Obesity Epidemic Leads To Bigger Rides

Guest kwindshawne

I work in medical equipment, and accomodating people is becoming a real problem. It is not that rare for me to try to fit a walker to someone 6 foot 6 and over 300 pounds. While some are very much overweight, the taller guys are just big. A few years ago that stuff was special order, and now I carry it in stock.

Weight charts for medical providers are simply out of kilter.

They generally do not take into consideration people that participate in various sports - ie: Weightlifting, Powerlifting, Football, Rugby, etc.

Many moons ago, I was at my lowest body fat percentage at about 10% or 11%. (Only time my abs actually showed.) I had a doctor that told me that I was overweight based upon his charts. I was just about dumbfounded.

Yeah the height problem is definitely an issue. I'm 6'6", and for the most part I can ride almost anything. However, I've had some problems. I can't ride Delirium (though I can ride maXair @ cp.......???). I also can't ride Deja Vu at SFGAm in Chicago, but apparently that's no problem any more because it sounds like they're removing it. There are also some smaller family rides that I really don't like riding because of the lack of legroom (Cedar Creek Mine Ride!!!). But for the most part, everything else is fine for me :)

Guest kwindshawne
Weight charts for medical providers are simply out of kilter.

They generally do not take into consideration people that participate in various sports - ie: Weightlifting, Powerlifting, Football, Rugby, etc.

Many moons ago, I was at my lowest body fat percentage at about 10% or 11%. (Only time my abs actually showed.) I had a doctor that told me that I was overweight based upon his charts. I was just about dumbfounded.

I agree. At my lowest point, i was 118 lbs, and at 5 foot 2, the chart still said i should be 100 pounds, but I can attest I looked anorexic at that point.

I have seen 2 that were a real problem-one was 6 foot 7, the other 6 foot 9-let me tell you, with current equipment, it is impossible to fit them with anything.

My brother is 6'10" but he's really skinny... you'd be surprised how much stuff he can ride. He can't ride Drop Zone or Delirium, but everything else at KI is no problem for him. On FoF he has a little trouble getting the lab bar over his knees, but he can fit with a little effort. And at CP on Mantis he really has to strain to stand up "straight" because the thing doesn't go high enough. But again, he gets on at least 90% of the rides without much struggle.

I always find it interesting how Delerium has the 6'4" height limit yet Tomb Raider does not. We still got people who were too tall, they just weren't turned away at the door.

In 2005, skyflyer got the infamous, one black suit. The suit that fits those who will not fit in a red suit. Believe me there weren't many people who couldn't use a red suit but as the necessity grew...

Woohoo! Call off my diet plans! (just kidding everyone, it's still on)

I never imagined the Small World boats getting stuck. How embarassing would that be?

Now if only KI would offer some healthier food choices as well. Burgers, fries, pizza, chicken strips and fried chicken, fried fish and shrimp, cheese coneys and 3-ways are not what I would consider the best choices. Sure, they added Chinese in Festhaus, but I don't want that every time. Now, the turkey burgers at WDW are great! And with the kids meals, you can get the option of a fruit and cheese cup as a side. WDW does it right, and their food prices are lower. Still high, but lower than KI.

I really wish that they would carry healthier food too. Also just one place with something filling without meat (i haven't tried the Chinese yet, but I am obviously going for that from now on cause I don't like filling up on cheese sticks or strickly cheese pizza.

If I was turned away at Millenium Force or any other ride due to my weight I would consider that a huge wake up call, not demand a bigger seat. In 2006 I was really worried about fitting on Millenium and TTD, it was close on Millenium but I still fit all 5 rides I still considered that a wake up call and by 2007 I could ride it comfrotably. Now that I'm in college and have my room its a lot easier to regulate what I eat. I dont have any pop in my refrigerator, just water. I eat right when I go to the dining hall and the only time i ever really indulge is if someone comes and visits. I dont want to be a statistic.

Agree on the height thing, Im 6'3" with a very wide and tall torso. I will also freely admit that Im overweight, and my flirting with MF, TTD, and B&M normal seats limits are my own doing, however the Intamin OTSRs on their older inverted coaters (minus Volcano which had half the seats have bigger belts or at least did back they year XLC opened and S:UE one year when I found a seat with a really big belt) I cannot, no matter what I do fit into those restraints, my sholders are too big and torso too tall, I can make a fist and still not touch the restraint and my body at the same time when trying to get on those things.

Gordon, my wife was turned away from MF and she is now making an effort to fit next year. I was embarassed for her and she actually cried over it. I was so disappointed because she was looking forward to riding MF over Dragster. The ride op on Dragster was really cool. My wife needed a little help and was talking with her saying she didn't think she would fit. The op replied," I'm a big farm girl myself, so if I can fit, so can you." She helped her with the belt and then we were on our way. I wish I knew her name so I could thank her personally. Her comment gave us a chuckle and she really made an effort to get her on Dragster.

Gordon, my wife was turned away from MF and she is now making an effort to fit next year. I was embarassed for her and she actually cried over it. I was so disappointed because she was looking forward to riding MF over Dragster. The ride op on Dragster was really cool. My wife needed a little help and was talking with her saying she didn't think she would fit. The op replied," I'm a big farm girl myself, so if I can fit, so can you." She helped her with the belt and then we were on our way. I wish I knew her name so I could thank her personally. Her comment gave us a chuckle and she really made an effort to get her on Dragster.

That surprises me. I didn't think that the ride ops were allowed to help get the riders buckled up. That was really nice of her.

If I was turned away at Millenium Force or any other ride due to my weight I would consider that a huge wake up call, not demand a bigger seat.

I agree. As I posted in another thread, I'm losing weight this off season for that reason (and before someone says it, also the health benefits). I wouldn't expect a bigger seat because they also have to accommodate smaller riders. Now when a manufacturer tightens their restrictions (Intamin) I'll gripe a little, but I can certainly understand the reasoning behind it, as safety comes first.

Let me tell ya there are just some rides that were not well thought out when it came to comfortability. Such as Mr.Freeze(st.louis) I had to shift my legs sideways to get the buckle to lock. Now two trains before me I seen a taller/heavier person get aboard and no problems. I believe the seat belts that lock to the lap bar are various sizes it's like there's no standard/specs to go by. I remember the SOB was that way at first my complaint with that was the stupid foot brace. Maybe people should shrink or loose weight? I firmly believe that the tolerances on their spec charts need adjusting just Little. I know a few maintenance men that work at undisclosed parks and they confirmed that certain standard operating procedures are overlooked :blink:

I'm sure there are more than a few lawyers in the world who would love to have those maintenance people testify in their cases. Somehow, I doubt seriously that ANY park is knowingly and willingly compromising safety standards.

Yes it does sound ludicrous but you just might be surprised what gets overlooked per-say to get the job done :huh: oh yeah, but let's leave it at that gotta think positive if you wanna have fun I know i do :Lil: