Employees Take On CF

guy1115

So if you admit that they ARE going through "crap" why is it whining to point it out? Isn't that how things get changed?

With any minimum wage paying job or seasonal job there is a huge amount of pride that needs to be swallowed. That is why it is minimum wage. Everyone has been there at one time. And if you can deal with it on a day-in, day-out basis that says alot about your personality. Sure it $ucks, but you have to do what you have to do to make ends meet and get a little change in your pocket.

All whining on a message board shows is that some did not have the courage to find out why CF makes the decisions that they have, or it would have been mentioned.

Employers despise whiners. Instead of whining about it on the internet, bring up your concerns to your boss face to face behind closed doors. Let them understand your point of view, and you can also understand theirs. Chances are, you both will come to a happy medium. And if not, at least you had the testicular fortitude to bring it up face to face. That is how things get changed.

I agree Tggr. My first job was a dishwasher at a Mexican restaurant. Not the most glorious job, but my co-workers (who I became friends with)and I took great pride in what we did. And so, in doing that, I was moved up three different times to two other jobs and later a supervisor position in one of those jobs as a result. If an employer or manager sees that you are doing the lowliest of jobs with pride, it really means something most of the time. At that time, minimum wage was something like 3 dollars and change. I lived on my own and had just enough to chip in with my roommates on a Coors party ball. Good times!

• Like 1

So if you admit that they ARE going through "crap" why is it whining to point it out? Isn't that how things get changed?

With any minimum wage paying job or seasonal job there is a huge amount of pride that needs to be swallowed. That is why it is minimum wage. Everyone has been there at one time. And if you can deal with it on a day-in, day-out basis that says alot about your personality. Sure it $ucks, but you have to do what you have to do to make ends meet and get a little change in your pocket.

All whining on a message board shows is that some did not have the courage to find out why CF makes the decisions that they have, or it would have been mentioned.

Employers despise whiners. Instead of whining about it on the internet, bring up your concerns to your boss face to face behind closed doors. Let them understand your point of view, and you can also understand theirs. Chances are, you both will come to a happy medium. And if not, at least you had the testicular fortitude to bring it up face to face. That is how things get changed.

First off - I didn't start this to whine. I was asking what other associates view on the current park are. That's it. I wasn't some joe flipping burgers, or working a game, which are all necessary jobs at the park. I was someone who made a good deal of decisions that affected each and every one of you that have visited the park. There is a reason that I am not going too in-depth. I still respect and love the job I had at the park. If you don't think I was man enough to sit down with my boss and try to fix some of the problems then you don't understand why I went back this season and gave it another shot. We tried over and over to fix the problems....he understood why I was upset and agreed that I deserved better. It is all above his head. I am now done with this. I asked a honest question to people and I am now getting bashed about being some whinning kid that just wants more money. It is a lot more than that. I am 33 years old and I just want some darn respect. If that is too much for someone to ask then I guess I am that whinning kid.

I worked in the park for 16 years, 1989 - 2004. When the park changed ownership to Paramount, there were growing pains then too. The first two years were rough, as Paramount had no experience in the park industry. Things did eventually get better for the associates, but it took some time.

Now as for CF's takeover, I have mainly heard negative things from my friends/former coworkers. In fact, one of the reasons we got season passes this year was because the number of tickets associates were given this year was cut down to 4, and we just didn't feel right trying to hit my friends up for half of their annual allotment (but with the # of times we ended up going, it was a good thing we got the passes)! Many of my friends have moved on in the past year, and these were people that had been in the park for many, many years as I was.

Hearing about Guy1115's paycut from last year to this, I would have been extremely upset if this had happened to me. I realize that they had to make adjustments to payscales to align with what people in comparable positions in their other parks make, but still I would have been seriously PO'd. This kind of goes along with the job title changes this year also, ie PP Managers are now CF Supervisors and such. I know in 1999, PP did a Comprehensive Position Questionnaire for the full time employees, which was basically a study that compared the payscales of each full time position to comparable positions industry-wide. This resulted in pay increases for quite a few people at PKI, which were gradually increased over the next 2-3 years to meet industry averages. And of course some people were already at the top of their industry-wide range. Of course this didn't apply to the seasonal associates, but I wonder if CF has ever done this for their parks.

Looking at the situation now, I'm glad my position was eliminated in 2004 (even though I wasn't at the time of course, having been there so long). It has allowed me to get a Monday through Friday, 8:15 - 5:00 job, with weekends off. Now that I have a daughter, I can't even imagine working there now with the demands that CF has placed on it's KI employees. I enjoy not having to work nights and weekends anymore!

Woohoo! 100 posts! I'm on my way to being a SUPERSTAR!!!

• Like 1

I think the problem lies in the management training. I know there are some excellent managers but I felt like alot of them were just happy for their job title and not the job.

I have met some crappy managers @KI that didnt care a thing about the associates. If you show an associate they are worth something and they are important to the company they will show up every day with a smile.

Its all about recognition and rewards. If your in food department then a good manager might reward you with a meal occasionally. If your in another department, well funcentive rewards are gone so I dont know how to help you.

If your manager wasnt so good then your summer was probably miserable and it sucks to be you.

• Like 1

I think your all missing really what's going on here. Bottom line CF is owned by Stock holders who want to make money off there stock, there opinions are the only ones that matter. I work for a company very much like it. The economy is going down hill in a big hurry, and I bet we see 5 dollar gas next summer. If anything I could see CF scaling back even more, it's busness.

Your future boss/ employer went through the same crap that you are going through now, but if you have the will to stick it out, it shows alot about your personality.

I think there must be some truth to what is being said by some of the employees, and here is why:

I only get to the park for about 4-5 visits a season, but even then I do remember certain employees that I see year to year. This year I didn't see a certain employee and asked another employee where she was, here is what I was told: "Oh, she quit". The employee went on to say that "Cedar Fair has lost a lot of their good employees this year because of how they are treating us". (The employee didn't sound bitter, just sad.) The employee that I asked about was not a kid, and was so good at their job that even I, as an out-of-state 4-5 times a year visitor noticed her.

Everytime I read on here that a former Paramount employee has quit I wonder why.

I attended a "going-away" party for a former KI employee this spring. At this party was about 40 to 50 current and former KI workers, about 90% who were or are full-time associates. Many had been "let go" when Cedar Fair took over, and many other quit after CF bought KI. I heard horrible reviews of the new CF management. What was really sad is that many of the people who were let go by CF had been with KI for 20 plus years. The new CF management is clearly a "good ol' boys" club, and female upper level management was hit hard when CF took over. In my 12 years with KI, we atteneded several amusement industry trade shows every year, and would see the CF people all the time. On many occassions they would join the KI/Paramount group for evening get togethers. We heard many times from them how tough it was to work for CF. They had very outdated systems for retail and food. Some of the employees called Cedar Point "Cedar Prison". It was quite eye-opening to hear from some of the upper management folks how bad thing were. Sounds like some of that has not changed, and has now made it's way to KI.

As with any aquisition, not all employees will be happy. Just sounds to me like the KI transition has not gone well for many employees.

• Like 1

Guest kwindshawne
I find it hard to believe that they told you you couldn't drink water at your work station? What department did you work in? I even read in the associate handbook that can be found online that the only thing your allowed to drink at your station is water.

Sorry, I cannot say-I am not one to bash an employer, current or past on a public forum. Just take my word for it..not all departments can have a water bottle next to their work station. I think it is unnatural for someone standing in 100 degree heat to not have a water bottle next to them, who cares how it looks.

Other than that issue, I have no problems "paying my dues" to minimum wage. Hell, I'm 42 years old..this was a fun job for me.

I have no knowledge of working for paramount since this was my first year, but I have no complaints. We were thanked nightly for our work and treated well. My only complaint is not having water at your area during the summer months, but hey, whatever. Now if you want to see an employer treat their employees like ****, you should work for my boss at my regular job......

Is it April yet?

Yeah I know what you are saying there. No matter where you end up working in life it is never going to be perfect. Just because Kings Island is a fun place to go to ride rides doesnt mean it is always going to be a fun place to work. If you work there, it is like any other place of employment, it is what it is ( work ).

I was really optimistic about Cedar Fair owning the parks.After one complete season under their ownership, all i can say is cedair fair is a terrible company that will do nothing but hurt the park in the coming years. My department went to crap and i know many who feel the same. I can also say that i heard more guest complaints this year than the 05 and 06 season combined. I cant blame them either the management sucks now.

Those cool Crew of Excellence Flag award thingies were a great way to prove that Ecology was one of the best departments in the park in terms of maintaining a clean park.

Last year (2006), we got seven Flags of Excellence Crew Awards and had the general managers of Cedar Fair tell us we were the best Eco team out of ALL of the parks they own. :D

This year, we got two.

Even after no incentives, no meal tickets, even after busting our butts during the Haunt with crowds doubling every weekend, we still kicked more ass than any other CF park. And no thanks whatsoever from upper management. Just a "we think you could be doing better" mindset.

.....this coming from the owners of a "flagship" park that, as many times as my friends and I have gone to, can't empty one single trash can or clean one single toilet or sink.

• Like 1

And no thanks whatsoever from upper management. Just a "we think you could be doing better" mindset.

Well that is unfortunately how the real world works.

Some employers may give incentives for going above and beyond the call of duty, while others expect you to do your job to the best of your ability because that is what you are paid for.

And no thanks whatsoever from upper management. Just a "we think you could be doing better" mindset.

Some employers may give incentives for going above and beyond the call of duty, while others expect you to do your job to the best of your ability because that is what you are paid for.

Sometimes just a simple "Thank you" is all you need.

• Like 1

Sometimes just a simple "Thank you" is all you need.

That's it! Treating someone like they are important to the success of your company.

• Like 1

Guest kwindshawne

That is one lesson most companies I have worked for have forgotten. My full time job is that way..regardless of whatever good we do, all we hear is how incompetent we are and how we didn't make enough money. And health care to boot! I mean, health care is not about money. With all the complaints I am reading about Cedar Fair, this is heaven compared to my regular job-and the good thing? Made me realize its time for me to make a change-and for that I am grateful. Life's too short to take that much grief.

That would have been Josh trying to be a tyrant. Once he went to Beast and you and Baron Von Jacobs were in charge, it was a party everyday. Admit it, even you liked it JonnyP!

BTW, I tried to save your recliner from the Party a few years ago, the little one? But my sister threw it out.

• Like 1