'Paramount' Removed from Parking lot sign

BoddaH1994

Now you all say that Paramount was a bad time for Kings Island when it wasn't!!! But what about Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland, and Great America? How was Paramount bad on those parks? If they were bad at KI, then they must have been up to something at the other Paramount Parks.

(And BTW, I'm not saying that this board is racist, but EVERY SINGLE PERSON on this board hates PAramount! Why??? I think something bad happened here...)

...and since when was Paramount classified as a race?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you all say that Paramount was a bad time for Kings Island when it wasn't!!! But what about Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland, and Great America? How was Paramount bad on those parks? If they were bad at KI, then they must have been up to something at the other Paramount Parks.

(And BTW, I'm not saying that this board is racist, but EVERY SINGLE PERSON on this board hates PAramount! Why??? I think something bad happened here...)

Kings Dominion was in such bad condition under Paramount I can't explain. Sure they have some good rides, but there is much much more to a park than rides. the general atmosphere is terrible, not to mention they did not clean the place, etc.

In one year what CF has done with KD is incredible.

Yeah, I'm only 16, but I've been going to KI since 1992. I was barley one year old when I first came to the park. Obviously I don't remember that far back, but I remember when the park was only a few years old under Paramount, and the park was not a giant billboard for their movies. Then the 2000's came, and rides such as TR:TR were installed, and let to deteriorate. Then of course there is IJ:ST, that urban wasteland movie set that sits in a formerly tranquil and gorgeous area of the park and prompted the removal of two wonderful classic rides. IJ:ST is fun, but it would fit much better in Action Zone, where Days of Thunder sits. The eagles and the antique cars did not have to be removed.

Speaking of,

Two flying scooter tubs were seen in the parking lot of Kings Island on October 12th! Could the eagles be making a return to the park in 2008? We'll have pictures. Start the rumor mill!
Towards the middle of the page, and to the right LINK under the thing that says " FLYERS RETURNING TO Kings Island"

While I have been critical of Paramount, I don't hate them. I have just compared Paramount to the previous operators, and Paramount did not live up to what I was used to. The atmosphere that I was used to in the 80's was lost during the Paramount years. And there was not just one reason, but multiple reasons that get added together as to the way I feel. It was about 1993 that I honestly believed that KI was leaps and bounds more enjoyable than CP.

Now when it comes down to PKD, boy that park was VERY poorly operated each time I was there. I was actually shocked that PKI and PKD were owned by the same company. PKD was the one and only park that my wife and I did not enjoy, and actually left early to go to BGE.

Neon- I am not trying to bash you in anyway, but you have only been at the park when it was under Paramount. When I was 13, Kings Island was very different than it is even today, and when Paramount purchased the park, I just graduated from high school. Point being, when I was your age KI was in it's heyday, and it is something that I will never forget.

Speaking of,
Two flying scooter tubs were seen in the parking lot of Kings Island on October 12th! Could the eagles be making a return to the park in 2008? We'll have pictures. Start the rumor mill!
Towards the middle of the page, and to the right LINK under the thing that says " FLYERS RETURNING TO Kings Island"

Are you saying it wasn't a cruel sick joke?

I remember when the park was only a few years old under Paramount, and the park was not a giant billboard for their movies. Then the 2000's came, and rides such as TR:TR were installed, and let to deteriorate.

I have to kindly disagree with you on this point. The first year under Paramount, they put in Top Gun (which had already been in the planning stages but rethemed to the movie). We, the associates, were also forced to wear buttons on our uniforms advertising the upcoming movie "The Coneheads" (and that did a lot to spur movie attendance B) ). The following year, 1994, saw Days of Thunder, 1995 Drop Zone (the original name for Xtreme Skyflyer, name recycled in 1999), 1996 was Outer Limits (which was a show on Paramount-owned Showtime), and then 1999 was DZ, F/O, and the renaming of XS Raceway to Days of Thunder and Amazon Falls to Congo Falls, all Paramount movies. But I'll let you off easy since you do admit you were young at the time! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
...and what exactly will the disappearance of the word "paramount" do for you?

I for one, am so tired of having to sift through stupid comments about how terrible paramount parks were and how they were "cancerous". At times there are some interesting conversations here, but it seems more often than not I end up just closing the site thinking to myself "get a grip". Of course I do realize that 99% of the people making those comments are 13 years old, have not been employed by Paramount Parks and more importantly despite there own ego, really do not know how the senior management worked.

... my frustrated 2 cents....

(and i know my opinion is not alone)

I for One, am not 13, I am 28 years of age. My 1st question is this. Where do you get off making fun

of kids and teenagers? Children should bring you joy, not anger. 2nd of all, I agree with the statements being made against Paramount. I worked for Kings Island during the Paramount years. And it is not a topic of senior management. If you are trying to make yourself sound mature and "responsible" by referring to 13 year olds ego's, you come out sounding more like a 4 year old trying to imitate his parents behavior than being a responsible adult.

my 3 cents worth

m.f.

...and what exactly will the disappearance of the word "paramount" do for you?

I for one, am so tired of having to sift through stupid comments about how terrible paramount parks were and how they were "cancerous". At times there are some interesting conversations here, but it seems more often than not I end up just closing the site thinking to myself "get a grip". Of course I do realize that 99% of the people making those comments are 13 years old, have not been employed by Paramount Parks and more importantly despite there own ego, really do not know how the senior management worked.

... my frustrated 2 cents....

(and i know my opinion is not alone)

I for One, am not 13, I am 28 years of age. My 1st question is this. Where do you get off making fun

of kids and teenagers? Children should bring you joy, not anger. 2nd of all, I agree with the statements being made against Paramount. I worked for Kings Island during the Paramount years. And it is not a topic of senior management. If you are trying to make yourself sound mature and "responsible" by referring to 13 year olds ego's, you come out sounding more like a 4 year old trying to imitate his parents behavior than being a responsible adult.

my 3 cents worth

m.f.

Children only bring me deep seeded anger.

my 3 cents worth

m.f.

Children should be Seen and not Heard.

Either that, or the should be sautee'd and served with a nice Merlot.

I know I was one of those children once, but they still can get on my nerves too especially at theme parks. I wish parks would have every once in a while an adults only time at the park. Maybe stay open an extra 2-3 hours just for us. Hard Rock Park is going to be open til 1am a lot in the summer maybe KI and others should close at like 8 and reopen for adults only til 1am. I would very much enjoy the later hours. How about you?

While I have been critical of Paramount, I don't hate them. I have just compared Paramount to the previous operators, and Paramount did not live up to what I was used to. The atmosphere that I was used to in the 80's was lost during the Paramount years. And there was not just one reason, but multiple reasons that get added together as to the way I feel. It was about 1993 that I honestly believed that KI was leaps and bounds more enjoyable than CP.

The previous operators before Paramount did the most damage to Kings Island. Just think about it more flat rides and shows left the park before Paramount came along. I have been gong to the park from 1986 to this year and have seen the park go down hill ever year.

Yes Paramount Parks did put some bad rides in and take out a lot of themes around the park.

I don't hate Paramount Parks just think they could have done better.

I would agree. For the most part, I don't think the Lindner years were great ones for Kings Island. Don't forget that when Mr. Lindner's company sold Kings Island to Paramount, it retained much of the land surrounding the park, too. Some related and interesting history of Mr. Lindner's company, Great American Financial, can be found here:

http://www.ketupa.net/taft.htm#great

The previous operators before Paramount did the most damage to Kings Island. Just think about it more flat rides and shows left the park before Paramount came along. I have been gong to the park from 1986 to this year and have seen the park go down hill ever year.

Yes Paramount Parks did put some bad rides in and take out a lot of themes around the park.

I don't hate Paramount Parks just think they could have done better.

Errrrr..... Wrong there.

It was not until Paramount that any of the theaters were dark. Can you imagine a theater like International Showplace Dark? You can under Paramount.

But times were different by then. Theaters in other chains were also going dark...Taft/KECO/Lindner did not operate Kings Island from 1992-2006. If they had, who knows what THEY might or might not have done? Operating a park is not a static science. The current audience's wishes and desires must be considered, not just that which worked long ago.

I often wonder if Cedar Fair's apparent strategy of continuing to build large roller coasters in seasonal parks is the wisest one, given what other regional operators are doing. I guess time will tell. . .

But times were different by then. Theaters in other chains were also going dark...Taft/KECO/Lindner did not operate Kings Island from 1992-2006. If they had, who knows what THEY might or might not have done? Operating a park is not a static science. The current audience's wishes and desires must be considered, not just that which worked long ago.

I often wonder if Cedar Fair's apparent strategy of continuing to build large roller coasters in seasonal parks is the wisest one, given what other regional operators are doing. I guess time will tell. . .

Which theaters went dark at Busch? Dollywood? Disney?

We are talking regional seasonal operators here, not Disney. And the other chain that had quite a few theaters go dark was of course Six Flags and Funtime, its predecessor at Kentucky Kingdom, Geauga Lake and Darien Lake.

We all know the issues that Six Flags had.

I really would not put them in the same class of parks until recent years.

Geauga has never been strong on live shows.