Man Dies On Expedition Everest

44-Year-Old Man Dies After Being Found Unresponsive On Disney Ride

Park Officials Say Ride Was Operating Properly

POSTED: 2:57 pm EST December 18, 2007

UPDATED: 4:11 pm EST December 18, 2007

A man died on Tuesday after being found unresponsive in the unloading area of a ride at Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom, park officials said.

Jeffery Reed, 44, of Navarre, Fla., was discovered unresponsive after riding Expedition Everest, officials said.

Cardiopulmonary resuscitation was administered and there were no reported signs of trauma on Reed, Disney officials said through a release.

Reed was transported to Celebration Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Orange County sheriff's investigators said that Reed appeared to be conscious about 50 seconds before the conclusion of the ride, which reaches speeds of 50 mph and features an 80-foot drop, because his photograph was taken as the coaster progressed toward the unloading area.

The attraction was inspected after the incident and was operating properly, Disney officials said.

The ride has been closed while park officials reconfirm proper operation of the ride, the release said.

The state Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection was notified of the incident.

Reed was believed to be visiting the park with family members, according to an Orange County sheriff's report.

"We offer the family our deepest sympathies and will provide assistance to them during this difficult time," Disney representative Andrea Finger said.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Copyright 2007 by Internet Broadcasting Systems and Local6.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

It is currently not known what killed the man, that is still under investigation, no one will know until an autopsy is performed on the man.

Neon, you picked quite an awkward time to go off topic. You waste time to copyright anything that you dont want others to reproduce and benifit from, as simple as that. Also more than likely that copyright applies to the whole website/news agency and any articles/info therein.

Well, it is a numbers game, after all. Look at the shear number of guests that Disney entertains at its parks just in Florida in any given year. The more people they entertain, the more likely the chances that there will be an accident or injury at their properties.

It is always sad to hear when such an incident occurs. Sad for the families, especially with the timing of this particular incident. As Ryan stated, it is likely the result of a medical condition. And, to trump Ed Markey, it is not likely a defect of the ride itself that led to this tragic death.

Guest kwindshawne
Yep same thing happened on Top Gun a few years ago. But I think she passed away at the hospital and not on the ride, but the ride caused it.

I think about that on occasion-I am approaching the age of the woman who died, so it does cross my mind briefly.

Probably was a heart attack. Coasters are just getting more extreme-and we are getting more unhealthy.

Expedition Everest is not a extreme coaster, but I can see how this could have happened. Just a same its been going on alot this past year at theme parks.

Of course, if you would have died at that time and just happened to be sneezing is just like if you would have died at that time and just happened to be on Everest. Millions and millions of people go to Disney (or read parks, if you'd rather). Of course some are going to die while there. As far as non-coincidental deaths in parks, most are caused by rider misconduct. Not all, but by far most.

[Note: I am not necessarily agreeing with the more people die sneezing than on amusement rides....never heard that one before. By the way, the leading cause of injury in parks is.....falls, usually on the midways.]

The sad part about it, those warnings are there for a reason, but most don't even know they suffer from high blood pressure or have a heart condition.

Exactly. My Uncle has had a weak Aorda (sp?) since he was a boy, and he has rode Millennium Force. The doctor said if he went on riding for a couple more years, he could have died before age 50.

He had surgery 8 weeks ago, and can't ride most roller coasters anymore.

Coasters can be dangerous, as this proves.

Guest kwindshawne
The sad part about it, those warnings are there for a reason, but most don't even know they suffer from high blood pressure or have a heart condition.

Exactly. My Uncle has had a weak Aorda (sp?) since he was a boy, and he has rode Millennium Force. The doctor said if he went on riding for a couple more years, he could have died before age 50.

He had surgery 8 weeks ago, and can't ride most roller coasters anymore.

Holy moly-the aorta is the main artery running through the center of your body. If it ruptures, you can die from blood loss very quickly. Yikes!!

I have high blood pressure myself..and I know, I don't want any lectures, but compared to a weak aorta, this is not a big deal. I work in a hospital and I am guessing 80% of the people I see have high blood pressure. That would knock out most of the riding public. As long as mine is controlled, I will continue to ride.

Guest kwindshawne
Exactly, It was scary because he had ridden practicly every coaster at CP!

I can see that.. talking about top gun-it seems a fairly mild coaster, but I can see how that woman died. When I ride it, it is pretty breath taking. I am finding top gun and Vortex's first hill are getting harder for me to handle.

Coasters are not dangerous.

His condition is dangerous.

He could suffer a ruptured aorta getting into a car accident, or walking up stairs, or even sneezing.

Not that your uncle suffers from this condition, but refer to a very publicized death concerning the aorta:

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20...n-ritters-death

I can see that.. talking about top gun-it seems a fairly mild coaster, but I can see how that woman died. When I ride it, it is pretty breath taking. I am finding top gun and Vortex's first hill are getting harder for me to handle

Ohh yea, when my mom rides the rides, she says it gets harder and harder each time. She refuses to ride Vortex now, and says The Racer is a huge ordeal.