New Offers in October Ticketing

gabelogan99

A quick side note before I begin...I am a FORMER employee in the department of admissions back when Parmount owned the park. So I don't necessarily have any sort of loyalty to the department anymore, and certainly not the company it is run by. I'm not necessarily the best one to answer questions, but since the admissions department is not currently represented on KIC, I guess I'm the next best thing.

I went to the park last night for Halloween Haunt. I had a great time and a trip report may be coming, but I wanted to get the ticketing info out there first. While the overall night was really fun, getting into the park was something a little different.

THE FREE TICKET OFFER FOR '08 PASS BUYERS

My aunt and I went straight to the ticket window as soon as we got there. She had a 2008 pass that she wanted to use to get a free ticket to get in for that night. The admissions associate, Jimmy, who by the way is a GREAT guy that I worked with when I was there, knew nothing of the free ticket. He called over his supervisor, who I did not know, and she also knew nothing of it. But there was a guy who works in marketing directing people in the ticket line and he came over and not only knew about the offer, but knew how to do it on the computer. So, anyways, she got her free ticket but only after the supervisor imput her information into the system. They are not letting associates print the comp tickets for the free day in October. They do scan your pass and they do electronically keep track to see if you've already got your free ticket, so don't try anything fancy because I can gurantee it won't work. But, again, admissions was totally clueless as to what was going on. I felt a little ashamed of my former department. I will say this though, this was the first day that the new policies really came into affect. I think after today it should be better.

How to bring a friend FREE during October

EDIT: Everything I know about this is only unconfirmed. I won't post information on it since I really don't know what's going on. At the end of the season, when it doesn't matter anymore anyways, I'll tell my conclusions on it.

THE DISCOUNT TICKETS FOR PASS HOLDERS

The Admissions Department was also clueless to this offer. Once again, the marketing guy knew about it. But there was still a problem. I tried to buy two tickets at $14.95 for my cousin and her boyfriend, but the computer would not allow it. I knew that I had read you could buy up to SIX at that price. The marketing guy even disagreed with me on that one. So in order to get two tickets, I used my 2007 pass to get one, and my aunt used her 2008 pass to get one. So it doesn't matter if you have an '07 or '08 pass, you can buy discount tickets regardless. But the problem still remains that it seems like you can only buy one. But we were trying to get multiple tickets with one pass on a single order. However, I'm betting that you can get six tickets but they can't all be on the same order. I'm kicking myself for not trying to use my pass both times to get the tickets, which should be totally "legal" in the first place but I didn't try it. It seems like they have some bugs to work out, and really I'm the one that was bugged by the whole thing, now that I'm just a paying customer.

Instead of posting the same information as someone else, read this: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11111 (By the way, it IS the Return Visit booth that you have to go to in order to do this. It's in the park across from the lockers.) I can't BELIEVE that I didn't think to do this before it was too late. Because my dad had a ticket last week and I could have upgraded his ticket to a season pass. But I don't know if it would have gone in as an upgrade from my '07 pass and I might not have got my free parking. Now, however, there are UNCONFIRMED reports that they are giving free parking for next season whether it's an upgrade from an '07 pass or not. This method works best if this is your first season pass and you can definitely finagle two free visits instead of one. I discovered this, because of my expereince in the department, but was deciding wether to post it or not so I'm glad that I don't have to make the moral decision anymore. lol

They have run out of the vouchers for free jackets, too, I was informed by Jimmy. I would say as long as you have your pass, and as long as you have a copy of the printout you used to get your pass, you shouldn't have a problem. Even though they will take your paper when you get your pass processed, make sure to keep a copy somwhere either a printout or just keep it on your computer somewhere until you need it.

That's all for now, but if I think of anything else I'll be sure to post it. Please also post questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Edited by gabelogan99

A quick side note before I begin...I am a FORMER employee in the department of admissions back when Parmount owned the park. So I don't necessarily have any sort of loyalty to the department anymore, and certainly not the company it is run by. I'm not necessarily the best one to answer questions, but since the admissions department is not currently represented on KIC, I guess I'm the next best thing.

I went to the park last night for Halloween Haunt. I had a great time and a trip report may be coming, but I wanted to get the ticketing info out there first. While the overall night was really fun, getting into the park was something a little different.

THE FREE TICKET OFFER FOR '08 PASS BUYERS

My aunt and I went straight to the ticket window as soon as we got there. She had a 2008 pass that she wanted to use to get a free ticket to get in for that night. The admissions associate, Jimmy, who by the way is a GREAT guy that I worked with when I was there, knew nothing of the free ticket. He called over his supervisor, who I did not know, and she also knew nothing of it. But there was a guy who works in marketing directing people in the ticket line and he came over and not only knew about the offer, but knew how to do it on the computer. So, anyways, she got her free ticket but only after the supervisor imput her information into the system. They are not letting associates print the comp tickets for the free day in October. They do scan your pass and they do electronically keep track to see if you've already got your free ticket, so don't try anything fancy because I can gurantee it won't work. But, again, admissions was totally clueless as to what was going on. I felt a little ashamed of my former department. I will say this though, this was the first day that the new policies really came into affect. I think after today it should be better.

How to bring a friend FREE during October

This one has already been discussed in a way, so I'm only confirming that it works. This only works if you have a 2007 pass and, thus, have no need for a free ticket. You also must have an '08 pass, obviously, to get the ticket. So here's how to do it: Go and get your free ticket and then give it to anyone of your choosing. No personal information, including your picture, is associated with the comp tickets they print. Literally anyone you choose can use it.

THE DISCOUNT TICKETS FOR PASS HOLDERS

The Admissions Department was also clueless to this offer. Once again, the marketing guy knew about it. But there was still a problem. I tried to buy two tickets at $14.95 for my cousin and her boyfriend, but the computer would not allow it. I knew that I had read you could buy up to SIX at that price. The marketing guy even disagreed with me on that one. So in order to get two tickets, I used my 2007 pass to get one, and my aunt used her 2008 pass to get one. So it doesn't matter if you have an '07 or '08 pass, you can buy discount tickets regardless. But the problem still remains that it seems like you can only buy one. But we were trying to get multiple tickets with one pass on a single order. However, I'm betting that you can get six tickets but they can't all be on the same order. I'm kicking myself for not trying to use my pass both times to get the tickets, which should be totally "legal" in the first place but I didn't try it. It seems like they have some bugs to work out, and really I'm the one that was bugged by the whole thing, now that I'm just a paying customer.

Instead of posting the same information as someone else, read this: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11111 (By the way, it IS the Return Visit booth that you have to go to in order to do this. It's in the park across from the lockers.) I can't BELIEVE that I didn't think to do this before it was too late. Because my dad had a ticket last week and I could have upgraded his ticket to a season pass. But I don't know if it would have gone in as an upgrade from my '07 pass and I might not have got my free parking. Now, however, there are UNCONFIRMED reports that they are giving free parking for next season whether it's an upgrade from an '07 pass or not. This method works best if this is your first season pass and you can definitely finagle two free visits instead of one. I discovered this, because of my expereince in the department, but was deciding wether to post it or not so I'm glad that I don't have to make the moral decision anymore. lol

They have run out of the vouchers for free jackets, too, I was informed by Jimmy. I would say as long as you have your pass, and as long as you have a copy of the printout you used to get your pass, you shouldn't have a problem. Even though they will take your paper when you get your pass processed, make sure to keep a copy somwhere either a printout or just keep it on your computer somewhere until you need it.

That's all for now, but if I think of anything else I'll be sure to post it. Please also post questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

They messed me up last night too. I wanted to get the discount they gave me a ticket with a 07 pass and then made me pay full price for the next one

They messed me up last night too. I wanted to get the discount they gave me a ticket with a 07 pass and then made me pay full price for the next one

If they try to pull that with anyone else, just try to do one discount ticket at a time. Meaning, don't try to put multiple ones on the same order. I hate hearing stories like Degen's... the make me even more embarrassed. But, again, I have no affilaition anymore to the department...but still... ugh.

The free parking with ANY 2008 CF Platinum or KI pass is confirmed:

http://www3.cedarfair.com/kingsisland/shop...season_pass.cfm

I have NEVER seen a more confused admissions department in ANY park chain that those in ANY Cedar Fair park. To this day, they still cannot answer if you keep your home park perks if you buy, say, a 2008 Cedar Fair Platinum Pass from Cedar Point but process at Kings Island (since CP is not processing until next year). CP's website says a platinum pass can be processed at ANY park that is processing 2008 season passes, but Kings Island's admissions folk have told me three separate times that they CANNOT and WILL NOT process any platinum passes not bought at Kings Island. Sigh.

Nor can they answer the question as to whether you get early entry to CP with a Platinum Pass in 2008 from another CF park. The OFFICIAL answer in 07 for Maxx passes was NO, but then again, in reality they always let it happen (making those of us who bought passes at CP AND paid for Joe Cool to get that privilege feel like the chumps we were).

I guess what they meant buy up to 6 is 1 friday sat and sunday this week and one fri sat and sun next week one per visit for a total of six, but if this is the case this was not mentioned in the advertisement anywhere, and lots of people could show up to the park with 6 friends and 5 of them would have to pay full price and at that point it would be too late for the online discount, very bad way of doing things here.

Use of the free ticket offer with the purchase of the 2008 season pass is intended for the 2008 passholder and is non-transferable. If you what you're talking about works, then you're committing fraud by doing it. I wouldn't recommend it.

With that being said, I sent your issues up to the proper authorities at Kings Island to make sure that it's taken care of. Thanks for the heads up.

Ryan

Use of the free ticket offer with the purchase of the 2008 season pass is intended for the 2008 passholder and is non-transferable. If you what you're talking about works, then you're committing fraud by doing it. I wouldn't recommend it.

More likely than NOT, the said 2008 Pass Holder is most likely a 2007 Pass Holder.....so what in the hell is the point of giving them a free ticket when they most likely are already able to get in on the 07 Pass? Also, what if someone isn't going to be able to make it to the park again this season to use that free ticket they received? Whats wrong with giving the ticket away to a friend? Obviously the Park wants those tickets used, so why does it matter if its the Pass Holder or not? As long as another warm body walks through the gates and puts some more money in Cedar Fair's grubby little hands, where's the harm?

- Todd

Ok let me get this straight, it's fraud for me to give a free ticket to a friend that is a perk for buying a new season pass, a ticket that I can't use because I have a pass this year

yet

It is not fraud for Kings Island to advertise that if I buy the pass I can get up to 6 people in for the discounted price and they refuse to give more than 1 when it never stated anywhere in their advertisement that you couldn't use more than one on the same day.

It's ok for KI to commit fraud just not the customers :angry:

Nope. I think it is called 'pricing integrity.' The customer is expected to have integrity. The company is expecting to get their money. This is really no different at all than when last season they sold Kings Island parking passes online to people with Maxx passes from other Cedar Fair parks, then refused to process them at Kings Island's gate unless your pass was from Kings Island, and even attempted to seize the vouchers without refund. After a long argument opening day, I was able to get a refund, and guest relations took my complaint which they assured me would be resolved to my satisfaction.

Would it surprise you to know I STILL haven't heard from them? Even though I contacted them to follow-up no less than six times? Each time I was assured a response was coming. I'm still waiting. Probably sometime week after next, they will send me a Kings Island parking pass good any day in the 2007 season.

Sigh.

Yes I had the same kind of issue bought a Cedar Point pass and ki parking pass, it was an ordeal but I didn't have as much trouble as you did. I fired off emails to Cedar Fair and I have to say I think they were making strides with good intentions to fix any bad customer relations with the free parking next year promotion, I give 'em props for that, but the friend discount ordeal the way they advertise it one was and it's different when you get there could undo some of the good will from the free parking.

Ok, I got word from the powers that be.

When you get your free ticket offer for the 2008 pass, it is integrated with your pass. When the admissions associate scans your ticket, it will show the photo associated with the 2008 season pass. The park reserves the right to deny entry to anyone who does not match the photo.

On that same note, the park apologizes for the confusion dealing with discounted admission for friends of season passholders. In October, many associates are new or are volunteers and it makes it very difficult to get a widespread message out. They are working very hard with the admissions department to ensure that things go smoothly for the remainder of the season.

Again, thanks for the heads up on this issue.

Ryan

Ryan,

The free ticket thing is bull cause i gave it to my brother and he got in just fine. I had a 07 pass and got it. I am not coming back down from Columbus again to go and get screwed over if I bring friends with me. I know taco bell is right up the road and all but Friday ****ed me off pretty good. The SUPERVISOR came over and put the override in for the ticket. The supervisors should know or hey....PRINT OUT THE DEALS? at the admissions counter let them have a printout of the deals going on.

Ok, I got word from the powers that be.

When you get your free ticket offer for the 2008 pass, it is integrated with your pass. When the admissions associate scans your ticket, it will show the photo associated with the 2008 season pass. The park reserves the right to deny entry to anyone who does not match the photo.

I wouldn't necessarily take second hand information like that. That might be how it's SUPPOSED to work, but I am seriously doubting whether it really works that way or not. Now, my aunt did it fair and square because she did buy a 2008 pass, she did not have a 2007 pass, so she used her free ticket to get in Friday. However, I did not stick by her to notice if her picture came up when they scanned her ticket at the gate or not. And I'm almost positive that the picture doesn't come up when they scan the ticket at the window, because I did kind of pay attention to that.

So, again, there's a difference in what something is intended to do and what actually is the case. And, again, I do have a little of actual experience in the department. But I won't say I'm confident about anything because I really don't know. At this point, I'm not convinced either way. Nobody has posted anything yet to make me think differently than I originally did, though.

I'm also pretty sure that someone posted that a current employee in the admissions department suggested that someone give their free ticket to someone if they had no use for it. But I'm positive that there is a total lack of communication, and that can't be argued about or denied because it's a fact. Miscommunication leads to confusion for everyone, so nobody should really be held accountable for their actions if they're confused about something. And since there aren't too many days left of this anyways, I don't think that there will be much more fussing about it.

The quesition is - is the PR department and the Admission department talking to each other?

We have heard varying stories about the ability to use/not use the bring a friend discount, and even different rules for how that offer works depending on which ticket clerk you get.

On a seperate topic - I processed my Platinum Pass on Saturday using an e-Ticket, and my e-Ticket was NOT collected and I was told to use that as my jacket voucher, other people going through other lines were getting real jacket vouchers off of a pad of vouchers. Others have said if you are renewing a 2007 pass you don't have to get a new photo taken. I presented my 2007 pass and the e-ticket and was asked to take a new photo.

First they tell us the jackets come out October 28, then the website AND my voucher read Starting Nov 5. Trip Reports from yesterday say people were handed the actual jackets. Had I known that, I would have collected it yesterday, now I have to make a special trip, which becuase I actually WORK means I can't get there till Saturday which means the choice sizes will be gone. :angry:

The only thing consistent in Admissions is inconsistency.

I have heard gripes from my former co-workers in the Admissions department. We used to have daily meetings with the whole department before the early shift started with any new policies, promotions, etc. and those same announcements were posted in the Admissions break room for the later shifts. According to my former co-workers, the morning meeting and the announcements on the board have discontinued since my time there. These were vital in dispensing information. Admissions always has so much to handle and trying to keep the associates informed of everything should be a priority. I would suggest to Kevin Cowden (the new Admissions Manager) and his crew to restart these for the 2008 season.

I too wasn't able to get my jacket yesterday because I didn't bring my voucher because I thought they weren't going to be there and I didn't want to lose my voucher, but that's ok I plan on being there Tuesday hopefully I can collect it then.

The quesition is - is the PR department and the Admission department talking to each other?

The answer to this is quite simple. No. There is no communication between departments. That's why information posted on here that supposedly came from the PR department about what the admissions department is doing is laughable. I'll say that again...it's laughable. No disrespect to any particular individual, of course. And I'll admit that my previous post in this topic was completely condescending. I didn't feel the need to slam anyone and I still don't. Nobody knows as much about the problem and the solution as I do. Trust me, I'm the most arrogant son of a ***** you will ever meet when it comes to how to solve the problem of my former department, and I'll always be the first to admit that. I know exactly what needs to be done. I know exactly how to fix the problem. But the main thing is that I know exactly what the problem is. There is a total lack of communication... not just between the departments, which by no means is a small problem, but also a lack of communication between managers, supervisors, and associates in Admissions alone. I can tell you that we had meetings every morning when I worked there. For someone to suggest that those meetings have stopped? That's one hell of an accusation. But it would be far worse, and it would look extremely bad for the department, if it was true. The right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing. And it's creating a lot of headache.

But Cedar Fair might not see this as a big problem. People are ****ed off? Who cares. Is it really losing us THAT much money? And to be honest with you, I could kind of see their point. Why fix it if it's not broken? Why do anything about it if it's not losing us money? Just because a business doesn't run smoothly doesn't mean a business can't prosper. But eventually it all comes full circle and you're left with the mess that is the Admissions department. I would say that I don't think it could get any worse. Oh, but it can.

Yes, I have been employed by Kings Island. But the checks always came from Paramount, not Cedar Fair. I have no loyalties whatsoever anymore. I find it really interesting that THIS is what Cedar Fair has done in its first year to a department that needed a little work before, but now needs a complete overhaul. May God have mercy on whatever soul is in charge of bringing some stability to it. But you know in a way... I would have no problem if that soul happened to be myself. I've already established that I'm a little arrogant about it. But I can gurantee that it's arrogance born out of passion. I understand how things work there. I understand their computer system that they use (and technically, that is my college major.) I would challenge anyone claiming to have a bigger passion for change to the department than I do. The problem is, I don't know if anyone really wants to listen to me or hear about the major problems that currently exist.

I have heard gripes from my former co-workers in the Admissions department. We used to have daily meetings with the whole department before the early shift started with any new policies, promotions, etc. and those same announcements were posted in the Admissions break room for the later shifts. According to my former co-workers, the morning meeting and the announcements on the board have discontinued since my time there. These were vital in dispensing information. Admissions always has so much to handle and trying to keep the associates informed of everything should be a priority. I would suggest to Kevin Cowden (the new Admissions Manager) and his crew to restart these for the 2008 season.

I know I already commented about this, but I feel the need to address it seperately. I really hope it's not true, but it actually makes sense. It's no wonder why the associates don't know anything if they've stopped these meetings. 80% of my job revolved around information I got from these meetings when I worked there in 2005. And I know Kevin from when I worked there. Overall, I thought he was a pretty decent manager although I never worked all that closely with him. I didn't really have any major complaints against his management when I was there, but at the time he wasn't the top manager. I'd hate to place the blame of the current state of the department squarely on his shoulders. I think there's enough blame to go around.

Nobody knows as much about the problem and the solution as I do. Trust me, I'm the most arrogant son of a ***** you will ever meet when it comes to how to solve the problem of my former department, and I'll always be the first to admit that.

I don't know about that, I can have some very strong opinions about my former department myself. ;)

I can tell you that we had meetings every morning when I worked there. For someone to suggest that those meetings have stopped? That's one hell of an accusation. But it would be far worse, and it would look extremely bad for the department, if it was true.

I'm just passing on the info that was relayed to me by several former coworkers, not making accusations...

It's no wonder why the associates don't know anything if they've stopped these meetings. 80% of my job revolved around information I got from these meetings when I worked there in 2005.

I couldn't agree with you more. These meetings were vital during my time as a line associate in the department, and later in my various management positions in the department we made sure that we dispensed as much info as we could in these announcements.

And I know Kevin from when I worked there. Overall, I thought he was a pretty decent manager although I never worked all that closely with him. I didn't really have any major complaints against his management when I was there, but at the time he wasn't the top manager. I'd hate to place the blame of the current state of the department squarely on his shoulders. I think there's enough blame to go around.

I know Kevin too. He is a good manager and very capable of doing the job, and I'm not placing the blame solely on him. He just recently within the last few weeks inherited the department from Jason who ran the department 2006-07, who inherited it from Rodney who ran the department 2005. Somewhere along the line the meetings, for whatever reason, were discontinued. I'm just saying that now that he's top manager, he should seriously consider bringing back the morning meetings. I think you and I can both agree on that point.

Kevin is a good guy, and I wish him the best of luck with heading the department. Now, what support he gets from upper management will play a HUGE role in his ability to turn the department around. Hopefully they will give him the freedom to make whatever changes are necessary, and not try to micro-manage the department the way they did the last couple years Paramount ran the place.

There is no false advertising here. False advertisement is not as simple as we said one thing, then did another. You have to prove that there was malicious intent (like trying to purposely mislead you) involved in the process. Sorry, but the whole "false advertisement" thing really gets on my nerves. Way too many people are convinced they were victims of false advertisement at some point or another. It's what they don't know about it that proves them wrong.

People, don't be so hard on Ryan. Neither he, nor CF, nor KI are trying to jerk you around. Sometimes, it's a simple matter of wording or misinterpretation (Interpreter, you can chime in if you like ;) )of their policies.

The answer to this is quite simple. No. There is no communication between departments. That's why information posted on here that supposedly came from the PR department about what the admissions department is doing is laughable. I'll say that again...it's laughable. No disrespect to any particular individual, of course. And I'll admit that my previous post in this topic was completely condescending. I didn't feel the need to slam anyone and I still don't. Nobody knows as much about the problem and the solution as I do. Trust me, I'm the most arrogant son of a ***** you will ever meet when it comes to how to solve the problem of my former department, and I'll always be the first to admit that. I know exactly what needs to be done. I know exactly how to fix the problem. But the main thing is that I know exactly what the problem is. There is a total lack of communication... not just between the departments, which by no means is a small problem, but also a lack of communication between managers, supervisors, and associates in Admissions alone. I can tell you that we had meetings every morning when I worked there. For someone to suggest that those meetings have stopped? That's one hell of an accusation. But it would be far worse, and it would look extremely bad for the department, if it was true. The right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing. And it's creating a lot of headache.

But Cedar Fair might not see this as a big problem. People are ****ed off? Who cares. Is it really losing us THAT much money? And to be honest with you, I could kind of see their point. Why fix it if it's not broken? Why do anything about it if it's not losing us money? Just because a business doesn't run smoothly doesn't mean a business can't prosper. But eventually it all comes full circle and you're left with the mess that is the Admissions department. I would say that I don't think it could get any worse. Oh, but it can.

Yes, I have been employed by Kings Island. But the checks always came from Paramount, not Cedar Fair. I have no loyalties whatsoever anymore. I find it really interesting that THIS is what Cedar Fair has done in its first year to a department that needed a little work before, but now needs a complete overhaul. May God have mercy on whatever soul is in charge of bringing some stability to it. But you know in a way... I would have no problem if that soul happened to be myself. I've already established that I'm a little arrogant about it. But I can gurantee that it's arrogance born out of passion. I understand how things work there. I understand their computer system that they use (and technically, that is my college major.) I would challenge anyone claiming to have a bigger passion for change to the department than I do. The problem is, I don't know if anyone really wants to listen to me or hear about the major problems that currently exist.

No communication between admissions and PR? No, that wasn't the problem. All of the employees were informed of the deals. Unfortunately, most employees working admissions are brand new, and it's hard to learn a new job, let alone memorize or try to decipher special deals like this.

Like I told you before, the girl at the window tried to tell me the offer wasn't valid, then told me it was only good for 2008 passes. I KINDLY asked her to get her supervisor, who was well informed of the deals. Everything went smoothly from there. Was it a bit of a hassle? Sure. But I don't expect anyone to be perfect. It really took less than a minute to purchase the tickets.

I hate to say this but the whole new employee thing is just an excuse. I can't see why they can't have printed material at each register so an associate new or old would know what current deals or specials are. Then if they have to get there supervisor to show them to run it through that's okay. They are some people that wouldn't have asked for a supervisor.

There is a much simpler solution. Keep promotions and pass requirements SIMPLE...so SIMPLE the public and the employees understand the terms and there can be no argument about them between reasonable people. One should not need to consult a Philadelphia lawyer to decide whether or not a certain thing can or cannot be done. One also should not get four different answers from four different park representatives, each honestly trying to help.