LEAVE IT BE!

ssdd1970

And in order to maintain that repeat business, the park must continually adapt and change to meet the demands of their customers. Just look at grocery stores, and the changes that have been sweeping across the Kroger prototype in the last ten years. In order for businesses to remain viable, they have to continuously adapt to what their clients want. And that might mean that some of the older attractions that don`t receive high attendance counts anymore might be better suited to be removed and replaced with a new attraction that will help get bodies through the gates.

True, but think about how unique an amusement park is. You can go to Kings Island and still experience things built in '72 (and all the years in between). You can't go to a Chevy dealership and test drive a '75 Chevy. When I go to Kings Island, as you walk around different parts of the park, its like walking through a different era as you look at different things. Its neat to ride the new stuff like Firehawk. I also think its kind of fascinating to think about The Racers or Viking Fury and how they were the 'hot thing' when they were built (Sorry, I had to throw VF in there. For some reason, even though there's not much left, I'm a little partial to Oktoberfest).

I always think its a little sad when you look at the pains they went to on the older rides. All-wood, covered queues. Lots of little ornamentation. Heck, even on Congo Falls they went to the trouble of making a design out of the wood that holds up the wooden hand railing. The new rides are awesome, but then they're just thrown down with some pavement and an aluminum handrail.

I've also noticed with the rides built, say pre-Vortex, (although AE is like this) that the ride itself is not visible from the queue. I think that with the older rides they were much better at building in some "suspense" before the ride, and I think it makes a difference (yes, The Racers are visible from the park, but think about when you're getting ready to get on; you really can't see the circuit). I thought about it this summer in the burning heat while I stood in line for Firehawk. There is no real suspense. I honestly don't think The Beast would be what it is without that element of suspense. I also think people's opinion of SOB would be completely different if it had it.