Will there be any Paramount left?

Young Gunz

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. Montgomery Inn only recently vacated Wings (like within the last five years). I think with a little sprucing up and a newer, brighter concept, that the Wings building can better be utilized. The Wings buffet is simply not bringing in enough people for the amount of indoor seating that it has.

Yeah. Montgomery Inn only recently vacated Wings (like within the last five years). I think with a little sprucing up and a newer, brighter concept, that the Wings building can better be utilized. The Wings buffet is simply not bringing in enough people for the amount of indoor seating that it has.

Which is always such a surprise.

Under KECO, Columbia Palace was always one of the top revenue generators.

The top's in Food Service were always Festhaus and Columbia Palace. Then the others were a toss up as far as being Bier Gardens, Burger Bistro, Rivertown Pizza and Pot Works.

I've often wondered that too why I don't see more people in there, its not in a bad location. I think most people feel that for the price and selection its easier just to get their family a large pizza in the festhaus. I personally don't think that what's offered at the Wings Buffet requires the price for it, but free refills is almost worth it.

I think maybe the last time Montgomery Inn was in Wings was mid 2006? I don't remember if Wings made the transition to buffet mid season or at the beginning of the 2006 season but I thought I remembered Montgomery Inn ribs being sold there at the beginning of the season. I remember in October 2006 Bodah, Avatar, and I met up there one evening before riding some rides and it was pretty packed, but I've never seen it that busy since. Now, I'm just a college kid and don't make a habit out of going to Montgomery Inn, but I do go there once every winter with some co-workers as part of a dinner and get together. It's a high class place known for quality, and the food is excellent. I never felt that the "Montgomery Inn" they served at Wings was anywhere near the quality at the boathouse. If I were them, I wouldn't even want my name on such a crappy product that isnt even a good reflection of what they truly offer.

Wings became a buffet sometime after regular season in 2006. I believe they tested it during the park sell out weekends, and for FearFest last year. I agree though, anyone remember watching them cook the ribs and chicken through a window on the outside of the building when it was Columbia Palace?

Well I am going to have to say that I agree with most of you on this one. I have made many a visit to that side of the park in the last few years and I have never scene a crowd of more then 10 people at a time in there. I have to say there has been times when absolutely no one was in there, except employees who looked bored to death lol. I have eaten there myself and was not impressed by the quality versus the price. So for me I could take it or leave it as a food place. With the addition of TGIF in 2008 im sure it will have scene its fate. Can anyone tell me if they have planned where they are putting TGIF ?

Yes Gordon you are correct it did not switch over to a buffet until post season “06” and that was done as a test, according to Maureen.

PKIVortex - I do remember watching them cooking the ribs and chicken outside. I always felt sorry for the workers as they always looked really hot. But on the flipside it really fit into the surroundings back then of a river town complete with smells of an outside BBQ. Back then it was the “must eat their” place in the park and you had to hunt for a seat.

I like TGI Friday and would probably eat their if they put on in at KI but I would much rather see something unique and fun put instead.

God, don`t remind me of the volunteer shift I worked in food service earlier this year during the Haunt. I got stuck in the dishroom of the Festhaus, where they obviously had not cleaned any trays all day until I got there at about 6! Let me tell you that the trays that came from the I-Street Skyline were a pain to clean!

God, don`t remind me of the volunteer shift I worked in food service earlier this year during the Haunt. I got stuck in the dishroom of the Festhaus, where they obviously had not cleaned any trays all day until I got there at about 6! Let me tell you that the trays that came from the I-Street Skyline were a pain to clean!

Then imagine how it was when Festhaus and Columbia were run correctly.

You could do trays and dishes all day long and it was a never ending process.

Especially when so many different foods were made fresh in each location.

Hmm, with the Friday's rumor, I have heard so many people say International Restaurant to become Fridays, but considering the relatively small seating area and its use as a special events facility for the park.

I wonder, since the Wings Buffet always looks underutilized, and the buffet food they have in there is about high school cafeteria quality, I wonder if THAT is where they intend to put Fridays? The only thing that makes that buffet work is the fact that if you just want a sandwich, fries and a drink anywhere else in the park you are up to $10-$11. Makes the $15 for that buffet seem almost reasonable in comparison.

Yes, though, I remember when outside on International Restaurant, Columbia Palace was considered to be the best dining in the park. At least we are starting to progress just a tiny bit away from the Paramount dark years when it seemed like the only food in the park was burgers, pizza, and skyline. The burgers they sell now aren't even as good as the KECO burgers. I remember going to Coney Cafe (where Happy Days is now) and the burgers there always seemed to be freshly grilled with fresh toppings and everything.

It reminds me of something I learned when I took the Keys to the Kingdom tour down at the Magic Kingdom a couple years ago. Someone in our group asked what changed with Food Service at Disney. In the 80s and the early 90's Disney food was not something you looked forward to, it was more of a "We have to eat", but now the dining at Disney is as much of an attraction as the attractions themselves. The response was Disney got rid of Central Kitchens, it used to be all the food for say the Magic Kingdom was cooked in one kitchen then delivered to the various stands and put in a warmer, now they have reopened the kitchens at each food stand, and each eatery is cooking their own food.

Guest kwindshawne

Then imagine how it was when Festhaus and Columbia were run correctly.

You could do trays and dishes all day long and it was a never ending process.

Especially when so many different foods were made fresh in each location.

You know what I miss? The taco salads in Festhaus....back when there was variety in there-I remember the mexican, the german, and there was something else I can't recall-and the live shows were still there....those were the days

Hmm, with the Friday's rumor, I have heard so many people say International Restaurant to become Fridays, but considering the relatively small seating area and its use as a special events facility for the park.

It does have a relatively small seating area not to mention if it was brought into full service it would have to be brought up to ADA code.

I wonder, since the Wings Buffet always looks underutilized, and the buffet food they have in there is about high school cafeteria quality, I wonder if THAT is where they intend to put Fridays? The only thing that makes that buffet work is the fact that if you just want a sandwich, fries and a drink anywhere else in the park you are up to $10-$11. Makes the $15 for that buffet seem almost reasonable in comparison.

I don't know where you went to High School but the lunch at my high school was A LOT BETTER than anything Wings offered :lol: Always good and the lunch ladies were always nice. Then again I went to private school until I was in college, so I don't know how public school food is. My favorite KI food option is always Chipotle after or before going to the park.

You know what I miss? The taco salads in Festhaus....back when there was variety in there-I remember the mexican, the german, and there was something else I can't recall-and the live shows were still there....those were the days

German, Mexican and Italian. I remember the Lasagna was actually a Stoffers Brand but it was just awesome. All the different desserts that were made in Bakery and Commisary and assembled in both Columbia Palace and Festhaus.

There was a full time crew that would prepare everything throughout the day.

Ahhhh, them were the days.

I bought a piece of cake at the Festhaus last year at FF that you literally couldn't stick a fork into. It wasn't frozen, but had dried out to the consistency of a piece of wood. I traded it in for something else, but, sheesh.

But I, like everybody else, go back every time and eat, anyway. Thats why I think they're in no rush to change the food selections. If I could get almost 4 bucks for a piece of crap, I probably wouldn't be in a big rush, either.

The food of KI today really leaves much to be desired. I used to love the food offerings at KI, but now it's too much of the same. Burgers, Pizza, Skyline etc... And way too costly.

Actually my favorite food of old was the Pita Bread Taco's that were served at Tecumsah Taco in Rivertown. They also served em for a while at Cafe Mexicana until it was changed to gormet burgers.