Why do you visit Kings Island?

BoddaH1994

I think many here will find the reasons for going back to Kings Island change as one gets older. For a time, at least, the park seemed to forget that, though not to the extreme that the old management at Six Flags did. Ignoring any target demographic to focus with a laser beam on another is a serious mistake in this business...

I think many here will find the reasons for going back to Kings Island change as one gets older. For a time, at least, the park seemed to forget that, though not to the extreme that the old management at Six Flags did. Ignoring any target demographic to focus with a laser beam on another is a serious mistake in this business...

Depending on which business you are in. Abrcombie has a certain age gap that they go after and I don't see them in any trouble.

I agree that many reasons change for going to KI as folks get older. My grandmother has a great time just going to watch the rides, people watch, watch the shows, and eating some funnel cake. Folks who have kids go and ride the rides with their kids or watch them have the time of their lives.

I think KI has a pretty decent set of attractions to cater to different groups. By the way, I hear from numerous sources that Nick Parade will be back next year.

Funny you should pick Abercrombie! Years ago, they were a hunting focused company that sold gear targeted to big game hunters! They are in a trendy fashion based business...as years pass, they may well find the younger generation then will consider them to be their fathers' and mothers' clothing company.

See: The Gap.

Moral: Times change, and businesses that don't change with them often go under. Too much change can cause the same thing. There's the rub!

Funny you should pick Abercrombie! Years ago, they were a hunting focused company that sold gear targeted to big game hunters! They are in a trendy fashion based business...as years pass, they may well find the younger generation then will consider them to be their fathers' and mothers' clothing company.

Moral: Times change, and businesses that don't change with them often go under. Too much change can cause the same thing. There's the rub!

Exactly, and that's why you don't see many rides taken out for new ones. Yes, for some of us we wish that some of the older attractions (for me it's the antique cars) were still there, but that is just part of change.

Kohl's is another example of change. It was a grocery store, then a kind of wal-mart blend that sold firearms, and then moved to department stores.

You have to do what you think is best for your company, and right now it seems like big or unique coasters are the thing to do.

You have to do what you think is best for your company, and right now it seems like big or unique coasters are the thing to do.

Actually, thats really not the trend taking place in the industry, the industry as a whole is more concerned with focusing on "family entertainment". The days of Bigger, Longer, Faster are on hiatus, although pure thrillseekers are keeping it alive, and the focus always changes. Just like technology, trends are quickly outdated, so we shall see!

Actually, thats really not the trend taking place in the industry, the industry as a whole is more concerned with focusing on "family entertainment". The days of Bigger, Longer, Faster are on hiatus, although pure thrillseekers are keeping it alive, and the focus always changes. Just like technology, trends are quickly outdated, so we shall see!

So all the new rollercoasters that have been built in the past 5-10 years, plus all the new ones being built are considered family entertainment? Sweet! Notice also that Nick Parade went bye-bye this year but Firehawk came to the park. Now Nick Parade will be back next year, but no new coaster. In 2009 will it be new coaster, but no Nick Parade? Time will tell.

Environment. It's my chance to spend real fun and quality time with my children without my job, housework, homework, video games, etc. I love rides, coasters and everything else, but my time with them at KI always reminds me that my time with them is what's REALLY important.

I second that. Reasons certainly do change as you get older. As a kid/teen, it was mainly the coasters and other rides. Now that I'm a dad, most of my time is spent in Nick U or BB in the kids area. And I'm sure that as she gets older, it will go back to coasters and other rides. Plus, she loves the shows, especially Endless Summer On Ice this year. On most of our visits this year, we would start in BB, drive down to the main gate (she would usually fall asleep on this short drive and we would sit in the parking lot to let her take a nap), go to the last show of Endless Summer, go to Nick U and end it with fireworks. Perfect day.

As for the comment on big and unique coasters being the way to go, I've got to agree with Cory Butcher. This was the case a few years ago (just look at MF, SOB, TTD, Kinda Ka) but not so much now. The one thing that Paramount Parks discovered is that big coasters does not equal big crowds. The years they did better were years that they put in more family oriented attractions, ie Nick and Waterworks expansion. This is most likely due to the makeup of KI attendees, a big chunk of which are families with season passes. This may not hold true for the Roller Coast up north, as their season pass numbers are way lower. It will be interesting to see the numbers if the rumored 2009 KI attraction is true, and how the attendance will go that year. We shall see...

I am a little disappointed that the poll didn't make my true vote an option: "All of the above EXCEPT the food", based on this past year! <_<

• 2 weeks later...
This is a definite 'cup of tea' question, but why do you visit Kings Island (time and time again in some cases)? For me, it's a combination of all of the above.

When I'm at an Amusement Park, I feel at home.

I feel more safe in a Roller Coaster Seat then in my Bed.

When I'm at my actual home I ask myself why I'm not at an Amusement Park.

I love the sound of cars rushing by.

I simply can't live without Amusement Parks.

• 2 weeks later...

All of the above. I love the coasters and rides first. But I also the atmosphere - even I'm just walking around. And I also enjoy the shows.

The food I like least at KI. There are certain items like the blueberry ice cream that are great. But the overall food service can use some major improvement.

Best regards,

Charles