How do you rate the food service at Kings Island?

Young Gunz

Too bad there also wasn't a question about value/price.

You know, I could easily live with the very high prices IF the quality and service were at least near excellent....It has been many, many years since Kings Island had excellent food. In fact, this is one area (along with shows) where Paramount Parks drastically affected the quality and selection in the park, and not in a good way.

Too bad there also wasn't a question about value/price.

You know, I could easily live with the very high prices IF the quality and service were at least near excellent....It has been many, many years since Kings Island had excellent food. In fact, this is one area (along with shows) where Paramount Parks drastically affected the quality and selection in the park, and not in a good way.

I can see why he omitted that. Ask anyone about theme park prices on about anything and that becomes the biggest issue.

My take is, Kings Island can charge about anything and let's be honest... I'll probably pay it. But I do expect something of quality to be put in front of me if they're going to charge me anything for the food.

Prices are lower and the quality and service are much higher at Disney, Busch, Universal and SOME Six Flags (while at other Six Flags parks the quality and service are even more abysmal than at Kings Island.) Even Cedar Point, overall, has much better food service than Kings Island.

Where at Kings Island is ANYthing comparable to Mythos at Islands of Adventure? At one time, the International Street Restaurant was at least somewhat comparable to what is now Mythos...

IDK... most theme park shows play on novelity like bright lights, loud/hip music, pyro (in some instances) and special effects. If I want a dinner and a show it'd better be like a Broadway style musical production (Phantom, CATS, Hairspray, WICKED, etc.) and an excellent dinner. Somethings just have standards or they don't work. IDK... maybe a burger/fries dinner and "Endless Summer on ICE" would work... but I wouldn't do it.

As for food service at KI... I know they are pursuing more options because Cullinary schools around the states (OH, KY, IN) are posting FULL TIME openings at KI for food service. IDK if they have filled this spot or not, but the fact they were asking at cullinary schools really gets me excited.

I guess I'll just go to KI on FRIDAYS to really enjoy the food and shows, rides on other days. ;) -Hauntguy

Ah yes, a topic I feel strongly about (I worked in Food Service at KI for 5 years, and averaged a visit every 2 weeks in '07 with food bought almost every time).

The food quality denifitely declined through the Paramount years and the first year under CF brought no improvement. The burgers are usually cold and hard, the pizza is tolerable but not exactly satisfying for the price, cheese coneys with hard buns and the hot dog prices were outrageous.

Long gone are the great brats and metts at Bier Garten (I worked there for two years and yes, I still miss those), the freshly-baked on-site pastries at La Patisserie Francaise (yep, worked there too), the ribs and and yummy rib sandwiches (yes, they were processed meat but mighty tasty and better than the McRib) at Columbia Palace. Now we have the aforementioned stale burgers and dried-out chicken at Wings.

The only time I had a positive experience with a food service associate this year was at the blue ice cream stand in Nick U. She actually smiled and asked my daughter if she was having fun. All the other food associates we encountered this year were sullen and obviously felt that they had better places to be. I guess at least no one was outright rude to us, but still, SMILE PEOPLE. If you're not having fun, at least make an attempt to look like you are.

I have said it many times on here and will say it again...Disney's food rocks!!! Better selection, better quality for the price (still high, but it's a park and I don't feel the need to complain about it if the quality is good. I feel it's cheaper than KI, which may not actually be the case but that may based on the better quality) and healthier options. I love the fact that we can get something other than fries as a side for my daughter's kids meal... she loves the grapes & cheese cubes /apples/ whatever else is offered at the particular restaurant we are visiting. And the Dole Whips... :wub: . If you've never had one, get yourself down there to Adventureland!!!

Ah yes, a topic I feel strongly about (I worked in Food Service at KI for 5 years, and averaged a visit every 2 weeks in '07 with food bought almost every time).

The food quality denifitely declined through the Paramount years and the first year under CF brought no improvement. The burgers are usually cold and hard, the pizza is tolerable but not exactly satisfying for the price, cheese coneys with hard buns and the hot dog prices were outrageous.

Long gone are the great brats and metts at Bier Garten (I worked there for two years and yes, I still miss those), the freshly-baked on-site pastries at La Patisserie Francaise (yep, worked there too), the ribs and and yummy rib sandwiches (yes, they were processed meat but mighty tasty and better than the McRib) at Columbia Palace. Now we have the aforementioned stale burgers and dried-out chicken at Wings.

The only time I had a positive experience with a food service associate this year was at the blue ice cream stand in Nick U. She actually smiled and asked my daughter if she was having fun. All the other food associates we encountered this year were sullen and obviously felt that they had better places to be. I guess at least no one was outright rude to us, but still, SMILE PEOPLE. If you're not having fun, at least make an attempt to look like you are.

I have said it many times on here and will say it again...Disney's food rocks!!! Better selection, better quality for the price (still high, but it's a park and I don't feel the need to complain about it if the quality is good. I feel it's cheaper than KI, which may not actually be the case but that may based on the better quality) and healthier options. I love the fact that we can get something other than fries as a side for my daughter's kids meal... she loves the grapes & cheese cubes /apples/ whatever else is offered at the particular restaurant we are visiting. And the Dole Whips... :wub: . If you've never had one, get yourself down there to Adventureland!!!

Ya know Gator, I think that our food was better at KI (when you and I were employed with the park) than what Disney had or has.

Now I'm not talking the Disney Fine Dining establishments, but the general park food.

I'm hopeful that CF helps regain that.

Paramount just had the idea that food is food and they did not need to focus on quality or service. I can't see CF tolerated that type of attitude. (But I could Be Wrong.)

Asking for water from the Skyline at Coney Mall, for some odd reason, became an incident. I ask for it, and they gave me the attitude that if I wanted it, I had to practically fight for it.

Oddly enough, I go to Six Flags America a few days later, and I ask for water. No further questions asked, and the cups are of decent size, as well. (I must also plug that they have their no-smoking policy more organized and enforced than KI/CF does).

Overall, I have to echo others sentiments.. want me to pay $3.00 for Coke, $10 for a burger and fries? Get it to me quickly, friendly, and with good quality, and we've got a deal.

I remember someone saying that food quality at Disney was lackluster, but that has changed with the Eisner regime "the Disney Decade." The food experience at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg was truly something to write home about. On the other hand, why do some chains like Six Flags, Cedar Point, and former Paramount seem to have gotten away with high prices for not-so-great quality food/service? Shouldn't that be key to success?

Ya know Gator, I think that our food was better at KI (when you and I were employed with the park) than what Disney had or has.

Now I'm not talking the Disney Fine Dining establishments, but the general park food.

I may just have to agree with you there. Let's give ourselves a big pat on the back, shall we? :D

I think that you'll admit that we busted our butts to get it that way, though.

I'm wondering if they have any kind of customer service trainings like they used to in the old Resale Division.

Food service in all aspects could use a huge upgrade in 2008. Service what Service? You hardly even got greeting, and some of those Food Service employees left much to be desired.

I am going to have to agree with you there Vortex. There have been several, I mean several times where thats all I got with my food was a smart ass attitude from the server. It seems to me that in the last few years I have scene the quality of workers attitudes drastically decline. I am not saying this for every worker there but there is a large quanity. The worst attitudes seem to come from the food servers in my experiences. Ride opps seem to be a little more excited about there jobs.

I'm hopeful that CF helps regain that.

Nah, while CP has decent sit down places like Fridays and Johnny Rockets their service and quality is not much better than KI's. Selection is though, as there are all kinds of different stuff at CP but none of it is of the quality like KI used to be. I remember when getting food at a theme park was part of the experience, special treats and sweets you couldn't get at home, it was part of the excitement. It seems like in the 90's most of the wanna-be theme parks of Six Flags and Paramount went to fast food type eateries all over their parks.

I only bought food once this year during my visits to KI and that was when I bought Pizza from Rivertown LaRosa's. When I asked for a large pepperoni I had to keep repeating myself because the employee couldn't hear me over the loud rap music coming form the back. I was given a large cheese pizza and told the boy about the mistake, he rolled his eyes and yelled at the guys in the back who couldn't hear him over the music. He must have yelled about 3 times, although he did apoligize to me about the mistake. When I got to the end of the line before the lady sitting there even rang me up, she typed something on her cell phone, then rang me up and told me the price. I got the money out to pay her and before she took it she was texting away again. I could have easily stolen a bunch of those cookies off of the rack without her seeing. Finnaly I got my change and went outside sipping my fanta which tasted like watered down orange drink. I went inside asking if the same girl at the register if i could see a manger, she immediately put her phone in her pocket and yelled to the back. Out of the back walks an area manager while the rap music was still playing. The manager was nice but didn't do anything about the cell phone or music playing as all of it was still going on when my daughter walked in 10 minutes later to buy a souveneir cup.

Idk what the deal is, its not like the service is that bad throughout all of the park. I had an incident where a game employee short changed me on accident once this year and was really apolegectic and helpful with the problem and the rides kids are always good. Also, foods people are the only ones that i still see some of them wearing those older uniforms with the different collar (not the star and film strip ones) that were last worn in 04! STILL in 2007!

I do and I don't like the idea of adding major franchises to theme parks. I like it because often the quality will be up to par of their other franchises and costs usually stay within reason. I don't like it because it's part of the continuous loss of the entire "theme park experience." Parks used to be the whole package. It used to be about the rides, the shopping, the food, and overall atmosphere. You used to be able to go to a theme park and eat something that was different from what you find outside the park. That is disappearing at many theme parks. What is unique about eating at a TGIFridays at Kings Island other than the fact where it is? Also as far as shopping it used to be that you could buy things you wouldn't see anywhere else now the shops are basically a bunch of park decals stuck on things that are pretty basic.

Prices are lower and the quality and service are much higher at Disney, Busch, Universal and SOME Six Flags (while at other Six Flags parks the quality and service are even more abysmal than at Kings Island.) Even Cedar Point, overall, has much better food service than Kings Island.

Where at Kings Island is ANYthing comparable to Mythos at Islands of Adventure? At one time, the International Street Restaurant was at least somewhat comparable to what is now Mythos...

While I was at Disneyland this summer I got two Cokes for the same price you can get one at Kings Island. :angry:

The food at the other restaurants at Islands of Adventure is about the same as Kings Island.

The quality of the food i gave a 4 because to me the quality wasnt too bad. Dont get me wrong it could always use improvement but to me quality not as bad as what everybody says.(Ive seen lots worse)

The selection i gave a 3. This spot needs improvement. The park will not make money off of just burgers, hot dogs, and pizza. If they continue to do what they did before the 07 season by adding a couple of new restaurants with something different like they did with Panda Express it would be great.

Now on to the service. Where do you start there is too much to say about it. Like people have said you barely got greeted if at all, sometimes you didnt even get service, and when you did get service the employees would be really rude to you by complaining if something wasnt right for you and i heard numerous cuss words said by the employees and they acted like they didnt even care.

I ate at most of the food places at KI and i thought the best service was the Stunt Crew Grill in Action Zone. That crew did a really nice job compared to other places, they gave you service, got you through the line quickly with your food, and were overall nice people no matter what was going on.

The service in the food department at Kings Island has got to improve by next season because 07 was a really poor year and they should feel a shamed of themselves for how poorly they acted this year.

Sorry to anybody here on KIC that may have worked in the food department i dont mean to harm any of you but something has to be done because this season was HORRIBLE!!!

In that case, maybe my 5's on everything except service, which received a 4, are all because I usually frequent Stunt Crew Grill. In my opinion, its got to be one of the best places to eat in the whole park. Admittedly, I pay well for it, but the portions are HUGE. My bacon cheddarburger platter fills me up with absolutely no problem, and I've never had a bad one. If I don't eat there, I eat at Chick-Fil-A, and I haven't had any problems there either. The stories you've shared--especially the phone and rap music, I find to be a little distressing. :unsure:

Hopefully they will improve the food experience overall.

And now you touched on MY problem. You see, I have lost a massive amount of weight. I must be very, very careful about what and how much goes down the hatch. I am NOT eating burgers, fries and pizza on a regular basis. If I DO eat some of those things, they had better be of superb quality, even if they are FREE. Other friends of mine don't have such broad options. One friend, in particular, can eat virtually NO salt. There is almost nothing he can eat at Kings Island. At Disney, Busch or Universal, this is not a problem.

Kings Island's food seems stuck in the mid 1970's....particularly odd since there were many more healthful choices in the park back then than there are now!

^No Friendly's in Cincy anymore... so that would make it a unique dining experience! Let's go for it!

BTW, the only 2 Friendly's I know of are near the Dayton airport (where I always fly out of whenever I do fly) and near the Daytona Beach airport (where I usually land whenever I fly)! :lol:

There's another one in Troy Ohio at the State Route 41 Exit. Didn't knpow the one in Vandalia was still there. We used to eat there a lot when I was a kid. And I agree that would be good at the park.

^No Friendly's in Cincy anymore... so that would make it a unique dining experience! Let's go for it!

BTW, the only 2 Friendly's I know of are near the Dayton airport (where I always fly out of whenever I do fly) and near the Daytona Beach airport (where I usually land whenever I fly)! :lol:

There is one by the Dayton Mall that opened last year and one in Kettering. I still love the wattamelon roll. :wub: