2008 Cedar Fair Capital Expenditures Press Release

^ why would painting an existing ride be considered CAP EX? My company is pretty creative when it comes to classifying things as capital, but I don't see how that argument could be made for a paint job...

http://moneycentral.msn.com/taxes/glossary...y.asp?TermID=49

Now, if your point is that it takes CAPITAL (aka "money") to accomplish it of course that's right. However, "CAP EX" has a very specific and definite meaning as determined by the IRS.

So Kings Island is getting nothing next year?

It sure looks that way,it's the same type of chainwide announcement that SFI did back in september...in which every park but SFKK & SFA announced new rides for 2008.

That's the only thing that I'm dissapointed in: nothing for me to look forward to locally in '08. Both SFKK and KI aren't known to be getting anything. I must say I'm a little suprised that BB isn't getting a small renovation and/or expansion such as Carowinds is doing. BB is a big draw and we've had two coasters, and a kids area overhaul since it's introduction.

Just of of curiousity, Interp (I've always wondered this)--what's the standard depreciation schedule for a rollercoaster?

I think we can all agree that it depreciates to a base once they feel as though it is directly responsible for a cash flow from the initial capital investment. I'd say that they'd base it off of an attendence spike the first year, and good old fashion guessing the following years.

So Kings Island is getting nothing next year?

It sure looks that way,it's the same type of chainwide announcement that SFI did back in september...in which every park but SFKK & SFA announced new rides for 2008.

That's the only thing that I'm dissapointed in: nothing for me to look forward to locally in '08. Both SFKK and KI aren't known to be getting anything. I must say I'm a little suprised that BB isn't getting a small renovation and/or expansion such as Carowinds is doing. BB is a big draw and we've had two coasters, and a kids area overhaul since it's introduction.

I'm just glad to see KD getting something "new" as 2008 will mark five years straight that SFA hasn't added any new investments into the ride side of the park,after that announcement came out in september I simply stopped going for the remainder of the season & won't be returning there as a pass holder in 2008.

Well that was a waste of a season pass for next year.:( Shame on you Kings Island.

Because there may not be a new ride for the park in '08, you feel that your money was wasted for a season pass?

You have got to be kidding me!

CF added a new coaster to the park in '07 and spent a large amount of money to fix a plagued ride. And you are still not happy? Did you not have fun at the park in '07?

The park is not obligated to add a new ride every year just for your enjoyment.

Some people are just never happy.

I dunno.. looks like alot of construction in the woods for something random as a bathroom..

If you dont think rides are comin, you could prolly look forward to something 'sweet' n the food department I would guess.

That could be preperations for the rumored hyper coming in 09,don't you think that if KI were adding a new ride,along with VF & WOF for 2008 they would've announced it in the chainwide cap ex press release already?

If a patron of the park generally plans visits around the years new attraction then the lack of that new attraction may not warrant a trip to the park. The reason these parks add new attractions is to draw the crowds year after year. Despite what some people like to profess, there are very few people who go to Kings Island to partake in there dining options and take in the shows to think other wise is silly.

I doubt there is such a thing...and if I knew, I'd consider that proprietary information! :) Perhaps an analyst should ask Mr. Kinzel that during this conference call!

I'm sure that CF has many accountants and lawyers who work very hard to maximize the depreciation deductions when it comes time to file the tax returns.......

From a financial reporting standpoint it has a lot more to do with when and how you book costs against your P&L, and how it affects EBITDA (which CF--and a lot of companies-- loves to use as an indicator), then it does tax deductions. For a company like CF, the difference between capitalizing an item or booking it as a current year expense can be the difference between a profit (EBITDA-derived profit anyway) and a loss...so, yeah--you're right that I'm sure they watch it very closely :)

If a patron of the park generally plans visits around the years new attraction then the lack of that new attraction may not warrant a trip to the park. The reason these parks add new attractions is to draw the crowds year after year. Despite what some people like to profess, there are very few people who go to Kings Island to partake in there dining options and take in the shows to think other wise is silly.

So the rides that are currently in the park are not worth it year after year? The only reason to go to the park is for a new ride?

Now THAT is silly.

It's far too early to know for sure there is no new ride for next year. Perhaps not a world record breaking honking coaster, but no new ride? No one knows that for sure yet. Just nothing of such a magnitude that it merited a mention in either the third quarter conference call or the capital investment press release. . .