Coke over Pepsi, and Mountain Dew, Pepsi's best drink in my opinion, is just ok.

I prefer Coke as well, with an occasional Dr. Pepper every now and then. Mostly been drinking Lo-Carb Monster energy drink lately though, trying to lose some weight so trying to stay away form the Coke. Still need my caffeine buzz in the morning though so Monster is great! The only time I ever liked Pepsi was when I was a little kid at my grandma's house. She always had ice cole Pepsi in those returnable bottles. I loved that stuff back then.

Well, before one of the mods says it, I think that is enough of that jazz.

In any event, contracts are contracts, and though there are ways out, they often are not inexpensive. Given where Cedar Fair is financially at the moment, I doubt we see a change in carbonated soda options at Kings Island in the near future.

Coke does alot for the park and the relationship benefits both KI and Coke.. They both encourage upselling and Coke even has an event for supervisors to run around the park like maniacs looking & searching for clues to win stuff :lol:

The paper must have been a misprint.. If the park were hiding Pepsi products (first of all why would they do that?), then theyre hiding it well..

You have to think how much has been invested in Coke machines.. there are at least 20 locations each with their own setup.. Surely Coke has helped invest in some of that equipment?

It'll be a battle between Pepsi and Coke and whoever provides more benefit (/sponsorships/money) to the park wins..

Coke does alot for the park and the relationship benefits both KI and Coke.. They both encourage upselling and Coke even has an event for supervisors to run around the park like maniacs looking & searching for clues to win stuff :lol:

The paper must have been a misprint.. If the park were hiding Pepsi products (first of all why would they do that?), then theyre hiding it well..

You have to think how much has been invested in Coke machines.. there are at least 20 locations each with their own setup.. Surely Coke has helped invest in some of that equipment?

It'll be a battle between Pepsi and Coke and whoever provides more benefit (/sponsorships/money) to the park wins..

Exactly, if CF was smart they should position themselves so that the Pepsi contract for old CF parks and the former Paramount Parks Coke contract end at the same time. Instant bidding war with the park a guaranteed winner regardless of which company wins.