Stand Up

ssdd1970

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"In theory," your theory is somewhat ridiculous. The forces on your legs that normally cause the most pain on stand-ups are due to strong vertical g's. In the case of a launch sequence the forces are pushing you forward, not down. So that really wouldn't be much different than a sit-down launch. The problem would be people's feet not being held forward, so during the launch I bet a lot of legs would fly backward and possibly hit something. I'm willing to bet that's why we've never seen a launched stand-up coaster.

Yes, that may be, but once the launched train hits the upward slant into the hill, that's when the intense force on the legs would probably kick in. But you're probably right about the flying legs. :lol:

I have found myself changing over the last few years. I use to love to ride any ride you could throw at me. Now its like its not so appealing to me anymore. I find myself wanting to people watch and take in the atmosphere. Walk around and shop. I do like to ride the rides still but wont wait over 20 minutes for any ride. I love to go to star bucks and sit out in front at one of those little cafe tables and just watch. I think I am getting old. :(

I feel the same way sometimes, and I am only 19. I sit at those cafe tables on International Street alot, unlike when I was younger and wouldn't waste a minute out of a line or off of a ride. But I like it this way because I am discovering new joys in Kings Island that I didn't realize were there when I was younger.

MY first impresson of stand ups when i rode King Cobra was, "Hey i could really enjoy these."

After Chang-"Man that was so extreme lets go again!"

Mantis after the 5th Time-"WHY WHY WHY!?!!?!"

But i am still a fond beleiver that stand ups are very fun mainly due to my experience on Chang.

I love stand up. I really enjoy watching reruns "Premium Blend" with David Allen Greir during the day on Comedy Central when I get the time and who could ever forget Rodney Dangerfield, the greatest stand up of all time?

-King Maple dodging the tomatoes coming towards the stage.

• 1 month later...
If we got a stand up i would cry...i hate stand up coasters...they are terrible and they hurt your groin(if you are a guy).

The only one that ever hurt my groin was Chang, which I refuse to ride again because of this.

I never experienced any problems on King Cobra, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind having King Cobra come back at KI; but if they were to do a stand-up one I love to see it be like Vortex at Carowinds.

The one thing I liked about KC was that the seats didn't seem to MOVE and they locked for once. One time when I rode Vortex at Carowinds I got a seat that wouldn't lock and it wasn't set to my standing height. I screamed for them to stop the ride because my seat was bouncing up and down and they wouldn't stop it! It finally locked going down the first hill and locked where I think it was at its peak in how high it goes up and I was sitting on the bicyle seat and hanging on for dear life.

I am not a huge fan of Mantis and Vortex at those two parks because I never get a locking seat, but it hasn't stopped me from riding them! ;)

• 1 month later...