San Fran: Escaped Zoo Tiger Kills 1; Injures 2

So these three decided to burn a few, hit some Absolut, and drive to the zoo...

On Christmas no less.

Now there are witnesses claiming that they were taunting other animals, and there is proof that they were standing on some kind of railing that is just above the tiger enclosure, behind some bushes where you are not supposed to walk.

The zoo attorney is going to chew them up.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Interpreter I love how you just spun that outcome both ways, and both ways led to mostly the same scenario.

Is the idea of Cetaris Paribus used in law?

If so...other things equal (wall height not being a problem before this incident, the guests shouldn't be bothering the animals etc.), can the boys who started this be deemed solely at fault with very very little discipline handed down to the zoo?

Why should the zoo be disciplined?

The wall was not at the recommended height. There has been nothing mentioned about a required height.

If I was the zoo attorney, my first question would be that if the wall was 38" higher, or the recommeded height, would that, without a doubt, have stopped a provoked tiger from escaping?

Now combine that with the fact that the tiger attraction has been around for "x" amount of years without prior incident, and I find it very difficult to find complete neglegence on the zoos part.

I find it funny that the brothers' attorney has not commented. He has consistantly said there was no taunting, and now this comes out. Kind of puts the attorney's credibilty (whatever amount he has) in question. Of course, he was going off of what his client's were telling him. Now how much longer he will keep the brothers on as clients is the question. Of course, judging from his past clients, he does like high profile cases!

And I would suspect it is easily determinable whose blood that was in the enclosure...a DNA test ought to resolve that very quickly. I bet I know that two boys are very much hoping it belonged to the tiger. Even if it did, I see that as hurting, not helping their cause. Why would the tiger be bleeding?

WHY THAT'S JUST BLOODY BRILLIANT

anyways

I don't think that this is over just yet. Something is pressuring these guys into admitting a little bit at a time all on their own. I have worked with a lot of animals, but granted I do not have the pleasure of calling myself a "tiger expert". Despite this, my assumption looks at a few factors. The tiger lived in captivity in a major city in California of all states. Clearly the animal is quite used to people yelling, children screaming, in some cases, probably adults screaming. It is probably used to children waving their hands at it, and screaming at it, and it is probably used to hearing parents talking loudly to quiet their children. ( the tiger is not really going to know the difference is it? After all its all noise to it )

The tiger is probably also used to vehicles moving throughout the park. I cannot say for certain, but the animal probably could hear traffic outside of the zoo as well. Many have golf carts, and trucks moving throughout ( trucks mostly after hours ) I can't speak for this zoo, but many have trains, and other various tour vehicles. The tiger is also going to hear sirens going off in the city, vehicles horns, etc. Decorations throughout the year, ( especially at Christmas time ) are going to be unique distractions for the animal, and animals in zoo's are also given what is called "Enrichments" which defined would be various activities and experiences that strengthen the animals natural curious behaviors.

The point that I am getting at is that this tiger is used to noise and new experiences.

These boys did more than just scream at it, while they were high on pot, and drunk.

I would say that it could be a case against them that they were too high to even remember taunting the tiger at all. But I am 100% certain that they were doing more than just screaming at it.

m.f.

To confirm what Marlfox has stated:

http://www.pe.com/ap_news/California/CA_Ti...s_324161C.shtml

However, know that under the common law, one who endeavors to keep a wilde beast is required to take all measures to restrain it, and is strictly responsible for any and all damages it may cause, regardless of the reasons for its escape (except where the so-called victim has in fact let the wilde beast loose)...this has been somewhat modified by the doctrines of comparative negligence in effect in most states, including California. That being said, it is hard to say with a straight fact that the victims here did not at least partly contribute to their own fates. And this is nowhere near over....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
"Had the zoo done their job and enclosed the tiger properly, the tiger would have never got out, which was the duty of the zoo and the city. The zoo is not well-maintained. They are responsible for depriving this young man of his life," Cardoza said.

Some attorneys make me sick.

Yeah, all the years the tiger exibit was open, their was never an escape.

It just happened that this one particular day, being intoxicated, in posession of a slingshot, and evidence that the victim was past part of the enclosure have nothing to do with the attack.

It had all to do with the enclosure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
The parents of the teenager mauled to death on Christmas Day have reached a settlement with the San Francisco Zoological Society for an undisclosed amount. Carlos Sousa, 17, and his two friends were attacked by an escaped three-year-old Siberian tiger on in 2007.

Sousa was killed while his two friends, the Dhaliwal brothers from San Jose survived with serious injuries. The brothers have their own lawsuit pending.

As part of the settlement there will be a bench in memory of Sousa at the zoo....

[emphasis added]

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29189497/

This whole thing makes me sick. I dont see much restraint of the bears at the cincy zoo-does anyone really think any type of restraint would keep an animal in place if it is being picked at? The kids were irresponsible, and unfortunately paid the worst price. Thats a lawsuit that shouldn't have been-the whole thing would not have happened if they had been responsible to begin with.

• 3 months later...
The San Francisco Zoo agreed Thursday to pay $900,000 to two brothers who survived the fatal attack by an escaped tiger on Christmas Day 2007, sources familiar with the case told The Chronicle.

The agreement with Kulbir, 25, and Amritpal "Paul" Dhaliwal, 20, resolves claims the brothers brought in U.S. District Court against the city, zoo and Sam Singer, a crisis public relations consultant the zoo hired after the attack, one source said.

Thursday's settlement comes less than two weeks after attorneys for the brothers filed court documents alleging that police officials had ordered officers to issue arrest warrants for the Dhaliwals, accusing them of manslaughter in the death of their friend, 17-year-old Carlos Sousa Jr. of San Jose, who was killed by the tiger. ...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../BAPS17T0BD.DTL

• 1 year later...