San Fran: Escaped Zoo Tiger Kills 1; Injures 2

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S.F. Zoo's Tatiana acted her part as alpha predator, experts say

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...7/MN39U4TQ5.DTL

(an excellent summary of where things are at this point)

New Tiger Security Expected In A Month:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...1/BAPRU7HOG.DTL

To start out, I am in no way intending my statement towards the reply above this one. It's just about 1:30 in the morning, and I clicked on the 1st icon that I came to.

I would like to say that up until this point, Zoo's would have had no realistic reason to believe the walls were not high enough to prevent something like this from happening to someone. This is, after all, the very first time that a guest has been killed in an A.Z.A. accredited facility by an animal. EVER!!!!! Yes, associates of zoo's have been killed by animals before, and goodness knows that they have been hospitalized before, but for a guest to get killed.....This could not be any more serious of a situation. Over the course of the next several months, this is going to be a contributing factor to every zoo housing potentially dangerous animals, especially the big cats. And will most likely bring about many changes, especially in policies, and procedures.

I still believe that the animal had to be provoked to perform such an act. I do not believe that a well kept, and well fed tiger with a clearly marked, long term territory would randomly choose to maul 3 people without first being harrassed in some form or another.

To back up this statement I would like to remind you of Shamu's attack of one of it's trainers, which I believe happened just over one year ago, in what I believe was the Sea World of San Diego. Yes, this killer whale did fiercely attack this trainer, but if it really wanted to kill him, it could have all too easily. What the media did not tell you is that this same whale attacked the very same trainer years before this. Clearly there is something about him that the animal did not like. And it even appeared as though, ....it remembered. The other factor that the media never told you about this animal attack was that the killer whale had been seperated from it's calf just the day before. Coincedence, I think not.

I could not bring up this topic without introducing another one, with a polar opposite outcome. This involves the true story of a man who died in Sea World, Orlando, years ago. To be honest, I am not even sure what year this happened.

Yes, this man died in the A.Z.A. approved facility, but not at the hands of an animal. Instead at the hands of his own ignorance. The man somehow managed to slip past security one night at Sea World, and apparently had a deep love for the Orca's. So deep in fact that he chose to get into a deep situation with them. That's right, he dove into the Orca's tank at Shamu Stadium. The man had died that night from neither animal attack or drowning.

Here is what makes this story the polar opposite from my paragraph above:

THE ORCA NEW THAT SOMETHING WAS WRONG, AND LIFTED THE MAN TO THE SURFACE AND PUSHED HIM TO THE STAGE OUT OF THE WATER. but Shamu was too late. The man had died from Hypothermia.

These were Killer Whales, native to Icy Cold Waters, in which their habitat had been made as close to match as possible. And this man was not wearing a wet suit. He was wearing everyday Florida weather clothes.

True story

m.f.

To start out, I am in no way intending my statement towards the reply above this one. It's just about 1:30 in the morning, and I clicked on the 1st icon that I came to.

I would like to say that up until this point, Zoo's would have had no realistic reason to believe the walls were not high enough to prevent something like this from happening to someone. This is, after all, the very first time that a guest has been killed in an A.Z.A. accredited facility by an animal. EVER!!!!! Yes, associates of zoo's have been killed by animals before, and goodness knows that they have been hospitalized before, but for a guest to get killed.....This could not be any more serious of a situation. Over the course of the next several months, this is going to be a contributing factor to every zoo housing potentially dangerous animals, especially the big cats. And will most likely bring about many changes, especially in policies, and procedures.

I still believe that the animal had to be provoked to perform such an act. I do not believe that a well kept, and well fed tiger with a clearly marked, long term territory would randomly choose to maul 3 people without first being harrassed in some form or another.

To back up this statement I would like to remind you of Shamu's attack of one of it's trainers, which I believe happened just over one year ago, in what I believe was the Sea World of San Diego. Yes, this killer whale did fiercely attack this trainer, but if it really wanted to kill him, it could have all too easily. What the media did not tell you is that this same whale attacked the very same trainer years before this. Clearly there is something about him that the animal did not like. And it even appeared as though, ....it remembered. The other factor that the media never told you about this animal attack was that the killer whale had been seperated from it's calf just the day before. Coincedence, I think not.

I could not bring up this topic without introducing another one, with a polar opposite outcome. This involves the true story of a man who died in Sea World, Orlando, years ago. To be honest, I am not even sure what year this happened.

Yes, this man died in the A.Z.A. approved facility, but not at the hands of an animal. Instead at the hands of his own ignorance. The man somehow managed to slip past security one night at Sea World, and apparently had a deep love for the Orca's. So deep in fact that he chose to get into a deep situation with them. That's right, he dove into the Orca's tank at Shamu Stadium. The man had died that night from neither animal attack or drowning.

THE ORCA NEW THAT SOMETHING WAS WRONG, AND LIFTED THE MAN TO THE SURFACE AND PUSHED HIM TO THE STAGE OUT OF THE WATER. but Shamu was too late. The man had died from Hypothermia.

These were Killer Whales, native to Icy Cold Waters, in which their habitat had been made as close to match as possible. And this man was not wearing a wet suit. He was wearing everyday Florida weather clothes.

True story

m.f.

I tend to believe that animals are a better judge of character than people are often.

I can tell ya, if I'm dating someone they better get along with my pets.

If they do not, there is no second date.

Yeah. JacksonPKI, you really need to work on elaborating on what you mean. Did you read this article? It discusses how even though there are these tragic accidents at the zoos, curiosity often brings people back to the zoo, regardless of fear of the catastrophe occurring again.

Guest kwindshawne

True story

m.f.

I tend to believe that animals are a better judge of character than people are often.

I can tell ya, if I'm dating someone they better get along with my pets.

If they do not, there is no second date.

Very well said.

Yes, we most certainly did. I think this whole slingshot thing will be some key evidence. I don't see the brothers winning their case, I do see Carlos getting his medical bills covered, and I do see the incident being put on the brother's shoulders if they did in fact fling their little slingshot (and any single party is found to be of blame. The zoo will undoubtedly get most if not all of the important animal experts, after all, they are networked to do so. Although the lawyer may be as well, he would have to get Jack Hannah to say that the Tiger would have attacked without being provoked, and Hannah loves animals so I dont see him testifying for Geragos other than in cross exam.

This is almost a draw in my mind though, the Zoo had too short of a wall and the brothers had a slingshot, both contributed and end of story. Although i feel those brothers got their just reward if they taunted the tiger.

Well, of course! People are scared to go there! Heck, I would!

Why are you planning on bringing a slingshot with you?

Because in the 2 years that this tiger has been at this particular enclosure there have not been any other escapes prior to this one.

Let's put this into our terminology:

Perhaps this zoo did not meet the recommended height in 2007 because when this enclousure was built, it did meet the recommended height and as the years went by, new recommendations came about.

Just like when a particular rollercoaster had a height limit or no seatbelts one year, and the next year the height limit is raised and seatbealts are added. Things change over time, and for various reasons.

Sigh. We KNEW this would happen:

Tiger-Attacked Brothers Hire Legal Pit Bull:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4072527&page=1

Ahhhh, the American Way.

Money and Ambulance Chasers.....

Say that all you want, but if I get severly hurt some place, You can bet that I will be selecting the right ambulance chaser for me out of the many that come flocking to my hospital bed.

I find it so funny how people always want to dog on "ambulance chasers", sure maybe most of them don't really care about you, and just want their money. However, we have them for a reason, they keep institutions and other organizations in-check and honest. I personally hate spiders a whole lot, but I still recognize their worth and what they have to offer by staying around.

Sigh. We KNEW this would happen:

Tiger-Attacked Brothers Hire Legal Pit Bull:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=4072527&page=1

Ahhhh, the American Way.

Money and Ambulance Chasers.....

Say that all you want, but if I get severly hurt some place, You can bet that I will be selecting the right ambulance chaser for me out of the many that come flocking to my hospital bed.

I find it so funny how people always want to dog on "ambulance chasers", sure maybe most of them don't really care about you, and just want their money. However, we have them for a reason, they keep institutions and other organizations in-check and honest. I personally hate spiders a whole lot, but I still recognize their worth and what they have to offer by staying around.

They do nothing of the sort as far as keeping "organizations in-check and honest." As I've mentioned, if there is a severe accident a good attorney can assist in working out all the legal paperwork. In general, Ambulance Chasers know and care nothing about you other than your settlement. Doubt me? If ya ever have the opportunity to use one ask to speak with the attorney that is appointed to handle your case/claim. Tell them that you don't want to speak with the paralegal (the person that may actually know something about your file) and ask to speak with the attorney. You'll be amazed. If you had any idea how claim reps deal with TV Advertising Attorneys you'd be in shock. I generally consider Mill (ie - churn and burn) Attorney's whipping boys. <G>