Could Son of Beast Accident Been Avoided?

coaster_junky

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Villain is techinicaly a wood coaster, so I'd assume that the track determines it, not the supports!

yes, but the supports determines if it is a hybrid or not

Perhaps in your world. That is NOT the industry definition. Gemini is steel, Adventure Express is steel, Villian is wood, the Coney Island Cyclone is wood (you would apparently call it a hyper...along with Villian).

Villain is techinicaly a wood coaster, so I'd assume that the track determines it, not the supports!

Perhaps in your world. That is NOT the industry definition. Gemini is steel, Adventure Express is steel, Villian is wood, the Coney Island Cyclone is wood (you would apparently call it a hyper...along with Villian).

why would i call them a hyper? none of them are over 200' tall :huh:

why would i call them a hyper? none of them are over 200' tall :huh:

Of course I meant "you would apparently call it a hybrid..." The fingers were faster than the brain! :)

Well, if you want to get technical about it, The Voyage and all wooden coasters have steel rails that are bolted to the eight layers of wood track. Most wood coasters also use steel rails for the side friction wheels as well, although some don`t use steel throughout the entire track. Furthermore, some wooden coasters, like the Fairly Odd Coaster use flanged wheels, and do not need side wheels to stay on track.

• 2 months later...
Well, if you want to get technical about it, The Voyage and all wooden coasters have steel rails that are bolted to the eight layers of wood track. Most wood coasters also use steel rails for the side friction wheels as well, although some don`t use steel throughout the entire track. Furthermore, some wooden coasters, like the Fairly Odd Coaster use flanged wheels, and do not need side wheels to stay on track.

blue streak at Cedar Point is like that to

blue streak at Cedar Point is like that to

Did ya miss this?

• 1 month later...

Correct. The steel is placed on top of the wood track, to provide a hard, smooth surface for the wheels to run over. Believe it or not, but wood is actually a soft material. If there were not steel rails installed, the wheel could actually form grooves in the wood, which would make for a rather bumpy ride. Sometimes, they will not place steel track for the side friction wheels or upstop wheels, in areas where they do not expect these wheels to come in contact with the wood.

I heard, Rather a family member heard from a friend who either helped work on the design or was higher up in seeing over the construction of SOB that from day one it was never a safe well designed or build coaster. He even told family members to not ride it. Although it might have just been his opinion that's what he does for a living.

Son of Beast is a safe ride. If it had severe design defects (which it ultimately did have design defects which ultimately led to the failure of the supports and the accident back in 2006.) the state of Ohio would not authorize the park to open the ride. Furthermore, if there were known safety problems with the ride, I doubt that Cedar Fair`s insurance company would allow the continued operation of the ride. Granted accidents are bound to happen on any ride at some point. Some of these can be traced to rider responsibility, while some, can be actually traced to a mechanical defect/problem with the ride.

Also, you don`t have much credibility, considering this was your first post here on KIC. Usually, there is not much merit to the reports of "I have a family member who heard from someone." about something.

I heard, Rather a family member heard from a friend who either helped work on the design or was higher up in seeing over the construction of SOB that from day one it was never a safe well designed or build coaster. He even told family members to not ride it. Although it might have just been his opinion that's what he does for a living.

Tell Uncle Wilbur to quit hitting the eggnog.

;)

Seriously though, why would a person that had close enough ties to the design/ construction knowingly allow an unsafe ride to operate?

Talk about a weight on your shoulders....

Whatever6, There were design flaws, yes. There was an accident, yes.

But here, the "I heard form someone high up" ploy doesn't pay off very well, especially after you read This.

Thanks for the link, Ill keep that in mind.

I understand that was my first post and the heard from thing doesn't hold much weight. Ive been browsing this site for a long time and finally decided to sign up and this thread reminded me of what I said in my above post. Anyway hopefully Ill be able to find out what his role was in the construction and find out why or how he thought it was unsafe and or flawed.