Forum Skin?

The forum skin is the new default. We changed it as a result of the downtime that occurred this afternoon. Our community is getting larger and larger and is becoming more and more taxing on our server. As a result of this, we decided to make the default skin something that has several fewer images associated with it. This should help free up some server connectivity and help KIC stay on this server for at least a little while longer. So yeah, I'm sure I've told you guys this before, but KIC only lasts on a server for about 6 months before we are evicted. Every time we move, it's always to be a bigger and faster server and six months later, our community outgrows it and we are asked (well, instructed) to take our business elsewhere.

Ryan got it somewhat right, the old skin had more than a handful of images and with the community getting bigger and bigger, it bogged down the server and we got took down for awile. For a temp fix for this problem, I took down the old skin and set this Pro skin from Invision up as default that has alot less images.

Right now I have a new dedicated server being built at http://www.theplanet.com so we can have all the power we will ever need (and much more.)

The ads are part of our contract with Cox Ohio Publishing. They have nothing to do with the server. Contractually, the ads can't pop up, they can't be offensive, and they can't make noise. Since KIC is completely free, scrolling past a small graphic isn't too much to ask of anyone.

The ads dont really bother me, they arent the IN YOUR FACE kinda ads that take up half the screen. Its easy to just overlook them and move on .. it doesnt bother me .. and coastersrz makes a good point .. it takes a lot of members to make a solid based group of members that actually post on a day to day week to week basis. =^)

• 2 weeks later...

And, especially but not just when compared to other ad supported sites, one must note that Cox's ads are inoffensive, quiet, respectable and hopefully effective for their advertisers. Just a short visit to some point****, scream*****, coaster****, etc., sites should show you the difference, not to mention certain car, marketing, cultural and entertainment sites....

I'm intrigued by this thread. How did this site land a deal with Cox Publishing? I assume they must make decent money from the ads? As a reader of several of the above mentioned coaster sites, I think it's great that the ads are not overly annoying.

Any plans to do a new forum skin now that the site is on a dedicated server?