Stand Up

ssdd1970

I wouldn't mind if we got another stand up coaster, we need one that would kick Chang's behind! I'm so sick of hearing how awsome that coaster is I've rode it and didn't understand what all the hype was. But anyhow something snaking through the woods near Top Gun we could call it The Mamba :lol:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stand-ups are becoming obsolete... Whatever is out there right now is probably all that you'll see for a long time. The major issue is dispatch time. Take for instance Mantis at CP. They bought 3 trains for it, but they don't use them because even with 2 trains, they stack every single time. Virtually every single time, there's someone who doesn't stand up "straight" so they have to re-unlock the seats, have that person stand up straight, and then lock again. Then they have to re-check every restraint. I'm a huge fan of the stand-up coaster, don't get me wrong. Mantis is one of my favorite rides at CP, and King Cobra is probably my all-time favorite coaster at KI. But I don't see any major improvements in stand-up coaster technology, and therefore I don't think that any parks will ever invest in one again. That is, unless a lot of the current ones are removed, and they become a rare commodity again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think it would be pretty nice if KI removed Thunder Alley and got a B&M standup in it's place. For some reason i imagine it being about 130 feet tall, maybe purple and black (some silver mixed into it) the chain lift would go through the loop. It would also feature a diving loop, inclined loop, zero gravity roll, and a corkscrew or two. It could be called The revenge of King Cobra or something...? Just an idea.

I think it would be pretty nice if KI removed Thunder Alley and got a B&M standup in it's place. For some reason i imagine it being about 130 feet tall, maybe purple and black (some silver mixed into it) the chain lift would go through the loop. It would also feature a diving loop, inclined loop, zero gravity roll, and a corkscrew or two. It could be called The revenge of King Cobra or something...? Just an idea.

Or you could call it The Riddlers Revenge. Just an idea!

My Idea:

Remove Days of Thunder (heck, who's going to pay $8 to ride around in cirlces?),

-Lots of people do, and the price is usually below 8 dollars.

Put Delerium there,

Than Rebiuld the Cobra.

-King Cobra is gone dude, the track was hauled off some time ago.

I'll say it before interpreter does :P ...... you can rides its nearly identical twin up in Canada's Wonderland or it's cousin down at Kings Dominion.

Someone told me that Bavarian Beetle used to have a problem valleying when it was raining. Anyone know if that's true?

I mean, someone told me that BB had a problem valleying after a certain hill, but only when the weather was inclement.

I like stand-ups. King Kobra was pretty good, but I really like the Mantis.

And valleying is just what it sounds like...the coaster isn't going fast enough to get up the next hill, so it rolls backwards (assuming there no anti-rollbacks) and goes up and down and up and down until it slowly comes to a stop...down in the valley, the valley so low... Son of Beast often valleyed in its early days...and Racer has been known to do it, too. Haven't heard that that was a problem on Bavarian Beetle, or on other Galaxi coasters....

I know WildCat at CP has anti-rollbacks on several of it's hills, and I'm sure other of the Schwarzkopf Wildcat designs do as well. I would assume it had/has a valleying problem, and I would venture to guess it's because of the single-car trains, as they are lighter than longer trains.

And to whomever has suggested it further up:

I wold hate to see a launched stand-up coaster. Take the force on your legs and body produced by a normal stand-up, and add a launch sequence to that. Not fun - at least in theory.

As mentioned earlier, stand-ups are a gimmick at best.

Many people do not enjoy them and wait times can be terrible due to loading & unloading (which is the exact reason why CP has discontinued the use of Mantis' third train.

These would be two of the bigger reasons that no new stand-ups have been made in just under 10 years.

I know WildCat at CP has anti-rollbacks on several of it's hills, and I'm sure other of the Schwarzkopf Wildcat designs do as well. I would assume it had/has a valleying problem, and I would venture to guess it's because of the single-car trains, as they are lighter than longer trains.

And to whomever has suggested it further up:

I wold hate to see a launched stand-up coaster. Take the force on your legs and body produced by a normal stand-up, and add a launch sequence to that. Not fun - at least in theory.

"In theory," your theory is somewhat ridiculous. The forces on your legs that normally cause the most pain on stand-ups are due to strong vertical g's. In the case of a launch sequence the forces are pushing you forward, not down. So that really wouldn't be much different than a sit-down launch. The problem would be people's feet not being held forward, so during the launch I bet a lot of legs would fly backward and possibly hit something. I'm willing to bet that's why we've never seen a launched stand-up coaster.