What Is Coney Island Cincy?

House

Are you kidding? :huh::huh::huh:

Google is a pretty cool thing, you should check it out. www.google.com Search: Coney Island Cincinnati

Result #1: http://www.coneyislandpark.com/

According to Wikipedia:

Coney Island, Cincinnati, Ohio

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Interested in contributing to Wikipedia? •Jump to: navigation, search

For other uses of "Coney Island", see Coney Island (disambiguation).

Moonlite Gardens at Coney IslandConey Island is an amusement park in the California neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio and Anderson Township Hamilton County, on the banks of the Ohio River east of Downtown Cincinnati, Ohio. It is located in "Cincinnati's Playland".

[edit] History

Coney Island started in the 1870s as an apple orchard farm owned by James Parker, who realized that his location along the Ohio River was a profitable location to attract people looking to visit. The orchard was sold to Ohio Grove Corporation and was officially renamed "Grove Park, The Coney Island of the West," and opened June 21, 1886. In 1887, the Grove Park name was dropped and the park renamed to "Coney Island."

Over the years, the park became a full-fledged amusement park, complete with rides and carnival games. In that capacity, Coney Island was a Cincinnati institution. However, the park's proximity to the river made it prone to frequent flooding, and the park closed its amusements on September 6, 1971. Almost all of the rides were moved to the new Kings Island theme park in nearby Mason, Ohio. However, the Sunlite Pool â€â€ the largest recirculating swimming pool in the world â€â€ remained open, and remains a recreation center and meeting place for local youth.

In recent years, Coney Island has resurrected itself as a traditional amusement park, with familiar rides such as the "Tilt-a-Whirl" and bumper cars, as well as carnival games and musical shows. Over a period of time, the park's management is rebuilding the property into its heyday image.

[edit] Events

Coney Island serves as the location for several festivals, including Summerfair Arts Festival, the "Cincinnati Celtic World Festival" and the Cincinnati Flower and Farm Fest. Concerts are also held in the Moonlite Gardens area of the park, most notably by Over the Rhine.

[edit] External links

Coney Island Web Site

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_Island%2C_Cincinnati%2C_Ohio"

Its kind of the father park of Kings Island (notice the "Island" part (in Kings Mills Ohio))

Coney Mall aka Coney Maul previously known as Coney Island is somewhat of a tribute to the classic fair types of rides at Coney Island. (poor tribute now days)

The place has a rich history involving apples, floods, rides, pools, gardens, moonlight, shooting stars, sunlight, and hot dogs.

I'm sure CoastersRZ would love to elaborate.

...as opposed to Astroland at Coney Island (a place name in New York State often thought to be the name of an amusement park...it is NOT). Also at Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York is Deno's Wonder Wheel Amusement Park, 12th Street Amusements and Kiddie Park. A long time ago, Steeplechase was also there, with the world famous Thunderbolt.

Yep. Coney`s official website is www.coneyislandpark.com. Or, you can check out the unofficial website on Coney Island, and an extension of KICentral at www.coneyisland.KICentral.com. You can find lots of useful information on there, as well as historical pictures.

And, Coney Island Cincinnati got its name back in 1886. Under new ownership, the owners changed the name from Parker`s Grove to Ohio Grove: The Coney Island of the West. After a while, the Ohio Grove portion was dropped and the park became known simply as Coney Island.

• 1 month later...

Yep. Back at the turn of the century (the early 1900`s), there were many Cincinnati area parks that Coney was competing with. There was the above mentioned Ludlow Lagoon, in Ludlow, Kentucky. There was also Chester Park by Springrove Avenue, as well as LeSourdsville Lake several years later. With the exception of the last park mentioned, these parks all closed up shop by the time World War II had set in. LeSourdsville Lake was able to hang on by a thread. Its neighboring Fantasy Farm didn`t last long and closed in the early 1990s (the current Tilt A Whirl at Coney came from Fantasy Farm). LeSourdsville Lake lasted a little longer, until finally falling after a failed relaunch in 2002. Today, many of the rides from LeSourdsville Lake have been relocated. The Rock O Plane now rocks at Coney Island, the Electric Rainbow now spins at Stricker`s Grove, and the Serpent is being relocated to Kokomo`s Family Fun Center in Saginaw, Michigan.

Wow, I went into way too much history there. I hope you find that enjoyable.

They were Ludlow Lagoon's biggest competitor :lol:

I've never heard of this, does someone have a link to their web page?

I would not walk on the land of the old Ludlow Lagoon today its a toxic waste dump. It has been covered up with a lot of dirt so not much to see anymore.

They were Ludlow Lagoon's biggest competitor :lol:

I've never heard of this, does someone have a link to their web page?

I would not walk on the land of the old Ludlow Lagoon today its a toxic waste dump. It has been covered up with a lot of dirt so not much to see anymore.

Are any remnants of the park still standing? I kind of like exploring abandoned amusement parks...

http://queencitydiscovery.blogspot.com/200...01_archive.html

According to the book "Amusement Parks of Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky" by Robert J. Wimberg, fire destroyed the dance hall on May 14, 1921. Two days later the owners decided to abandon the park. By August 4th of 1923, the last structure fell to the demolition crews. Houses were built on the site of the old park in 1925, and the lake was finally filled in in 1967. The old clubhouse is now an apartment building.

Wow, I never knew that KI Central had a sub domain pertaining to Coney island. Great job with the site CoastersRZ, I honestly never knew that much about Coney Island, nor its rides (as I have never visited it) but I really want to take a trip now! Keep up the good work!

Yep. Coney Island Central went live back in July, but has not been heavily promoted on KIC until recently. Keep in mind that you can now directly access Coney Island Central from the following address: coneyislandcentral.com.

Coney is a fun little park, with one giant pool and some great flat rides that cannot be found at Kings Island. Definitely worth a visit! Thanks for the kind words about the site. It is another way that KIC (and CIC) are working to give you the best coverage of Kings Island, and the park that actually spawned Kings Island, Coney Island.

• 3 months later...

Chester Park was located across

from Spring Grove Cemetery.

Yesteryear:

http://www.soaphs.com/chesterindex.htm

Today:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&...=Cincinnati,+OH

Lagoon Lake in Ludlow, Ky.

Yesteryear:

http://www.kenton.lib.ky.us/gen/kenton/ludlow/places2.html

Today:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=31...sa=N&tab=wl