Eiffel Tower Christmas Tree Lights

Bert

Does anyone know if KI will put the white lights back on the Eiffel Tower to make it look like a Christmas Tree, with a big star at the top? I remember that being a "landmark" along I-71 at Kings Island. It seems to me that they stopped decorating the Tower for several years. Am I right or wrong? Thanks for your comments.

Only time will tell. Depends on how much the upcharge will be for HH. Remember when FearFest first started it was an extra charge. Even as an employee of the park, I had to pay to enjoy FF as a guest in 2000. I wonder why Paramount decided to include FF with park admission?

Did Paramount feel they weren't getting enough people through the gates for FF with an upcharge at Kings Island? Also something to note, Wonderland's FF has always been an upcharge as well. I believe KI's and KD's were the only two that went to the included with park admission.

In my opinion, the upcharge for FF/Haunt is a gamble. If the weather is good, it will be hugely successful. Otherwise, no one will pay to be out in the cold/rain/snow, etc...... With the pass, I would take my chances if the weather was questionable because leaving was no big deal if it rained or was too cold, but if I had to pay, I would be more careful...

The key behind the Upcharge would seem to be keeping the event included with your season pass.

Make no mistake, season pass holders are a necessary evil for most parks.

They provide an initial infusion of cash at the beginning of any season and then tend to be a drain on the parks (as they essentially spend very little in the parks) through the season.

But, as noted before they will come and will spend some - even in inclimate weather.

What led to the failed rerun?

I think it was just low attendance. If it [Winterfest] ended in 1992, and was revived in 2005, that was about 13 years. I think, in 13 years, people found other interests, and younger people, now young adults, didn't really know what it was and how much fun it was and probably just didn't care. They were still interested in rides. Winterfest seemed to bring a different group of folks, maybe a little older. I enjoyed the Christmas shops and I remember some local crafts people were allowed to "set up shop" in some of the regular shops. The ice rink in the fountain area on International Street was wonderful. I remember entire families there, lots of room to skate - and fall down. It's a good memory for me. The best thing about that is that nobody can take away memories. They are there forever.

QUOTE(ssdd1970 @ Nov 10 2007, 03:29 PM) *

I think it was just low attendance. If it [Winterfest] ended in 1992, and was revived in 2005, that was about 13 years. I think, in 13 years, people found other interests, and younger people, now young adults, didn't really know what it was and how much fun it was and probably just didn't care. They were still interested in rides. Winterfest seemed to bring a different group of folks, maybe a little older. I enjoyed the Christmas shops and I remember some local crafts people were allowed to "set up shop" in some of the regular shops. The ice rink in the fountain area on International Street was wonderful. I remember entire families there, lots of room to skate - and fall down. It's a good memory for me. The best thing about that is that nobody can take away memories. They are there forever.

Oops, I think I replied twice. Sorry.

I went to Winterfest in 2005 I thought it was great. But what the heck i was spending my parents $$$

Yeah, but how much of your parents' money did you get to spend once inside Winterfest? Seems these days, both Cedar Fair and Six Flags seem more concerned with per caps than with gate admission. There's money in them thar per caps.

I attended Winterfest in 2005 and was the probably the best family experience we have ever had. I have never seen the park more beautiful and when they did the show in the front to turn the lights on, WOW, it was like chills (not from the cold) came over us. The parade was beyond better than any we have been to around the area, and the show in the Theater was great. It was absolutely the best Christmas Experience a family could attend, and I hate to see that it failed. Kudos goes out to whoever planned it out and put it on. Winterfest was one thing that made Kings Island stand way out in front of the competition for my family and all the children that went with us still talk about it to this day, wishing it would come back.

I still think alot of the reason for its failure was the weather. The winter was extremely cold that year early in the season, the first night we went was the day after Thanksgiving and it was in the low teens that night, even though they were all cold they loved it. After that night, it seemed it rained almost every weekend after that along with extremely low temperatures.

And yet, Charlotte had some of the best weather one could expect, and the results, though somewhat better, were still not encouraging. I think it would have taken time to build back up an audience for the event.

I still can't believe that when it snowed in Cinci, the event was cancelled. The constant overhyping and original strategy of selling tickets good only for a specific night also did not help.

Your right there, I couldn't understand having to buy tickets for a specific day. If it had been a season pass event, it would have probably done alot better. You know people just spend money during the holidays and sometimes on stupid stuff. I know we spent more money in there for winterfest, then we do going for a day on the season passes, but it was worth it.

A lot of the issues that Winterfest 2005 had would have been resolved in time.

When Winterfest first debuted, it was not flawless. It took a few years to work out the bugs and make everything run seemlessly. By the time Paramount took over and canceled the event, it ran on auto pilot and made money hand over fist.

I think a much scaled down Winterfest could fly. I've often thought that, over the winter, if they just had some shops set up, a couple places to eat, and some Christmas lights strung up, it would be worth it for me to take a trip there. It seems like such a loooong winter, that I would just like to see the park once in the off-season.

Guest kwindshawne

I miss it. I didn't make it in 2005, but went in the early years. There is absolutely nothing to do in Ohio in the winter, and it helped break up the boredom that comes with this. I would like to see it again myself. The atmosphere was magical for me.

I went to Winterfest in 2005 I thought it was great. But what the heck i was spending my parents $$$$$$

I see that you are from Lebanon OH. That's cool. I'm also from Lebanon OH (now in Cincinnati), but when we lived in Lebanon, my son worked at KI. He posted the topic in this forum ("Former Employee"). I'm guessing you're still young, but it's fun talking to you. Thanks for reading my post.

I miss it. I didn't make it in 2005, but went in the early years. There is absolutely nothing to do in Ohio in the winter, and it helped break up the boredom that comes with this. I would like to see it again myself. The atmosphere was magical for me.

Do you remember the "local" craftsmen in the shops? Did you ice skate? Winterfest (in the earlier years) was the first time I ever had Amaretto in my hot chocolate. I remember that a small cup was $2.50. But, mmmmm, it was good (if you like hot chocolate. . .and amaretto) ! ! You're right, there isn't much to do around here, except the Cincinnati Zoo - Christmas lights are pretty. But, what there is, is so expensive, that it takes all the fun out of doing anything. Unless, of course, you are wealthy. And I'm not. So, I stay home a lot. hahaha. Bye now.

Guest kwindshawne

Do you remember the "local" craftsmen in the shops? Did you ice skate? Winterfest (in the earlier years) was the first time I ever had Amaretto in my hot chocolate. I remember that a small cup was $2.50. But, mmmmm, it was good (if you like hot chocolate. . .and amaretto) ! ! You're right, there isn't much to do around here, except the Cincinnati Zoo - Christmas lights are pretty. But, what there is, is so expensive, that it takes all the fun out of doing anything. Unless, of course, you are wealthy. And I'm not. So, I stay home a lot. hahaha. Bye now.

Yeah..that's when all that specialized coffee and stuff started I am guessing. I remember freezing my *** off too. I am in the dayton area which has even less to offer than cincy.....so yeah, I stay at home alot in the winter as well.

I really wish they would bring it back just one more time. I didn't ice skate at winterfest-gave that up after slipping when I was young and cracking my tail bone. I watched, went in the shops, and rode the carousel...it was nice just to be in the atmosphere of it all.