Busch Entertainment Corporation moving

Why do I think this is a MAJOR indication of one of two things:

a. They have decided to stay in the park business. (Note that Mr. Kasen, the major exec who was in charge of parks, is staying in St. Louis, purportedly to be in charge of expansion intiatives) OR

b. They are going to reduce expenses by consolidating operations at Seaworld Orlando, and separate off the park business (and its management) so it can more easily be sold? (Note that Mr. Kasen, the major exec who was in charge of parks, is staying in St. Louis, purportedly to be in charge of expansion intiatives)

I find myself wondering if CF will sell KI and I just can seem them selling KI to a major competitor with CP being just a few hours drive away. It may be fun for us because maybe the people that buy KI would start a coaster war with CP but CF doesn't want to lose any attendance at its flagship park by selling.

On the other hand, I was thinking of cool new owners of the park. I thought that either Microsoft or Sony would be really cool to have as owners. Could you imagine the crazy new themeing from your favorite games? Bill Gates could hook us up with millions out of his own pocket to put in our favorite types of coasters or what have you.

Just a fun thought.

It was just a fun thought, back off a bit. Who would you like to see run it?

PARAMOUNT!!! Just kidding! :wacko:

There is a big difference in movie companies such as Universal, Disney or Paramount owning parks and gaming companies owning them.

1. Movies tend to live in people's memories longer than games. Sure, Wolfenstein and Doom were great games for their time, but how many people still play the original incarnations? People are more apt to watch Top Gun or Italian Job than play an old game with outdated graphics. There are exceptions to this rule. How many people in the GP remember Drop Zone was a Paramount movie? And why would Paramount think it would be a GOOD idea to theme an entire section of a park to Wayne's World (Carowinds, I'm talking about you!)?

2. Movies have higher name recognition among the GP than games. Sure, games are popular with a certain demographic but movies have more widespread appeal. In the mind of the GP, do I really want to be bombarded with what basically amounts to an ad for a game that I will probably never own while I'm waiting in line for Soldier of Fortune: The Ride? I'm more likely to spend $5 at Blockbuster and 1 1/2 hours of my time to see Italian Job because I liked the ride than shelling out $300 for a PS3, another $60 for the game and 700 hours of my time trying to shoot everything that moves.

CF won't be selling KI any time in the near future, as they have a lot of money invested in it. And to sell it to a major competitor (which I don't even know who that would be. Disney, Busch, Universal are unlikely candidates, and the thought of SFKI is just too darn scary to consider) would not be a smart business move. Sure, it would be great for visitors to stimulate some competition, but wouldn't CF rather keep that money in their own pockets?

It is very well known the Dick Kinzel has loved KI for quite some time now.

I would be shocked to see KI sold under his leadership.

And on that note, CF, under Kinzel's watch, has done remakably well. Say what you want about GL, CF as a whole has done rather decent over a good amount of years.

I would not count them out just yet.

agreed; and contrary to the thoughts of some, I don't think that he made it a quest to buy GL just so CF could close it.

And about the movies- I agree. Tom Cruise is a moron but Top Gun was/is a great movie. Wow, I miss the days when you heard the term "MiG" and immediately though of the Soviet Union. For a great percentage on this site, that was never a country in your lifetime.

USSR........ RIP: 1917-1991

It is very well known the Dick Kinzel has loved KI for quite some time now.

I would be shocked to see KI sold under his leadership.

And on that note, CF, under Kinzel's watch, has done remakably well. Say what you want about GL, CF as a whole has done rather decent over a good amount of years.

I would not count them out just yet.

I remember when CF bought GL Dick Kinzel said the same thing about it and look where GL is now....torn apart and left for nothing.

On the other hand, I was thinking of cool new owners of the park. I thought that either Microsoft or Sony would be really cool to have as owners. Could you imagine the crazy new themeing from your favorite games? Bill Gates could hook us up with millions out of his own pocket to put in our favorite types of coasters or what have you.

Just a fun thought.

Really. I take it you don't realize Mr. Gates DOES invest in theme parks. He is, through his Cascade Investment LLC holding company, a 10.78 percent owner of Six Flags. Be careful what you wish for! :)

[quote name='Elmer Fudd' date='Oct 26 2007, 12:02 PM' post='182783'

USSR........ RIP: 1917-1991

Changing the name of a country is one thing, changing the form of government is another. The Iron curtain might be made of cloth now, but don't let the drapes impair your vision.