Update on the former Lion Country Safari Monorail

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, First things first. My basement was a mess. I was planning on cleaning it earlier, but work got the better of my time. So late Christmas eve I began working... and working... simply cleaning the basement!

The first thing to arrive was te monorail itself:

sany1378kw4.jpg

This is the 1988 Von Roll set that was sold in 1988 at the opening of the Sydney Monorail - not quite like the Kings Island version - so some modifications will need to be made.

Next we need construction workers - so I hired a few:

sany1389cc8.jpg

I'll post more later...

Hi there! I'm back.

Well, the construction workers got right at it and put up the "future site of sign..."

sany1385ja6.jpg

So it's official - we're putting up a preserve. Currently the surface is 1/4" fiberglass sheeting sitting on three 2x2's on top of a table - I have instructed the workers to create a modular design, just in case this whole setup will need to be moved in the future.

Here are the guys getting at it:

monorailworkersgc2.jpg

What project doesn't have its setbacks?

monorailworkers2ny3.jpg

I started having a little trouble with the construction crew. I don't know if you've ever noticed how sometimes there is only one worker actually working at any given time - but I am noticing it about this crew. One of the workers is drinking, one is playing with a pick-axe, and another is lying down on the job!

I'm spending big money for this!! We're about to have a little talk!

Train Driver

Train Driver – I am loving your set-up for a recreation of Kings Islands Wild Animal Habitat Experience. Now have said that I do think you should create your own thread to do this for three reasons, 1) your hard work on this project deserves a thread of its own 2) If someone in the future tries to search for your creativity they may not know to search in this thread 3) Ronny started this thread about the progress of the old monorail status and we may be getting off track here. But would really love to watch you progress with your report.

The moderators could break this thread at the start of Train Divers report move it, give it a name to help Train Driver with his creative work this far and to allow him to continue on while he is on a roll.

Train Driver – I am loving your set-up for a recreation of Kings Islands Wild Animal Habitat Experience. Now have said that I do think you should create your own thread to do this for three reasons, 1) your hard work on this project deserves a thread of its own 2) If someone in the future tries to search for your creativity they may not know to search in this thread 3) Ronny started this thread about the progress of the old monorail status and we may be getting off track here. But would really love to watch you progress with your report.

The moderators could break this thread at the start of Train Divers report move it, give it a name to help Train Driver with his creative work this far and to allow him to continue on while he is on a roll.

Very good. Is this something I can do myself, or do we need a moderator to do it for us?

Thanks,

Train Driver

You can do this yourself and just go back and copy and past your previous posts to the new thread so you won't lose what you have done this far. I was just suggesting to a moderator that they could do this for you if they felt like they wanted to do.

But what ever happens keep on with your report I know I am really enjoying it so far.

You can do this yourself and just go back and copy and past your previous posts to the new thread so you won't lose what you have done this far. I was just suggesting to a moderator that they could do this for you if they felt like they wanted to do.

But what ever happens keep on with your report I know I am really enjoying it so far.

:unsure: Thank you - I'd like to do that - What category should I put this thread under?

Thanks.

Train Driver

Guest kwindshawne
What project doesn't have its setbacks?

monorailworkers2ny3.jpg

I started having a little trouble with the construction crew. I don't know if you've ever noticed how sometimes there is only one worker actually working at any given time - but I am noticing it about this crew. One of the workers is drinking, one is playing with a pick-axe, and another is lying down on the job!

I'm spending big money for this!! We're about to have a little talk!

Train Driver

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
That tunnel you walk thru was built for the reason the tracks ran above it.
...orly?

tgwahmt9.png

LOL you just proved me wrong sorry, that's what I thought, but they are an access road up there as well. Sorry I didn't quite remember complete I was 13 when WAH closed.

By the way, do you happen to have a scan of the rest of that map?

I was looking at the photo section, and remembered this thread. I'm confused...was the tunnel built for the WAH tracks (which I didn't think that WAH and TG were ever open at the same time), or an access road? I had never really thought about why there was a tunnel there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, everyone. Came home this weekend and today Boddah and I met up at Jungle Jims to check out the monorail, buy candy, and hang out. Not much to update on the monorail but I got some pictures...

jungle001.jpg

-Theming on top of the monorail station.

jungle002.jpg

-No track has been added to the Petlan/Starbucks area since the last update.

jungle003.jpg

-However, some more track sections have been added to the station appraoch.

jungle004.jpg

-The Tonka truck is now closer to the station and more track has been added closer to the station One more of those track pieces and it should be connected to the station.

jungle005.jpg

-Of the two sections of track added, there are one of these by each.

jungle006.jpg

-Two more sections here, one going into the station, and the track from the station that spans the back parking lot will be complete up to the shopping centers.

Click this link to view a panoramic (crappy) of the track spanning the rear parking lot towards the shopping centers....

http://www.mcflash.4000loavesanhour.com/ju...G/jungle007.jpg

Thats all for now.

P.S. TrainDriver: I've been busy as of late, I'll get back to you later tonight through PM when I get back home.

Please keep me in mind for a future event, because I definitely want to get back there and see them. When they get rolling, perhaps we can talk them into giving us rides in the VIP seats in the driver's cab. That would be awesome. If it paid better, I would even put in my application as a driver. It was one of the most enjoyable jobs I had ever done.

I keep screwing up my posts :(

I'd be a little concerned about a car or truck impact on one of those pillars...

Depending on whenever this thing actually opens, I'd consider applying as an operator depending on what I'm doing in life (I love my current job). Boddah and I were discussing what would happen if a car struck a pillar how it would affect the monorail. I bet its a common occurance with how close some people were flying across the parking lot and almost hit us.

-Gordon Bombay, who just saw the Giant's miss ANOTHER field goal and will respond to PM's, IM's, and email after the Giants (hopefully) win in over time. Even though it doesn't matter cause the pats will crush whoever wins this game. :angry:

-Gordon Bombay, who just saw the Giant's miss ANOTHER field goal and will respond to PM's, IM's, and email after the Giants (hopefully) win in over time. Even though it doesn't matter cause the pats will crush whoever wins this game.

GO GIANTS!!! I am surprised they won but IMO Eli Manning deserves to be in the superbowl the way he has played the past couple of weeks

• 2 months later...

I have to say.... I'm impressed with this section! I've worked on this project for many years not realizing how many people have followed this project. :)

I can answer all your questions, feel free to email them. PhillatJungleJims@gmail.com

The track that you see rusted in the lot is actually new track. The rust is removed, steel painted and the "Tonka Toy" crane installs the track.

King's Island sold the original track long before we arrived. One person noticed the Electrical bus pickups are missing under the new track. The trains were converted to autonomous units. One of the concerns is the high school across the street. One bad senior prank.... so each train was converted to clean air diesel generators. This will give us flexibility and should not "flicker" and hesitate like the "old days".

Everyone asks, when will the monorail run? In the 23 years I've worked at the store, we've never had a timeline. We do have a goal to have the monorail up and running by late summer 2008. If all goes well it will start earlier. The monorail project has been on the "board" for years. Most of the time we had no idea what to do with it. We just knew it would be cool when it does run. :) The last expansion solidified our intentions for the monorail. The Oscar Event Center opened. Parking has become an issue. The monorail will help with that issue.

Track layout: No clue. We have a lot of columns up for future track, but the initial run will start at the snack building and travel to the station above Starbucks. Back and forth with no plans for another station. As you know with our store, things tend to change. Someday we may put another station in. We have 85 acres around the store.

The layout: Some of the layout was derived from the original blueprints graciously provided by Kings Island. Unfortunately, the company that built the monorails system was located in Switzerland and no longer in the business. Some of you may have noticed the "front" wall of our building does not run parallel to the rest of the building. We had to fit the building to the monorail track. 22.73 degrees.

Snake building: The main station. Designed and constructed for the monorail system. People will load and unload at the snake building to travel to the event center. Parking in the back will ease the parking issues for the main store. The snake building is also the maintenance shop for the trains. Notice the garage door under the snake head end. The door is floating in the air to match the track height. Currently, we have one train in the maintenance shop.

Monorail above the parking lot by Route 4: A train that had no hope for restoration. We used it to eliminate some of the questions. Yes, it will be on elevated track. Yes, they will carry people. No, customers will not put groceries in the train. If you look closely, we have columns behind that train for future track. This train will not be part of the running track.

Like most of you, I remember riding the monorail back in the day. I would love to have old photos.

What else....?

Have Fun!

Phill Adams

Director of Development

Jungle Jim's International Market, Inc.

5440 Dixie Highway

Fairfield, Ohio 45014-4108

www.JungleJims.com

One person noticed the Electrical bus pickups are missing under the new track. The trains were converted to autonomous units. One of the concerns is the high school across the street. One bad senior prank.... so each train was converted to clean air diesel generators. This will give us flexibility and should not "flicker" and hesitate like the "old days".

I believe that I might have been the one to mention the pickups. I drove the trains back in 1984, which is getting to be more and more distant! Thank you so much for posting and clearing some things up for us!

I also remember being told that the train came over from Switzerland - but it came without any instructions. I can't remember the name of the engineer that was placed in charge of assembling the trains and designing some of the controls, but they said he was a genius.

I'm assuming that although you have plans for the conversion, you are pretty much doing it from scratch - or did you contract the design out?

I recall that each car had an electric motor. Have you kept the motors and simply installed a diesel generator to power them all? Are you housing it in the driver's cab?

Thanks!

Keith

Mr. Adams, thank you so much for the update! I have been looking forward to the monorail becoming a reality for some time. I have lived in Fairfield since 1989 and seen Jungle Jim's grow and grow every year. I even have helped lay down asphalt and parking lines for that lot many many times with Dan's striping. The success of that store and its growth is definitely something awesome to have in your backyard. I have been trying to stop by the store when home on weekends from school to snap photos of the monorail and do some shopping.

Today was my second day home for spring break, although with today's temperatures you would think it was still winter...

CP224534.jpg

-This piece of track looks like it will be the last one going on the approach to the station.

CP224538.jpg

-One of the turn sections has been completed and only needs one more additional piece there.

CP224540.jpg

-A couple more pieces and the approach to the starbuck's area will be complete.

CP224542.jpg

-It seems the gray on the track is painted on, there were two more pieces in the back of the parking lot.

-Gordon Bombay, who is really looking forward to seeing the monorail running 10 minutes from his house.

"I believe that I might have been the one to mention the pickups. I drove the trains back in 1984, which is getting to be more and more distant! Thank you so much for posting and clearing some things up for us!

I also remember being told that the train came over from Switzerland - but it came without any instructions. I can't remember the name of the engineer that was placed in charge of assembling the trains and designing some of the controls, but they said he was a genius.

I'm assuming that although you have plans for the conversion, you are pretty much doing it from scratch - or did you contract the design out?

I recall that each car had an electric motor. Have you kept the motors and simply installed a diesel generator to power them all? Are you housing it in the driver's cab?

Thanks!"

I'm guessing your recollection of no instructions is correct. We too purchased the system with no instructions. The blueprints for the track were vague, but included enough information to put our layout together.

Not sure who the engineer is you are referring to.

We have converted two complete trains and a third is in the maintenance building. We did most of the work ourselves. The clean air diesel generators were installed by Rockwell International.

Everything that was electrical was replaced. Air conditioning units, truck motors, lights.... everything.

The generators are in the last car. We sacrificed the last car to hold the generator.

The conversion wasn't difficult, just time consuming. And, it wasn't a high priority for our company.

Thanks & Have Fun!

Phill

Mr. Adams, thank you so much for the update! I have been looking forward to the monorail becoming a reality for some time. I have lived in Fairfield since 1989 and seen Jungle Jim's grow and grow every year. I even have helped lay down asphalt and parking lines for that lot many many times with Dan's striping. The success of that store and its growth is definitely something awesome to have in your backyard. I have been trying to stop by the store when home on weekends from school to snap photos of the monorail and do some shopping.

Today was my second day home for spring break, although with today's temperatures you would think it was still winter...

CP224534.jpg

-This piece of track looks like it will be the last one going on the approach to the station.

CP224538.jpg

-One of the turn sections has been completed and only needs one more additional piece there.

CP224540.jpg

-A couple more pieces and the approach to the starbuck's area will be complete.

CP224542.jpg

-It seems the gray on the track is painted on, there were two more pieces in the back of the parking lot.

-Gordon Bombay, who is really looking forward to seeing the monorail running 10 minutes from his house.

Welcome Home!

Thanks for the compliments!

Hopefully you are in town when we start the system. :)

I doubt we will put any information out prior to testing, but am sure we will let the media know when we are ready to run it.

Have Fun!

Phill