Old School Attractions

KIAlumnus

One thing that i like to do while I'm at the park is recall the attractions that were there years ago.

What is everyone's favorite attraction that has since been removed or discontinued? (does not have to be a ride, you pick)

One in particular for me is the clown band. Or how about Skylab (interesting to see that the area where skylab used to be is now the virtual reality system near coney mall) How things have changed over the last 20 years.

Aw, the clown band... I worked in the Bakery my first year, and I had just switched to tuba for marching band the summer before. I loved it when they played in front of the tower outside my window. Especially "25 or 6 to 4". The thought of playing that bassline, as simple but powerful as it is, made me want to audition for them. But they sadly were disbanded (ha! get it?) a few years later.

The ORIGINAL Enchanted Voyage before the Smurfs ruined it. My first looping coaster Screamin' Demon (I know very outdated now). The rotor (can't remember the real name) and the bobsled thingie (but I can ride a similar one at CP, Matterhorn). Tumblebug. Skylab. The monorail on a hot day. Zodiac (don't see too many of these around now). KCKC, and why not, KC, my first stand-up. Witches Cauldrons, I always liked this better than Spinning Keggers because of the witch flying around and the cat popping out of the tree.

Have I listed too many? Nostalgia has struck, time to watch the Brady Bunch episodes now... and then maybe I'll pop in The Partidge Family for good measure.

Guest TombraiderTy
definitely the parking lot tram.

I find the parking lot to be so small compared to places like Walt Disney World and Busch Gardens, I wouldn't even use the parking lot tram if the returned it.

Guest kwindshawne

I agree with the tram issue. Some of the elders were so worn out by the time they got to the gate, I thought a few of them would drop on the spot.

Back in the 70's, the trams were a good way for families to talk about the day together..something that is sorely lacking now...simple socialization.

I also forgot to mention enchanted voyage was a treasured childhood memory...I was p***** when I heard it was removed.

My favoite childhood memories are the Flying Dutchman (we called it "riding the shoes"), my sister and I scaring the hell out of my old parents by rocking the cars on skyride and zodiac, the original Enchanted Voyage, Screamin' Deamon and King Cobra.....

Does anyone else remember the Bi-plane show that they used to have? I always liked that too....

YOU wouldn't, but many guests who visit the park have a great deal of trouble walking. It would be a kindness to run the trams again, if only for them.

Sigh.

Well the trams were for a variety of reasons. Not only was it good guest relations, but was also to maintain crowd control into the park and out to the parking lot. Add in the fact that it provided information about park happenings and it was simply a great feature.

I remember the Airshow, complete with the bi-planes and skydivers, family friends of ours flew the plane for the skydivers. The canoe ride where Beast is, the original Enchanted Voyage, Gullivers Rub a Dub Dub, the Wonder Bread Bakery on International Street are all great memories. How about when International Street really was international? I also miss Wild Animal Habitat, and the original themed area concept of the park.

^I have been looking for pictures of the DC-3 that was the platform for the sky divers. Would you happen to have, or are you able to get pictures of the plane from your friends? The plane is now on static display in Canada. They do not have any pictures of it while Goodyear owned it that they can release, and Goodyear......well they sell tires. This is the plane, but it would be good to get some pictures to go with this info. Any would be greatly appreciated and accredited. Thanks.

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/dc3registry/dak-6261.html

Aw, the clown band... I worked in the Bakery my first year, and I had just switched to tuba for marching band the summer before. I loved it when they played in front of the tower outside my window. Especially "25 or 6 to 4". The thought of playing that bassline, as simple but powerful as it is, made me want to audition for them. But they sadly were disbanded (ha! get it?) a few years later.

The ORIGINAL Enchanted Voyage before the Smurfs ruined it. My first looping coaster Screamin' Demon (I know very outdated now). The rotor (can't remember the real name) and the bobsled thingie (but I can ride a similar one at CP, Matterhorn). Tumblebug. Skylab. The monorail on a hot day. Zodiac (don't see too many of these around now). KCKC, and why not, KC, my first stand-up. Witches Cauldrons, I always liked this better than Spinning Keggers because of the witch flying around and the cat popping out of the tree.

Have I listed too many? Nostalgia has struck, time to watch the Brady Bunch episodes now... and then maybe I'll pop in The Partidge Family for good measure.

The one flat ride was indeed called the Rotor, so you are correct. The bobsled style ride I think you are referring to was The Bayern Curve, although Matterhorn is not really like that. Matterhorn I believe has tubs that swing whereas The Bayern Curve ran on rails almost like coaster track. Screamin' Demon was my first looper and backwards ride. Seemed really cool at the time.

The Eagles, King Cobra, and KCKC are all tied. Those 3 were fantastic rides. I'll never forget them :(

I was also a big skylab fan.

Now... let me turn the table. Stuff that I despise that's still there.... DAYS OF THUNDER! TRTR! Eurobungy!

One thing that i like to do while I'm at the park is recall the attractions that were there years ago.

What is everyone's favorite attraction that has since been removed or discontinued? (does not have to be a ride, you pick)

One in particular for me is the clown band. Or how about Skylab (interesting to see that the area where skylab used to be is now the virtual reality system near coney mall) How things have changed over the last 20 years.

Well now, let me think ! Having read the posts on this topic "old school attractions", I totally recall and relate to most of them. My favorite ride was the King Cobra, although that's not very many years gone. I loved the clown band, the parachute show, and the bi-planes show. I loved riding the train when it went into "indian country" and the old settlement. It had real, live, people in the village. That was, until some jerk decided to have an "incident" with a young lady back there. Hence, no more real people in the settlement. It was just statues, fake people, or whatever you want to call them. It was cool, seeing people dressed in "period" clothing, and they would wave at the people on the train. It was "real" and you really felt like you were back in the pioneer days.

I also remember the Wild animal safari - the tram went back into the animal preserve, and there were lions, and giraffes and sometimes a lion would be lying on the tracks and the tram would have to stop till it moved. That was a great experience. Till some jerk (employee) got out of the jeep, and the lion got him/her. No more Wild animal safari . One of the tram cars is now a feature at Jungle Jim's (grocery store complex) on Rt 4 in Fairfield.

Oh, that was a wonderful Kings Island. I guess the young folds just laugh at us "old timers" now.

I'm sad I didn't get to see Kings Island in its earlier years. It sounded like there were some cool attractions.

I miss King Cobra, Eagles, Les Taxis, and KCKC. In fact, King Cobra was my first looper, I only got to ride it twice before they removed it.

I too remember the village and the Indians on the train. That was always fun.

Wasn't there a leaf tunnel or something to that effect? I remember walking through it when I was younger, but I don't really know where it was.

I'm sad I didn't get to see Kings Island in its earlier years. It sounded like there were some cool attractions.

I miss King Cobra, Eagles, Les Taxis, and KCKC. In fact, King Cobra was my first looper, I only got to ride it twice before they removed it.

I too remember the village and the Indians on the train. That was always fun.

Wasn't there a leaf tunnel or something to that effect? I remember walking through it when I was younger, but I don't really know where it was.

Just the tunnel from Hanna Barberra Land to Rivertown.

Great place to cool down on a hot day.