King's Island 10/20

skjackson

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but I am agreeing with everything tggr said. I mean, coming in and flaunting credentials will probably accomplish nothing except you getting severly flamed. I don't have much respect for ACE nor do I think the Golden Ticket Awards are anything to be screaming about either. I have read on many coaster sites how ACErs just love to flaunt their knowledge while standing in line for a ride by people who couldn't care less. Then, they whip out their ACE card so they can "prove" that they know more than anyone else. I'm sure not all Acers are like this, but it seems to be the image that the club is projecting. We know it all, you know nothing.

:angry:

Okay, so your ESPN comment has opened a whole new door for me.

When you watch ESPN, do they give you a ticket to the board room? I don't think so. Not only have I been a paying member of ACE since 1979, I have spent the last 13 years as a Regional Rep. I would think this fully validates my travel and knowledge of parks.

Again, why flaunt credentials when if your knowledge was valid (and I'm sure it is) it would show through your posts anyway?

And how does being a regional rep validate your knowledge? Only being on 400 coasters validates that you can comment on those 400 coasters, not the other coasters & parks you have not been to. So your knowledge is only for less than 25% of the industry worldwide. Sorry, knowing only 25% of anything is not something to hang your hat on after claiming to be an expert.

I have worked in it for over 10 years, including Six Flags (1982-1987), Disney(1987-1990), and Knott's Berry Farm(1980-1982).

I was wondering when the old standby would surface. Sure working for a park may gain you knowledge of how a park operates, but that is it. Unless you are in upper management you know as much as they want you to know. And being in board meetings for ACE would be a conflict of intrest if you were in upper management for any of those parks. Not to mention, being 39 years old, it is safe to assume that you probably worked at those parks at the age of 18 to 28. Well many things change in 11 years, so I suppose you were and expert at those parks, 11 years ago.

I came in here to post as a regular person, and you have turnrd me into a marked target for your disposal.

Well actually, you are the one that made the comment that you are considered an expert on most theme park operations. Just mentioning that is pretty much telling everyone that you do not consider yourself a regular person.

I have made MANY positive comments about the park. I even said that I would like to return next year to the event. You seem to be hung up on the fact that no one but you knows anything about theme parks.

Please don't forget about the comments that could help the park improve itself. Everyone needs constructive criticism to keep forging ahead. And no, I have never made any such claim to be any kind of expert.

If you keep questioning me, I will keep giving you answers that you OBVIOUSLY don't want to see.

It really does not bother me in the least bit. I have not put myself into the limelight by claiming to be an expert and having to defend my own comments.

It really is too bad that your experience at HH did not meet your expectations. If I only visited the park one time per year, and I had a bad time, I would also voice my opinion. I have had such experiences at KD, and have voiced my opinion.

But what does being a board member and regional rep for ACE have to do with your trip to KI for HH? I'm sure holding these positions did not make your time any less desirable than the next person.

Dalefan,

Have you really ridden 400 coasters? That's awesome! I think I've maybe ridden... IDK... 100 give or take 10! 400! That's freaking crazy... good job man. Got a question:

Is it worth the money to be an ACE member?

I've been thinking of joining, debating back and forth. I only really frequent about 3-4 parks every year (KI, Knotts, USF, and Busch Parks)... Is there much of a "Halloween/Haunting" section of ACE? I'm a member of the IAHA (International Association of Haunted Attractions) and they have a area/group for amusement/theme parks.

Just wondering... thanks. -Hauntguy

Dalefan,

Have you really ridden 400 coasters? That's awesome! I think I've maybe ridden... IDK... 100 give or take 10! 400! That's freaking crazy... good job man. Got a question:

I've been thinking of joining, debating back and forth. I only really frequent about 3-4 parks every year (KI, Knotts, USF, and Busch Parks)... Is there much of a "Halloween/Haunting" section of ACE? I'm a member of the IAHA (International Association of Haunted Attractions) and they have a area/group for amusement/theme parks.

I havent ridden that many lol. Its well worth the 60.00. Most parks have a ACE event every year which means ert on rides and food and tours of different areas and benifits as far as discounts and different things. The halloween thing i am not sure of. We sometimes have a event around the time the parks do the halloween thing. You will have to check on that. But ACE has all sorts of things going on across the world. You dont have to ride alot of coasters to be a member. Each state has a rep. or reps. for taking care of different things. I know the ACE main office is in Ohio like a hr from me. Cedar Point does CoasterMania every year which is the best coaster event in the world lol. Its an ACE event and a few other coaster clubs are always at the event too. The best time to sign up is after the parks close or before they open. Just go to aceonline.org and look and see if you like to join.

Please dont attack ACE or anyother coaster club. I am not one who stands in line saying i know everything about coasters. This guy is making it sound like we are a bad club. I dont go around bashing the site so please dont bash ACE.

ACE probably wouldn't be bashed if so many members were out there giving it a bad name. CoastersRZ on this site is in ACE and he is an amazing guy, definently one of my favorite people to go to the park with, unfortuanently, many others in ACE give it a bad rep.

Dalefan,

You really, really need to check out:

http://www.dafe.org/

Perhaps you already have. . .

On this site I kinda feel that I have to say this like I am at an A.A. meeting..."Hi, my name is Standbyme and I was a member of Ace"! Why do I say that? Because Ace definitely seems to get a bad reputation here. I was only a member for a year about a year ago. I admit I joined for selfish reasons, I wanted to attend their Beast Bash event to do the behind-the-scenes stuff, so I joined just for that. Before I joined I thought really hard if I wanted to join a club that I had heard so many bad things about on here just to see some behind-the-scenes stuff. By the impression I got here I really thought of it as either joining a squad of geeks or egotistical coaster fanatics. This is the FIRST time I have ever mentioned on here that I was a member! I took a couple of people with me to Beast Bash, but beforehand I warned them what kind of people that I had heard we would be hanging out with that day. So what did I find out? The things I had read on here were GREATLY exaggerated. I found that the majority of the people there were "normal". I was surprised to see familys in attendance...by what I had read here it didn't even occur to me that an Ace member did anything except ride coasters. During the whole day I only overheard one person fit the "egotistial description"...he seemed to know about every lap bar in every coaster and how certain trains should switch to them etc...but he was the only person I came into contact like that. It is just like this board, you get all types so you can't judge the whole board by a few posters.

So in conclusion let me say that even though I was an Ace member I readily admit that I was not then, nor will I ever even come close to knowing 1% of what can be known about coasters...nor do I care...I take them for face value and just like riding them. Also...I am sure I will rejoin when the next Halloween event hits at Kings Island.

I enjoyed HH this year, having gone on both friday and saturday nights. As a member of the media where you got exclusive treatment and as a regular guest who had to wait in long lines. I too look forward to seeing if the event possibly becomes an upcharge and if that helps crowds any as well as seeing the event come more up to par with the Knott's event if the park decides to keep going this direction with the event.

If the event possibly becomes an upcharge? It will be an upcharge in 2008.

Ryan mentioned the possibility, but that has not been 100 percent announced or confirmed, as hauntguy said lol.

^^^I didn't read in any of the posts where anyone questioned him being any kind of park expert until he whipped out the GT awards and ACE membership. Most people asked him a simple question like why he didn't expect the crowds to be insane on a Saturday. Not to mention that hidden agenda said ."There will always be some things that cannot be controlled. " Jackson took that as an isult to his intelligence, therefore, he needed to whip out the ACE and GT awards credentials. He only set himself up to be flamed every post after that.

We're back on topic now, and if anyone is gonna question the original poster, any other poster in this topic, or chime in their opinions, the least you can do is read the entire topic to get a feel for the context and subject being discussed.

It's common sense though, that the park will be overly packed on a Saturday.

The problem was not the crowds, he expected that he said. He said he had a problem with how the crowds were handled and regulated and wished it had been done in a similar fashion to Knott's event which is what they're trying to model KI's after in a few ways.

I did read his entire post and the entire thread. No one was saying he was an idiot. No one was questioning if he was a newbie to the industry or HH. Yeah, he said he expected busy crowds. But, he also stated he thought it was gonna be just like HH at KBF. Being in the biz as he says he has been, he should full well know that HH at KI was not going to be on par with KBF considering this is the first year for HH at KI and KBF's has been going on nearly as long as KI has been in existence. I feel for him that he had a bad experience. I've had them too and voiced them in the past. That's all fine and dandy and you'll notice that Ryan even stated that we were not attacking him personally, but ACE and the GT Awards in general.

skjackson I get your point and your complaints. Just your delivery was a tad bit arrogant which is what likely got people just a little upset. You really came out attacking the park with your "attitude". If you have complaints it is nice to pepper them with some nice things too.

I love Halloween Haunt no matter what day I go and truthfully, having been on all of the attractions and going all days not only this year but last year as well and this would make me an expert on this too. Having gone on all days I can say there are better days than others. Never judge ONE trip - it would be better to form your opinions on visiting on at least a few days.

I have had issues on some days too but it is NOT with Kings Island employees. It is with park visitors. Being in a wheelchair I am often walked into, stepped on, and made fun of. I sat behind Skyline and had some boys making fun of me trying to eat. I have had park visitors making fun of me for being heavy and in a wheelchair. Trust me when I say that if any of the scareactors/sliders/or even roamers had seen it they would have jumped to my defense as each one of them are awesome people. They would not do it because most of them know me but because they are like this toward everyone. My complaint would be more security for those employees because the same jerks making fun of me are attacking, punching, abusing them. I have several friends that have been abused by park visitors and left with marks over this. Real pathetic for these jerks to hit people that they know are not allowed to defend themselves. I want to be there one day to see this happen - ohhhh my wheelchair toggle switch can get jamed sometimes and I might just BUMP their ignorant feet!! Aww just a thought.

I grew up in Southern California when Knotts Berry Farm was a joke as far as amusement parks go and am very happy it has gotten a lot better - to me that is awesome!! I always loved Knott's Berry Farm. I also talk with a young woman that is extremely knowledgable of many amusement parks as her family has traveled to most of them over her father's career. We talk quite a bit and she has compared many to Kings Island.

Does Kings Island need to change? Yes they all do. Is there room for improvement? Of course there will always be room for improvement. The secret is to look at what is working. What did you enjoy about your trip? Highlight that and mention the things you did not like in a more constructive way and you will not get the reaction that you did get. I have seen the sign for the restaurant and all nights so far and the sign is in the right place. Someone might have moved it that ONE night to do something and forgot to put it back again. I have had the priviledge of eating in that restaurant prior to Haunt and the food, even thought the menu was just common food - my kind of food lol, it was really good.

Kings Island Haunt is much better than Fear Fest ever was. Next years Haunt will be even better than this years Haunt because Cedar Fair is all about improving and moving ahead.

So let's all calm down and if you have complaints try to pepper it with compliments and be constructive and not flat out insulting. Most of the people that post on this sight really love the park as I do too. I am a lot older than you are and I have been going to that park since it was still Coney Island. I have seen improvements through out the years.

On this site I kinda feel that I have to say this like I am at an A.A. meeting..."Hi, my name is Standbyme and I was a member of Ace"! Why do I say that? Because Ace definitely seems to get a bad reputation here. I was only a member for a year about a year ago. I admit I joined for selfish reasons, I wanted to attend their Beast Bash event to do the behind-the-scenes stuff, so I joined just for that.

There is absolutely no issues with being part of ACE, CoasterBuzz, TPR etc.

There are just a certain few that seem to believe that since they are part of a paying club that they attempt to shove their self proclaimed intelligence down people's throats.

Sure I could pony up the money and become a member of ACE in about 5 minutes. Does that make me an expert or more knowledgeable in the industry because I am now a member? Absolutely not.

Just a quick story:

I really enjoy having conversations waiting in the queue lines. It makes the time go by much faster. Not to mention that you can meet some rather intresting people. While waiting for Beast, my wife was asking about my first ride back in '79. So I mentioned things like the lake being there, and water coming out of the mine shaft themeing, and the lack of complete tunnels on the double helix. Right when I said that, the guy in front of us turned around and said, "You are right about the tunnels. Oh, you can ask me anything about the ride, I'm a member of ACE." And then proceeded to pull out his membership card.

To this day, I still don't know why he did that.

Chances are the majority of the club members are not like that, but it is the minority that get talked about the most.

Yes they did do away with the animals, but does Cedar Fair have experience with Animals? Nope, that is probably why they went.

Uh, not true... A very good group of Atlantic bottlenose dolphins by the names of Striker, Misty, Cocoa, and Breeze and a sealion named Skipper for several years all called Cedar Point home. Saddly each of those 4 are no longer with us...

And they had a nice aquarium next door and it was there I learned penguins literaly stink. And there was Jungle Larry's Safari, even though it was outdsoor vendor it was still in CP.

Worlds of Fun (?) and Knott's Berry Farm housed dolphins however they were rented out. The guy who rented those dolphins out had his full facility destroyed in hurricane Katrina (hence the disppearance of the dolphins Clovis and Echo at HersheyPark) and now has all his dolphins living in the Bahamas.

Well I was not going to do it, but I opened my brief case and found the following cards.

ACE- we know what that is.

GOCC-Great Ohio

FKF e.V.- Germany

ECC- European Coaster Club

RCCGB- Great Britain

CEC- Canada

WNYCC-Western New York

IAAPA-International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions

NAPHA-National Amusement Park Historical Association

I also have one from Japan, the Netherlands (that one is for Denmark and Sweden also), Australia, Latten America (pretty much covers South America), and a few years ago there was one from the United Arab Emirates. But they are not in the brief case. I also found an unused golden ticket ballot from this year and last. I am sure that I am missing a club or two or ten, but I think you get the idea. The big thing with me and all the clubs is that I NEED info, and my biggest source for it are the clubs and the publications that go with them. They make my job so much easer, I can some times find part numbers for rides in some of the magazines, and that is always a lot faster than calling any manufacture.

As far as the original post, you just used your knowledge against you. I am not saying that you were wrong, it's just the way you came across. That is the reason I posted the above, many people who have membership in any of the above, use it in the wrong manor. For example, if I am in line I do not care if you are an ACE member, I just want to have a conversation. Use your membership to your advantage, like to get into a park for a special event. Or like me, for information pertaining to my job. I too have had a bad experience in line with an ACE member, and just like every one else, it was with that 1 in 1,000 that give ACE a bad name. (If that guy is reading, 4 people did not die on The Bat after hitting an upright track support).