Firm to raise $1 million for Dayton theme park

$1M doesn't seem like a lot of money when you're talking about building a theme park...KI cost around $60Mto build 35 years ago...more recent parks (granted, of the Disney & Universal variety) cost over $1B to build today.

To put the amount in perspective...it costs around $3M to build a new, average sized Red Roof Inn.

From the looks of the article, it's not a park like KI, Disney or Universal, but one with virtual reality rides/simulators. This would be more feasible for the $1M price mentioned. But to have the world's tallest hotel? That seems a little over ambitious to me. I wouldn't predict this to be such a huge draw that this would be a necessity, not to mention the competition from other area hotels.

The $1 million is basically for a fessabillity study. They have been talking about this for a couple of years now, but there isn't much support for it.

In an article about 2yrs. ago, they said the project would cost about $180-225 million. They couldn't find the investors at the time.

A study just lines the pockets of the ones doing it. After the study you will not hear anymore about it. They have a study every 5 years or so for a bridge in Marietta and it's around 1 mill each time. There is still no bridge.

I remember talk just like this around 7 years ago for the Buckeye Lake Amusement Park and thats all it was just talk.

• 2 years later...

A study just lines the pockets of the ones doing it. After the study you will not hear anymore about it. They have a study every 5 years or so for a bridge in Marietta and it's around 1 mill each time. There is still no bridge.

I remember talk just like this around 7 years ago for the Buckeye Lake Amusement Park and thats all it was just talk.

A correct prediction, it appears!

Terpy, who cannot imagine such a thing being built in Dayton, especially in today's financial environment, both nationally and in Dayton

^ perusing the archives? :)

I was reading thru the thread and was shocked to see that I had written a reply...I thought maybe I had developed "post amnesia" or something. But, then I realized I had written it in Dec. 2007, so I stopped worrying :lol: