Employees Take On CF

guy1115

We have been talking for months about what we like and don't like now that CF has purchased the Paramount Parks chain as guests. What I am curious about is what present employees think of the park now that it has changed over. Myself, I worked at the park with 13 seasons until Mid October this year. I thought that the changes that CF brought were horrible to morale at the park. Taking away all but 4 comp tickets, couldn't purchase more at a discount, in my position a 20% pay cut, and an overall staff reduction so we were forced to do more while not being payed at the same level as previous. Just curious to other employee views. Are you going back Why or Why Not?

I am going to work in the KI games department for 2008 season. There are alot of +'s and -'s about working there. Overall I'm glad I am in that department, and it was a fun season.

+It's a job at a theme park!

+You meet many people

+Park Benefits

+It's easy

-The water we are given is absolute CRAP!!!! It has so much nasty stuff in it, I hate it.

-Breaks can either be long or short

-Sometimes it can get boring

But I have heard ALOT about crap that CF has brought, including pay deductions, rules, and not as many or as great benefits.

Full timers dont really have it much better than the seasonal staff. More stress for a couple dollars more and health benefits.

KI_Man, if you dont like the water, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE FOR IT! Also, if you are a minor, you have at least a 30 minute break. Over 18 technically does not require a break. So even if you get a short break, I would be happy. They dont have to give it to you.

I enjoyed my time spent at the park as a technician/ride op. Its more about who you are around, and not so much of what you do. Thats what I thought.

I am going to work in the KI games department for 2008 season. There are alot of +'s and -'s about working there. Overall I'm glad I am in that department, and it was a fun season.

+It's a job at a theme park!

+You meet many people

+Park Benefits

+It's easy

-The water we are given is absolute CRAP!!!! It has so much nasty stuff in it, I hate it.

-Breaks can either be long or short

-Sometimes it can get boring

But I have heard ALOT about crap that CF has brought, including pay deductions, rules, and not as many or as great benefits.

Not going to be a theme park for long.....

Well you are right about the full timers....60+ hour mandatory weeks May-November; Vacation only certain months of the year. You know I loved my job....that's why I was there 12 season, but not enough to be treated like crap. At least under the Paramount days, I received Bonus, praise, felt like I was part of the team, oh and praise!

KI_Man, if you dont like the water, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE FOR IT! Also, if you are a minor, you have at least a 30 minute break. Over 18 technically does not require a break. So even if you get a short break, I would be happy. They dont have to give it to you.

I can't go somewhere else for it, even if it is a few feet away. I need to stay at the game unless I call for a supervisor to take over everytime I get thirsty.

Well, they are running business. What do you expect? They aren't UNICEF.

Really? You don't say....I don't think that was really necessary. I am asking for the opinions of the associates. And I wonder how you would feel if after 11 years someone looked at you and said that you weren't worth the $$ they were paying you.

Well, they are running business. What do you expect? They aren't UNICEF.

Yes, they are....however that doesn't mean you treat your associates like crap though. I have many friends who worked at the Park this season. One of those has been at the Park for 12 years, was full time in Resale Loss Prevention. The other has only been there for 4 years and is a Seasonal Ops manager in Merch. Both echoed similiar stories to guy1115. Probably explains why staffing levels were at an all time LOW this season. KI lost SO many GOOD people this year, thanks to Cedar Fair and the ****ty attitude they bring to the employees. Many of these people had been with the Park upwards of 20 years. Truly sad.

- Todd

• Like 1

Lets just say im not returning next season; It was sooo crapy this year. I got treated like crap, and one thing I hated this season i was walking out of the park after closing my station and i decided to walk with friends out to our cars and on the way I complain a little about how Cedar Fair ruined my job and one dude stops me and was like WELL WE'RE NOT PARAMOUNT. I was like wtf dude? so Im glad to say i wont be returning next year

Guest kwindshawne

I have no knowledge of working for paramount since this was my first year, but I have no complaints. We were thanked nightly for our work and treated well. My only complaint is not having water at your area during the summer months, but hey, whatever. Now if you want to see an employer treat their employees like ****, you should work for my boss at my regular job......

Is it April yet?

Like I said earlier, it depends who you work with. When I worked SOB/GUN in 02, my supervisors couldnt give 3 empty Mountain Dew bottles on how we felt, but when I went to TRTR in 03, I had the best time because our sups went out of the way to make sure we were happy. Its all about your co-workers.

KI_man, I know how things work in the park. I worked in rides and in maintenance. I drank from the same water jugs (on occasion) that you guys did. All you have to do is in the morning, go to a place that has pretty decent water and fill your jug up there. Or even better, bring your own water bottle filled with water. Its not that hard.

Guest kwindshawne
Like I said earlier, it depends who you work with. When I worked SOB/GUN in 02, my supervisors couldnt give 3 empty Mountain Dew bottles on how we felt, but when I went to TRTR in 03, I had the best time because our sups went out of the way to make sure we were happy. Its all about your co-workers.

KI_man, I know how things work in the park. I worked in rides and in maintenance. I drank from the same water jugs (on occasion) that you guys did. All you have to do is in the morning, go to a place that has pretty decent water and fill your jug up there. Or even better, bring your own water bottle filled with water. Its not that hard.

You're not allowed to bring a water bottle, thats the point. If you want a drink, you go to an area not visible to guests..that is the only rule that made no sense to me....

Guest kwindshawne
When did that change? Of course maintenance could bring in pretty much anything they wanted, but thats besides the point. How can they tell you you cant bring in a water bottle?

Beats me. We did it for about 3 weeks and were told we couldn't do it anymore. You can go "behind the scenes" and drink whenever, but with thousands coming through at once, yeah right.

Like I said, that was the only rule I have issue with. We're people, not camels.

Granted, I work for Cox Ohio Publishing and not Cedar Fair, but I've found them to be more than accommodating for running this site. I was really worried about how they'd feel about KIC when they took over, but the company as a whole, and some very good-hearted individuals within, have really taken us under their wing.

Anyone that believed that things would not change with the new ownership were only fooling themselves.

Everyone hates change. I've seen it too often, not only with working environments changing due to new ownership, but things changing due to new leaders and/ or new company directions.

Does it pi$$ you off, sure. But guess what? CF has been doing this for a very long time, and there is nothing that is going to change their mind now, especially if people just want to throw attitude around without giving good reason. CF has staffed CP for YEARS with the same rules/ regulations. And that was without having a major population to draw from. Yet they still seem to get along every year.

So for those former/ current employees, you have two choices:

1) Deal with it and quit whining.

-or-

2) Move on to another job.

Just like McDonald's or Wal-Mart, there is always going to be somebody to take your place.

But my suggestion: Stick it out. Only because, as an employer that sits through numerous interviews, when I see that someone worked at a seasonal attraction like KI I had more respect for them. Your future boss/ employer went through the same crap that you are going through now, but if you have the will to stick it out, it shows alot about your personality.

But leaving one minimum paying job like KI for another minimum paying job, and the reasoning being that: "The water sucked" or "They only gave us 4 passes/ year" is a major turnoff.

• Like 1

Your future boss/ employer went through the same crap that you are going through now, but if you have the will to stick it out, it shows alot about your personality.

So if you admit that they ARE going through "crap" why is it whining to point it out? Isn't that how things get changed?

I think there must be some truth to what is being said by some of the employees, and here is why:

I only get to the park for about 4-5 visits a season, but even then I do remember certain employees that I see year to year. This year I didn't see a certain employee and asked another employee where she was, here is what I was told: "Oh, she quit". The employee went on to say that "Cedar Fair has lost a lot of their good employees this year because of how they are treating us". (The employee didn't sound bitter, just sad.) The employee that I asked about was not a kid, and was so good at their job that even I, as an out-of-state 4-5 times a year visitor noticed her.

Everytime I read on here that a former Paramount employee has quit I wonder why.

• Like 1

But my suggestion: Stick it out. Only because, as an employer that sits through numerous interviews, when I see that someone worked at a seasonal attraction like KI I had more respect for them. Your future boss/ employer went through the same crap that you are going through now, but if you have the will to stick it out, it shows alot about your personality.

I'm just going to add onto this a bit. I worked at Cedar Point this summer (and loved it-and got the same benefits everyone here is complaining about. Though, we could drink water wherever. I find the water thing at KI hard to believe), and I plan on returning next summer.

Anywho...Just that single season of Cedar Point on my job applications has helped me tremendously. When I came back to school this fall, I needed a job. Every single place I had an interview, the conversation immediately went to CP as soon as they saw it on my application. It's a great conversation-starter, it's interesting to talk about, and it makes you more comfortable and 'yourself' in your interview since you're talking about something you enjoy. That job at CP being on my application is one of the reasons I was hired at my current job...A Steak n Shake of all places. (No, not the most 'glorious' job, but it's a job. And the point is, it's completely unrelated to CP, yet that's basically all my interview revolved around). So, in reality, an amusement park job is going to help you in some way in almost any job you apply for.

• Like 1

Don't forget that in the last years Paramount owned the park, they basically tried to break even each season. CBS did not have a great interest in the parks. Breaking even every year is no way to run a business. I'm sure CF would keep everyone happy all the time if they could, but being a business and making money comes first. Sure there is a line you have to draw at some point, but most of the changes have just been growing pains.

As far as respect goes. It can take a while to build a group of good leaders anywhere. Some of that is up to CF, but some it is up to whoever decides to work there. If more good leader work there, the better the overall respect and customer service will be.

im going back next year. i do agree that many things about this year were worth complaining about.. but any job will have that. im not going back for the job, im going back for the relationships i've built through the job.

but alot of the friends i made that WERE in the park last year, are not coming back, but i can't speak for them, i wasnt there.

• Like 1