Future of Coney Island, Cincinnati- our Beloved Park

westcoaster

Not that I don`t doubt you. But almost the entire turn after the lift hill had the track removed. (That is longer than just a few boards). And there were several new boards in place as well. There was also a gage guide laying on some of the new wood. But the fact that the trains had been removed means that they were likely undergoing off season maintenance as well. Ohio Ride Inspectors stay busy in the off season as well, inspecting the rides when the parks tear the train apart and rebuild them every off season.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got me depressed now, Rob. No one coming for the rides? I understand that more people go to the waterpark, but I'm still usually pretty busy on 50% of the rides when I work them.

Anyways, I'd love to see something cool at Coney, but lets be realistic here.

2008: Relocation of slide, construction of Riverbend, new shows.

2009: Swinging ship-type ride by Lake Como (it can fit with some clever path rerouting)

2010: Small-medium coaster in the back half of the park.

Sorry. It not like I want to state something negative about the rides department at Coney. Heck, I`ve worked in that department in the summer months for the last six years! And I could potentially be returning next summer as well. However, it is a fact. Most families that come to Coney are not coming solely for the rides, but rather the pool. Some may come because of the pool and the rides, but few come strictly for the rides. That being said, having worked the ticket booth numerous times. There are plenty of people that come to the park to ride only the rides. Its just that the amount of people that come strictly for the rides do not provide enough income to cover the costs of staffing the rides. Especially with the increases in Ohio`s minimum wage.

I don`t know recall if that was part of the legislation that Ohio voters passed into law. I seem to recall that it wasn`t. At any rate, most seasonal amusement parks have a hard enough time filling all their positions, and that is with paying their employees minimum wage. Just imagine the employee shortages they would suffer if they paid their employees less then the minimum wage? Keep in mind that as seasonal workers, they do not qualify for overtime pay. As a result, they can work 50-60 hour weeks earning the same minimum wage rate.

Not that I don`t doubt you. But almost the entire turn after the lift hill had the track removed. (That is longer than just a few boards). And there were several new boards in place as well. There was also a gage guide laying on some of the new wood. But the fact that the trains had been removed means that they were likely undergoing off season maintenance as well. Ohio Ride Inspectors stay busy in the off season as well, inspecting the rides when the parks tear the train apart and rebuild them every off season.

And your point would be what?

For one, I think someone inside the park ought to be the first to know about one of the rides having issues.

Secondly, it IS possible that they are retracking the turnaround for maintenance reasons while at the same time, insuring that an incedent doesn't happen again so the Teddy Bear will be more reliable.

And thirdly, of course the train is off, because it would make perfect sense that since the Teddy Bear will not be running for the remaining part of the season, to go ahead and take the train off the track and get it into the shop.

There shouldn't be any doubt involved when it doesn't have to be one or the other.

• 9 months later...

In my opinion Coney should have the following in the next 5 years.

2010- Fixing the brakes on some of the Rock o Planes cars and repainting of the Trabant (the paint is in pretty sad shape) also more advertisements should be used

2011- Remake of the Mini Golf Course (the course now is basically 3 hole types used over and over again)

2012- Small log flume with a station located between where moonlite gardens and the scrambler are now located

2013- Nothing

2014- Small top Spin Ride

There is nothing wrong with the brakes on the Rock O Plane cars. Every single one can be "locked" and go upside down. If you can`t get the car to flip upside down, you simply are not pulling back hard enough on the black circle. Just ask Gordon Bombay. I know how to get those tubs spinning like crazy! RoP is one of the only two rides I`ve had to clean up a protein spill on this year. (The other being River Runner).

Don`t look for a remake of Famous Fairways Mini Golf. It just got new greens installed a couple years ago (actually it might have been last year).

And, as of yesterday, the Zoom Flume demolition has been completed. There are no remaining traces of the Zoom Flume standing at Coney Island.

I know it will probably never happen, but...

Let's bring back a substantial portion of that Coney Island nostalgia!

Adding a Shooting Star type wooden coaster would be great, but bringing back Coney like it use to be,

would be the top of my wish list.

Again, probalbly would never happen... but nice to wish upon a shooting star!

pilotank

Don`t look for many upgrades next year on the rides side. Round Up was painted about three years ago, and is not in need of a new paint job. The ride that could really use a fresh coat of paint is my favorite ride to run, the Ferris Wheel. It hasn`t been painted once since I`ve worked at Coney, while some rides, like the Helicopters, have been painted twice!

• 4 weeks later...

Coney still owns the Spin-A-Ree, and the ride is currently in storage on property. Will it return in the future? I don`t know, but there is always that chance, as they did not completely get rid of the ride.

Coney needs to continuously upgrade the various areas of the park. The last two years they have added things to the rides side of the park. The last thing to be added to the Sunlite pool area was the Cyclone slide into the deep end of the pool in 2006. Besides, water slides and attractions are among the hottest thing in the amusement industry right now. Not to mention that the Zoom Flume was thirty one years old, which is fairly old, considering it was built before both the Beach and Kings Island`s water park even opened!

They removed the Spin-A-Ree because its former location was needed to install the River Runner.

I don`t know. While the Twister is a large investment, I`d imagine Coney will still add something in 2010, even if it is a very small addition, or just general park improvements.

• 2 months later...

I bet they will get a new coaster sometime.

They might buy a small coaster such as a wild mouse from the next park that goes Bankrupt. (though thats doubtful) As soon as the Pepsi Python is too old to be safely run they will probably buy another Galaxi or a Wild Mouse to go in its place, though the Pepsi Python is a fairly new ride and will not be going anywhere soon.

The Pepsi Python was built in 1996 and moved to Coney for the 1999 season. If you`ve ever ridden it, you know that the drops on it are quite forceful. I would not expect to see that ride leaving Coney anytime soon.

Will Coney ever get a new coaster? Well 'ever' is a fairly strong word. I`d say that at some point they might get a new coaster. Personally, I think a ride the size of the Tornado at Stricker`s Grove would do wonders for the park. Do I anticipate them getting that anytime soon? No not really.

Keep in mind that Coney is sinking a lot of money into the park in 2009. The $1.7 million Twister slide complex and another $300,000 in other park improvements. Between the additions in 2008 and 2009, Coney has spent $3 million on improvements. While that wouldn`t buy any large sized coaster, Coney could potentially afford a new coaster at some point down the road. When is anybody`s guess though.

Also, keep in mind that Coney floods fairly often, so anything large will have to be built specifically for flood conditions, therefor costing more. The Python, being a carny ride (yes, its portable,) is fine in flood conditions. So I doubt that we will see the days of the Wildcat again.

Well, to quote the show Lost, "never say never." Highly unlikely, yes.

All the lounge chairs at the pool are placed in trailers at the end of the season. That way if a spring flood threatens the park, all they have to do is attach a rig to the trailers and haul them to higher ground. And, all the smaller rides have their electrical panels removed during the off season, to protect them from any floods.

The last time that Coney flooded was in 2005. However, this past March, it came close to flooding. The deep end of the pool was flooded with river water, as was part of the parking lot near River Downs. Had it gone a few feet higher, the rest of the park would have been under water.

• 1 month later...

I need to post more often...

I still say a coaster is viable. I'm thinking some form of Wild Mouse or one of those L&T coasters. They have some interesting mini-med coaster designs that we could probably fit. Anyways, my predictions last time were sort of right, so time to take another look into the future.

2010: New Waterslide/play area in Sunlight Pool

2011: New flat, possibly Disk-O or something from LaSourdsville

2012: New coaster (mouse or L&T design)

As one last note, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF2429wClUo I think that would be a perfect coaster for the park. It would get the thrillseeker demographic, and possibly the traditional park-goer to recall the old days when Coney had a mouse.