Distasteful Joke At KI

art_star

Very true Ryan... when I first seen the display, my fiance and I looked for details for about 20 minutes! It's very funny!

Also, I guess it's sad that some tombstones around the park say: Hendrix, Falfas/Kinzel, Shapiro, etc. I think it's hilarious. Halloween is a holiday about death.... not life. -Hauntguy

PS: Is it sad that I own ALL of those horror movies? HAHA!

I just have a question, if something has many people that are fine with it, and many people opposed to it, how does it become obviously offensive?

Do we use the idea of "Greater Good"

Are we determining this by a plurality or a majority?

Do famous people get a more impactful vote?

The soldier idea was mentioned above, honestly so far thats the most convincing point ive seen on here...I now have no idea how I feel. That is probably why it was left off the prop! I for one do have a greater patriotic sense in me than any sense for an actor who quite frankly chose to act with the pressures it involves and the limelight and decided to off himself, to me it is less sympathy and more what was he thinking? I am an honest person, what a boneheaded idea...where was Terrel Owens on the list?

It is amazing to me though how so many satirists still have jobs, especially those who have made a living of laughing at the intracacies of the present.

First we have to analyze the idea of Owen Being singled out for such a misfortunate set of circumstances. In a perfect world, I wish people weren't offended by anything, personally I've always made a point to tell people exactly how I feel, but some are. In the case of Owen why? Because he commited suicide which is no laughing matter? what makes that feeling so strong? If he made a decision why cant that decision have repercussions that others may find offensive, on the other hand why can't he be let to live a peaceful life with no teasing or halloween props at all?

Electric Chairs are a common theme around Halloween, why arent any of these people against the death penalty proclaiming this not a part of Halloween.

I witnessed a friend of mine run his hand through a table saw in woodshop two years ago, saw the pieces laying on the saw, it made me puke, why are these things laying around in Halloween? Should I not find them funny? I put my indifference aside and say this is tradition. Its kinda nasty to me cuz I would never want the same experience. That is why its part of halloween, its your worst fear (mine), idea, or even funny in a sick and twisted demented way.

And, like you Ryan when the park gave the disclaimer, I listened. I will be visiting HH eventually, however other than working I dont go...I hate Halloween. Other than the candy, I dont like the idea of seeing such gruesome things, mainly because I can imagine what it would be like to have some serial killer with a chainsaw come after me, and dont want any part of a pretend version. Now if somebody said I really want to go to Haunt will you go, I would certainly oblige...if they insist strongly enough!

I went to HHN last year and hated it, my favorite thing was Bill and Ted's which was crude and hilarious. I do need to walk around the park this year during HHN and see some of the more hysterical things around the park, sounds like I would enjoy some things.

Sorry for the ranting the human psychology of things has always astounded me. I just find it shocking that ideas are so innately different.

I just have a question, if something has many people that are fine with it, and many people opposed to it, how does it become obviously offensive?

The soldier idea was mentioned above, honestly so far thats the most convincing point ive seen on here...I now have no idea how I feel. That is probably why it was left off the prop! I for one do have a greater patriotic sense in me than any sense for an actor who quite frankly chose to act with the pressures it involves and the limelight and decided to off himself, to me it is less sympathy and more what was he thinking? I am an honest person, what a boneheaded idea...where was Terrel Owens on the list?

It is amazing to me though how so many satirists still have jobs, especially those who have made a living of laughing at the intracacies of the present.

First we have to analyze the idea of Owen Being singled out for such a misfortunate set of circumstances. In a perfect world, I wish people weren't offended by anything, personally I've always made a point to tell people exactly how I feel, but some are. In the case of Owen why? Because he commited suicide which is no laughing matter? what makes that feeling so strong? If he made a decision why cant that decision have repercussions that others may find offensive, on the other hand why can't he be let to live a peaceful life with no teasing or halloween props at all?

Electric Chairs are a common theme around Halloween, why arent any of these people against the death penalty proclaiming this not a part of Halloween.

I witnessed a friend of mine run his hand through a table saw in woodshop two years ago, saw the pieces laying on the saw, it made me puke, why are these things laying around in Halloween? Should I not find them funny? I put my indifference aside and say this is tradition. Its kinda nasty to me cuz I would never want the same experience. That is why its part of halloween, its your worst fear (mine), idea, or even funny in a sick and twisted demented way.

Sorry for the ranting the human psychology of things has always astounded me. I just find it shocking that ideas are so innately different.

I kinda get what you are saying about the electric chair and table saw stuff. I think having fictional depictions of these things (included suicide) is fine and goes well with the theming. But to have something about a real person that actually tried to commit suicide is too far IMO. I know that I would have to be pushed extremely far to attempt suicide, and I would like to think that just out of human compassion, when someone is pushed that far a certain amount of sympathy should be alotted to that person. Even if you aren't sympathetic, I think you should be respectful enough to leave him alone about it. It is just human decency.

Guest TombraiderTy

I found the office and that joke to be hysterical.

And Vick's doghouse, it was only moved. It's now on the right side of the path on Trail of Terror, I believe after the exploding outhouse... I for one found it funny though, and think it should be returned in good view.

And Michael Jackson and kids in bed, as someone mentioned- that would be the best thing there pratically. In an easy to see area, that'd be a great prop :lol:

Or if, heaven forfend, he successfully does end his life in the next few days...watch how quickly that display is changed....

That should tell you it is not appropriate even now.

Why do you think the Vick's doghouse disappeared?

There is such a thing as too much.

The Vick dog house is on the Trail of Terror

Guest kwindshawne

I kinda get what you are saying about the electric chair and table saw stuff. I think having fictional depictions of these things (included suicide) is fine and goes well with the theming. But to have something about a real person that actually tried to commit suicide is too far IMO. I know that I would have to be pushed extremely far to attempt suicide, and I would like to think that just out of human compassion, when someone is pushed that far a certain amount of sympathy should be alotted to that person. Even if you aren't sympathetic, I think you should be respectful enough to leave him alone about it. It is just human decency.

I agree.

You have it 100% correct. Much of what seems to be depicted this year has nothing to do with Halloween, nothing to do with scarring and absolutely nothing to do with "mature audiences."

I'd like to know when it became so entertaining to be hurtful to another person?

The Owen Wilson joke could be in bad taste, but that board has nothing on what tabloids will publish.

Also, he was not successful in his attempt, which is a good thing. And after working with many people who have attempted to do the same thing, there has been one constant that they all agree on: healing through humor.

You will find this type of humor on many stages (literally). Watch Saturday Night Live or any of the 10,000 award shows that a comedian is hosting, and you will find the same thing.

Things like this are the reasons why being in the public limelight day in, day out sucks from time to time.

Well look at it this way:

How many Jimmy Hoffa jokes are out there and how often is his reference used?

Or Elvis sightings? Or anything dealing with Elvis?

Karen Carpenter jokes?

OJ Simpson jokes?

Cruel or not, it's not CF on that island alone, but society as a whole. We have all endorsed it as entertainment.

I understand the humor in the displays, and why some people find certain things to be in poor taste. I feel that if you choose to be a celebrity and place yourself in the public eye, you should be expected to take criticism and jokes along with the fame and the money......

Personally, the only thing I found to be in poor taste was the boat with two skeletons in it floating in the lake where the two men were electrocuted several years ago.....

Personally, the only thing I found to be in poor taste was the boat with two skeletons in it floating in the lake where the two men were electrocuted several years ago.....

I can see that as crossing the line.

But it is also a prop that you can see at every other halloween event.

The accident on Black Sunday had nothing to do with a boat, and skeletons are used all the time for these types of functions.

And quite honsetly, chances are the park did not even think about the accident at all. There really is nothing that the prop is using that uses any type of reference to the accident.

If I would have seen it, I would not have even thought about the accident until someone brought it to my attention.

I can see that as crossing the line.

But it is also a prop that you can see at every other halloween event.

The accident on Black Sunday had nothing to do with a boat, and skeletons are used all the time for these types of functions.

And quite honsetly, chances are the park did not even think about the accident at all. There really is nothing that the prop is using that uses any type of reference to the accident.

If I would have seen it, I would not have even thought about the accident until someone brought it to my attention.

I agree with you. I'm certain that the park did not think about the accident at all when they placed those props, but for some reason, that was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw it....

You know it's weird because I had this discussion with my dad a couple of nights ago. He said that he thought it was strange that they would have skeletons on the old cars of Son of Beast when people got hurt. But I told him that nobody died, and if someone did die then it would be different. Then he mentioned the skeletons in the pond and said that perhaps that wasn't the best idea, since people really did die in there. But honestly that didn't enter my mind when I saw that. I'd say the majority of the people that go to the park don't even know about that event, but I don't know if that makes it "right" but I don't know if it's necessarily wrong either.

As far as the office display, I think I'm more "offended" by the references to Pavarotti and Anna Nicole Smith than the Owen Wilson reference. In other words, I guess it's not terribly funny since it's true. But I only noticed those names in the picture of the display that was posted. I did NOT notice them when I was there looking at it so it may have been changed. But it also could mean that I wasn't paying real close attention. I'm just a little surprised that nobody has come to the defense of the truly dead as opposed to the attempted dead.

And as far as things being funny or not funny, sometimes it takes time for tragic things to be funny. On that note, I'll end with this thought...Nothing Owen Wilson has done in the past two years has been successful. The only movie I've ever liked him in was Armageddon...and his character died in that. Is that ironic?

I really thought that Wedding Crashers and You, Me, and Dupree were rather enjoyable movies.

I'm on the fence with Anna Nicole Smith. It is rather embarressing to admit, but, I did see her show a few times on E!. She was a distasteful pig on the show, and her life and death is a tragic story. But she sure did not hold back on her show, so I'm wondering if anyone should hold back on her.