GREAT AMERICA (CA): What now?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kwindshawne

This really blows...I mean, there is no way....I am glad I won't live next to that mess....

Note the congestion...Great America literally sits on 101.

Today's wise advice. If you are considering selling your park, it is probably not a good idea to appeal your tax assessment and ask that it be greatly reduced. It's rather difficult to tell the tax assessor your place is worth one amount, while possibly selling your interests for what is hoped to be a much larger amount:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_7149588

More on this, with some very pointed comments:

http://www.mercurynews.com/southbayfootball/ci_7149588

Failure to communicate: For all the talk from the 49ers about buying Great America to make way for their new Santa Clara football stadium, one small fact seems to have been overlooked.

"We don't want to sell," said Peter Crage, vice president and chief financial officer of Cedar Fair Entertainment Co., which owns Great America. "It has never been an objective of ours."

In fact, Crage told us Cedar Fair is looking to make $14 million in improvements to Great America over the next two years. He said the Niners would be better off just calling it quits in Santa Clara and working with San Francisco if they want a new stadium.

So why did Cedar Fair issue a press release last week saying it would be willing to sell Great America to the Niners or Santa Clara for "fair market value"?

"We wanted to take the high road and offer up an option," Crage said. "We were trying to be accommodating."

Plus, Crage said, as a publicly traded company, Cedar Fair has a fiduciary responsibility to its board and shareholders at least to consider a sale "if someone comes to us with a lucrative offer."

Crage said the real message was delivered to Niners owners John and Denise York, and their son Jed, over lunch at an Ohio club three weeks ago.

"We looked in their eyes, and we explained that we didn't believe this would work," Crage said.

That's only because the Niners never got a fair shot to make it work, according to team spokeswoman Lisa Lang, She said the Niners were happy when Cedar Fair finally said it would entertain the idea of selling the park.

"It seemed clear that was their business strategy all along," Lang said.

Whatever the outcome, Santa Clara officials said Great America is required under its lease to be operated by a "Class A" theme park operator.

So, even if the 49ers could buy the park, they'd still have to find someone with experience to run it.

And from what Assistant City Manager Ron Garratt tells us, "There are not that many national theme park operators around."

Except maybe Cedar Fair.

from: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...4/BAA5SPA7T.DTL

The PR spin is on, from all sides. Everyone wants to make sure they don't look like the bad guy. CF wants to make it look like they are 'taking the high road' and the Niners want to make sure it looks like they care about the park and that people 'understand' CF is not taking the high road. The truth is simple, what makes the most money, that is the real side each party is on. It just like GL, its about the money (which I don't have a problem with that). It has very little, if any to do with history, coaster fans, amusement park fans, etc...

There really are so many questions here.

If the 49ers are willing to move 30 miles from SF, why does it have to be here? I'm sure that there are other places to go.

Mr. York kept bringing up the "I've never seen the overflow lot used". Well put an NFL stadium there and you are going to need more than just an overflow lot. Not to mention, there will be more events than just the 10 49ers games there. What happens on those days? I'm not exactly sure if I would want my family to be trying to enjoy a day at the park, but then fight the crowds, traffic, and some of the disorderlies that attend sporting events and concerts.

It really is funny on how they are trying to spin the whole "Selling the park will be beneficial to CF" angle. CF did not mention about selling the park until the idea to put the stadium there was brought up. And how beneficial is it for CF to sell the park, but don't own the land? Sure they will make money on the deal, but would it really make that much of a difference?

It is also intresting that Mr. York also does not understand why CF "changed their minds". Apparently he has not investigated what happened to Six Flags AstroWorld. Both of these stories are very similar.

If the park is struggling, the stadium will not help. Again, just look at SFAW for the proof there.

Cedar Fair may not (and does not) own the land, but they DO own a lease. A very long term lease. A lease that cannot end just to put in an NFL stadium without their consent. A lease that has market value. A lease that could potentially prevent a town that at least part of very much wants an NFL stadium (another part of that same town very much does NOT want it).

Cedar Fair needs to be very careful here. If the stadium deal falls through, they could end up being painted as the reason. This is why they have made the very public statement they would sell their interest in the park in order to not prevent the stadium, IF that is what the town wants.

I sure am glad I am not on the town governing body! No matter what happens here, there are going to be some VERY unhappy people.

I also find it interesting that a team that is getting huge incentives from the town, among others, suddenly has the wherewithal to at least throw around casual mentions of buying Great America. The difficulties that Cedar Fair would face in continuing to run Great America would also confront the NFL/49ers. I doubt the park would remain a park long if the stadium were built adjacent to it.

^I totally agree. I went to KD one time, and was super excited for Volcano. The two LIM runs are really fun, as is the blast through the volcano. But after that it's really repetitive and boring IMO. Hypersonic was way better :)

Of course, because hypersonic is such a vast interesting coaster with so many different elements of excitement.

I'm pretty sure most people like volcano pretty much. Also I've been on great americas TG and I can definately tell you that you're not missing much by not having it. I certainly hope you dont make a connection between Great America's TG and Carowinds because that would be a grave insult to Carowinds. Great America's is surprisingly rough and much shorter. By comparison, I would take Volcano any day without a doubt.

Volcano is a great inverted coaster and very nicely themed. It was one of my favorite rides at the KD. Is Top Gun at Carowinds and GA the same coaster? I liked Top Gun alot at Carowinds. Stealth is now at Carowinds as Borg. Is Grizzly a good woodie? It looks like a good one. Are there any tunnels? I hope they can compromise and find a way for both the stadium and amusement park to exist.

Top Gun at Carowinds and Great America share a manufacturer and a name, but that's about it. As many, many threads here have pointed out, AND THE POST RIGHT BEFORE THE ONE YOU REPLIED TO (sigh), Top Gun at Great America is Batman: The Ride at Six Flags, lite. Shorter, a bit smaller, and in my opinion, a lot more fun.

Among many riders, Grizzly is reputedly the slowest, rampiest, most boring wooden coaster of its era. It suffers even more being only a very short distance from perhaps one of the best woodies ever built, The Giant Dipper at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. And Grizzly barely has any drops, much less tunnels. The Giant Dipper begins with a tunnel, and has wonderful drops and pacing. For a very long time, the Giant Dipper had a newspaper article posted in its station very unfavorably comparing Great America and its Grizzly to SCCB and the Giant Dipper.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kwindshawne

Any updates on this?

Just spoke to my ex...he is presently in the great america area, approx. one mile north. The earlier question of highway expansion-there is absolutely no way. The highway through our old area is 6 lines wide plus an HOV lane (High Occupancy Vehicle) in the center. It is supposedly all built up around the area just as I suspected. There were very few open areas-I am talking a few steps here and there, but those are even built up now. Putting the niners in that area would be a very bad thing.

It was addressed during the conference call yesterday. Mr. Kinzel said the company is in the business of providing the area with the best in park entertainment, but won't stand in the way of the stadium, if that is what the City and citizens want, but will sell their interest in the lease and park at fair market value.

Guest kwindshawne

Hmmm...still up in the air. Well, considering the congestion of the area, I always kind of thought the park was in an odd area anyway. But then again, going to the store in that area is a hassle in itself. I used to walk whenever I could because it just wasn't worth the aggravation of driving.

• 2 months later...

Business Journal: Santa Clara Report Backs Continued 49ers Talks:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories...07/daily85.html

http://origin.mercurynews.com/breakingnews...?nclick_check=1

http://www.mercurynews.com/politics/ci_795...?nclick_check=1

The last two require registration (or bugmenot.com). Registration is probably worthwhile if you read much San Fran news (parks, zoo, etc.)

I am still surprised that the city of SanFrancisco has not really made too much noise yet.

While the team name will stay the same, Santa Clara is still 45 miles away from SanFrancisco. Now add the traffic in that plagues CA and the travel time will be 2+ hours.

If I was a current season ticket holder, boy would I be PI$$ED about the move.

I am still surprised that the city of SanFrancisco has not really made too much noise yet.

While the team name will stay the same, Santa Clara is still 45 miles away from SanFrancisco. Now add the traffic in that plagues CA and the travel time will be 2+ hours.

If I was a current season ticket holder, boy would I be PI$$ED about the move.

It's actually not a bad commute on the weekends.