~BYE~ Best Year Ever 2007!

Captain Nemo

~BYE~
Best Year Ever

Welcome to the 4th annuel ~BYE~ topic. It's almost 2008! Don't you think it is time to look back on the crazy year KI went through? Lets have a precap of the things that happened this year!
Great Wolf Lodge has a successful first year, Tomb Raider is once again mystirous with the finding of its themeing outside. The Golden Ticket Award for Best Kids Area for the seventh year in a row goes to Nickelodion Universe. Fearfest is upgraded to Halloween Haunt. That something strange happening near Fort Cooper turns out to be Firehawk, and Fort Cooper becomes Fort Kinzel. Son of Beast reopens. Five new show entertain Hundreds of thousands of guests. The PKI sign once again comes down, but this time not from a storm! Now we find ourselfs not even talking about 2008, but 2009?!

So many happenings this year at the best park ever! This gives us new reasons to support our saying that Cedar Fairs Kings Island had the Best Year Ever!!!

This years ~BYE~ will follow the same rules as 2006's BYE. There will be no poll in this topic, only a set of questions that you answer. Answer each question giving feedback and reason for your decision. Let's get started.

What roller coaster in your opinion had its best year ever?

What thrill ride in your opinion had its best year ever?

What restaurant had the best food?

What crew/area was best?

Did Son of Beast have its Best Year Ever? explain why or why not.

What new show in 2007 was the best in your opinion?

What was the best thing that happened this year at Kings Island?

What change from 2006 to 2007 was the best?

Did Kings Island Central have its best year ever?

You may add more reason of why you think 2007 was the best year ever after these question. Please respect others opinions. Till next year, Happy New Year!

-Captain Nemo

What roller coaster in your opinion had its best year ever?--- Adventure Express

What thrill ride in your opinion had its best year ever?--- Delirium

What restaurant had the best food?--- Panda Express

What crew/area was best?--- Adventure Express / Viking Fury

Did Son of Beast have its Best Year Ever? explain why or why not.--- Best year ever... its enjoyable

What new show in 2007 was the best in your opinion?--- Dead Awaking

What was the best thing that happened this year at Kings Island?--- All the merchandise sales

What change from 2006 to 2007 was the best?--- Club Blood :rolleyes:

Did Kings Island Central have its best year ever?--- sure

With less than expected downtime and a well received opening, I award Best Coaster of 2007 to Firehawk!

Four years later and still thrill riders, this goes to Delirium.

Going with Cincinnati tradition, I award LaRosa's this honor.

What crew/area was best?

If I had to choose an actual department, I would say ecology. The park is cleaner than ever.

Yes -- despite rumors of removal, Son of Beast came back with a vengeance delivering some of the most comfortable rides it has ever given.

Hands down, Dead Awakening. Clearly shows how the talent of KI can be stretched to all new levels.

The rekindling of the entertainment department this year. It's certainly the most exciting thing that we saw.

I like the cleaner park, my aggressive corporate staff, and the upgrade of Fearfest to Halloween Haunt.

Surpassing 3,000 members, signing with a major media outlet, and throwing the event to end all events... this has certainly been the most exciting year from a staff perspective that we've seen yet. I hope you guys had as much fun on KIC in 07 as we did running the show.

The Beast! Every year is great!

Does Viking Fury count as a thrill ride? Oktoberfest represents!!

LaRosa's; I like their pizza, but they sort of won by default. Second place I would give to BBSS. Once again, vintage KI.

What crew/area was best?

IJ:ST. I'm always impressed with that crew. Very efficient.

I saw no difference; just that there's no loop now.

Endless Summer on Ice. I had never been in the Paramount Theatre until this year; I was really impressed.

Hopefully that they began work on a large coaster for the 2009 season.

Have to give that one to Firehawk. Great ride.

I would have to say yes, with having the event at the park. Hopefully, if there's another one, I can make it!!

What roller coaster in your opinion had its best year ever? Adventure Express

What thrill ride in your opinion had its best year ever? Avatar

What restaurant had the best food? Panda Express

What crew/area was best? Adventure Express

No, CF destroyed Son of Beast with the loop removal and putting the worst possible

trains on it. The Dept of Agriculture needs to condemn this thing and have it removed.

What new show in 2007 was the best in your opinion? Dead Awakenings

What was the best thing that happened this year at Kings Island? Coaster Con XXX

What change from 2006 to 2007 was the best? You can go to both Kings Island and Cedar Point and park at both parks on the same pass.

Did Kings Island Central have its best year ever? I will say yes, because as a result of the event they had at Kings Island, I made a couple of new friends!

What roller coaster in your opinion had its best year ever?Son of Beast

What thrill ride in your opinion had its best year ever?Delirium

What restaurant had the best food?Panda Express

What crew/area was best?Beast Crew

Son of Beast did have its best year. Why, well because it is smother and fun.

What new show in 2007 was the best in your opinion?Only saw one

What was the best thing that happened this year at Kings Island?It was cleaner

What change from 2006 to 2007 was the best?Son of Beast

Did Kings Island Central have its best year ever?Yes I loved the event it was so fun

What roller coaster in your opinion had its best year ever?-Adventure Express

What thrill ride in your opinion had its best year ever?-Delerium

What restaurant had the best food?-Happy Days

What crew/area was best?-Firehawk Crew / X-Base Area

Did Son of Beast have its Best Year Ever? explain why or why not.-Yes, It has been running smoother than ever.

What new show in 2007 was the best in your opinion?-Twisting into the 60's

What was the best thing that happened this year at Kings Island?-Firehawk Came to it's origional Home

What change from 2006 to 2007 was the best?-New trains on SoB

Did Kings Island Central have its best year ever?-No

Question 1- Compared to years prior, easily Firehawk.

Question 2- Delirium. Its running great and the uptime was phenomenal. Gee I wonder why? :P

Question 3- None. The food at KI is horrible. Price, taste, service, ETC

Question 4- Action Zone is still the bomb and always will be

Question 5- In terms of?...Smoothness I will give you but its still very painful in the first helix. In the end though, the ride is still boring and needs to go. Seriously, is anyone else bored/hurting beyond belief after the first drop?

Question 6- The best show was easily Dead Awakening. Who doesn't love a hot blonde running around half naked on stage?

Question 7- The best thing was seeing Cedar Fairs first true full season at the reigns. Its nice to have a true amusement park company running the show.

Question 8- The best change was the FearFest makeover. Its good to see them actually invest some serious money into this event.

Question 9- I heart Dane.

-Firehawk, ran much more reliable and efficently than it ever did at Geauga Lake.

-Delirium, absolutely awesome ride and always reliable.

-Panda Express, although too pricey, its atleast worth paying for, unlike other KI food.

What crew/area was best?[/b

-The Beast Crew

-Definitely, the ride is actually somewhat enjoyable now.

-While none of them were that good, I'd day endless summer on ice due to it being something different.

-The installation of Firehawk

What change from 2006 to 2007 was the best?[/b

-New uniforms on some employees.

-Without a doubt.

What restaurant had the best food? - Wings Diner. Best prices so my family ate there often.

What crew/area was best? - Little Bill's Giggle Coaster. They let my son and I have repeat rides.

Did Son of Beast have its Best Year Ever? explain why or why not. - No. It has had too many problems. Time to retire.

What new show in 2007 was the best in your opinion? - Dead Awakening at Halloween Haunt

What was the best thing that happened this year at Kings Island? - More seatbelts and more trash cans.

What change from 2006 to 2007 was the best? A buffet restaurant.

Did Kings Island Central have its best year ever? Yes. The site transitioned from PKIC to KIC very well.

You may add more reason of why you think 2007 was the best year ever after these question. Please respect others opinions. Till next year, Happy New Year!

It was the best year ever because my son rode the Fairly Odd Coaster, Blue's Skidoo, Phantom Flyers, and many other rides for the first time.

Best regards,

Italian Chef

What roller coaster in your opinion had its best year ever? Tie: Adventure Express and Son of Beast.

What thrill ride in your opinion had its best year ever? Delirium

What restaurant had the best food? - Panda Express. Good quality. (Of course, LaRosa's gets an honorable mention.)

What crew/area was best? - Adventure Express. Not only on the ball, but even enthused.

Did Son of Beast have its Best Year Ever? explain why or why not. - Yes, as later in the season, not just my first ride of the season, I had a comfortable ride. The Premier trains just sucked.

What new show in 2007 was the best in your opinion? - Endless Summer on Ice

What was the best thing that happened this year at Kings Island? - Removal of the Paramount name, and emphasis on cleanliness.

What change from 2006 to 2007 was the best? Again, the beginning of De-Paramountization

Did Kings Island Central have its best year ever? I don't see why not: the event, and more members than ever!

It was the beginning of a new era for Kings Island. A re-emphasis on thrills (Firehawk), while still improving the aspect of family entertainment (New shows, Nick Universe still great).

I'd say a tie between Son of best and Firehawk. SOB is now smoother and more enjoyable (even though I loved it before).. And Firehawk grew more reliable over this season!

I'd probably say that Delirium has had its best year!

I'd say a tie between Panda Express and Potato works(?) in rivertown.. (if that's the name of it!)

What crew/area was best?

To be biased, I'd say Firehawk.. But my unbiased pick would probably be Ecology or Vortex / shake rattle and roll.

I personally think so. Even after the incident last year, ridership was still good, ride experience was improved, and even though capacity was down, it's still one of the great rides you can only experience at King's Island!

I didn't really get to see any, but as far as guests have talked about and as far as I've seen (videos online and walking by..) Dead Awakening was very good!

I'd say the park is MUCH cleaner, Firehawk was a great addition, SOB re-opened, and Halloween Haunt was a big success in my opinion!

The introduction of the Cedar Fair Maxx Pass :-p.. But as far as Kings Island, it had a much better attitude when you walked in (for me atleast) and the park was much cleaner.

This is my first year here, so I can't really say. But sure! It's been a pretty big year for you guys! Congrats.

What roller coaster in your opinion had its best year ever? Tie between Firehawk and Adventure Express!

What thrill ride in your opinion had its best year ever? Delirium

What restaurant had the best food? None...

What crew/area was best? Entertainment!!!

Did Son of Beast have its Best Year Ever? explain why or why not. YES and NO! Yes, as it's smoother and better trains... NO because it's still SOB!

What new show in 2007 was the best in your opinion? Dead Awakening

What was the best thing that happened this year at Kings Island? Upgrade to Halloween Haunt!

What change from 2006 to 2007 was the best? Hmmmmm.... Cleaner park!

Did Kings Island Central have its best year ever? NO! I think we haven't seen it's best year ever yet. ;)

-Hauntguy

Can you give some insight as to why you feel this way?

yea sure! well personaly i delt with alot more guest complaints this year, than i ever did before and for the first time i almost always thought they had reason to be angry. i also saw management of certain departments fall apart before my eyes it was shameful how terrible they were. Cedar Fair would also change policies that had been in place for 20+ years after the slightest little miss hape. i under stood that they would make policy changes but some of them were absolutly absurd. Lastly the attention given to maintaining things in the park laged miserably, specificely maintenence. on the other hand the park was alot cleaner this year and Firehawk was a great addition to the park. but overall yea i thought they were really crappy park runners. i had really high hopes for them but they did very much dissapoint me. so anyways lets hope for a better 2008! :D

Can you give some insight as to why you feel this way?

yea sure! well personaly i delt with alot more guest complaints this year, than i ever did before and for the first time i almost always thought they had reason to be angry. i also saw management of certain departments fall apart before my eyes it was shameful how terrible they were. Cedar Fair would also change policies that had been in place for 20+ years after the slightest little miss hape. i under stood that they would make policy changes but some of them were absolutly absurd. Lastly the attention given to maintaining things in the park laged miserably, specificely maintenence. on the other hand the park was alot cleaner this year and Firehawk was a great addition to the park. but overall yea i thought they were really crappy park runners. i had really high hopes for them but they did very much dissapoint me. so anyways lets hope for a better 2008! :D

Looking at your sig, it looks like you were at Tomb Raider this past year. Where were you reassigned after it's breakdown in which you heard so many guest complaints? Do guests really go up to a random ride up and say, "I want to talk to your supervisor!" Honest questions.

Actually, either Firehawk or Batwing WAS intended for Kings Island originally, as has been discussed here before. When Stealth was built, Paramount Parks had an exclusive on Vekoma Flying Dutchmen for a number of years. It was only after Stealth proved to be a trouble prone ride that PP did not exercise its exclusivity option, and Six Flags then bought Batwing and X-Flight....originally one of those two was to be installed at Paramount's Kings Island, in the exact location where Firehawk ended up.

Irony, indeed.

From my sources, the preliminary work to install Firehawk had been done years before, by Paramount Parks. I must say an IJST location for that ride would have been SLIGHTLY better than putting IJST there, but either was not an improvement over that bucolic area of the park before the ride installation...nothing will ever complement that area as well as did the antique cars.

Guest kwindshawne
From my sources, the preliminary work to install Firehawk had been done years before, by Paramount Parks. I must say an IJST location for that ride would have been SLIGHTLY better than putting IJST there, but either was not an improvement over that bucolic area of the park before the ride installation...nothing will ever complement that area as well as did the antique cars.

I miss the cars. I know things change, but that is a childhood memory of me and dad I will always treasure.

Guest kwindshawne

What roller coaster in your opinion had its best year ever? Beast....When I rode it for the first time after returning back in 2005, it seemed rough. Now it is much better

What thrill ride in your opinion had its best year ever? I don't know about that one.....I wish The Racers would get some track work..is as bad as Son now.

What restaurant had the best food? I don't like any of them..just being honest....I prefer mexican food when eating out, and when the taco salads left festhaus, that was it for me. I got a pretzel during Haunt, and I could have played baseball with that thing.

What crew/area was best? Beast. Still the best.....that crew enjoys their job and it shows.

Did Son of Beast have its Best Year Ever? explain why or why not. Yes...it is better now with all the modifications, however, I don't think its that great of a coaster. It has reached its peak, and I still can't handle the helix.

What new show in 2007 was the best in your opinion? The ice show..sorry, brain fart.

What was the best thing that happened this year at Kings Island? KI central event.

What change from 2006 to 2007 was the best? Not sure...transition still going on.

Did Kings Island Central have its best year ever? So far, yes. Has allowed me personally to meet some great people and forge new friendships. I still think each year will get better.

Cedar Fair would also change policies that had been in place for 20+ years after the slightest little miss hape. i under stood that they would make policy changes but some of them were absolutly absurd.

Ahh..

Just as I thought.

Everybody hates change. Mainly because they have never been anywhere else to see if there is a better way of doing things. And it is really not your fault. Hey if your opinion of CF is negative, then that is the way it is. You are certainly not alone.

But there are some facts you may want to consider: CF's leadership has been is the amusement business for many years. Many more years than Paramount's leadership was in the amusement business. And even being in this business for an extended amount of time does not make them perfect, their good decisions far outweigh the bad ones. Overall CF has been successful. Sure they are going to stub their toe once in a while. But what business always makes the correct decisions?

Any decision that was made, was made with the intention of improving the overall guest experiance. Just ask anyone that is in the food service industry. One table will praise the blackened chicken alfredo, and the very next table will complain that it is the worst dish ever. You cannot please everybody. So sure, those guests that were used to Paramount's way of doing things were in for a shock because it is now CF's way of doing things.

The same complaints and issues happened when Paramount took over as well. It is easily defined as growing pains.

Okay, I'll take you up on this. Every decision that was made was made with the intention of improving the guest experience? Let's list a few that can only very tangentially be argued to do that:

* Staff cutbacks

* Salary cuts

* Increases in food pricing and a perceived lowering of food service and quality

* Cutbacks in amounts of supplies and quality of those supplies

* Closure of Geauga Lake's dry side

I suppose the argument is that by reducing costs enough, Cedar Fair will still be in the business so there is a guest experience to improve. But, many of the decisions made have not been made to directly improve the guest experience but rather to address the looming debt which must be paid if the company is to continue first, making its large distributions to unitholders even though it faces massive debt, and ultimately, ensure its future.

Yeah, nothing is perfect.

But we all had many complaints when Paramount was in charge as well.

Unfortunately some changes have an immediate negative effect, but with long term positive solutions.

GL's closing did upset many, but if the attendance did not support the park, there is no reason to throw money into a dry hole.

- Perhaps the staffing in certain areas did suffice the need.

- Were salaries too high to begin with?

- Many parks, as well as most entertainment venues increased amenities such as food service, or were already too high to begin with. CF parks are certainly not the minority there.

- Were the cutbacks necessary?

Do the positives outweigh the negatives? The truth will be told in years to come. Yet right now, I would take CF's past history as a positive step.

CF's trying to salvage money from what they can after many things reducing profit, like FUN stocks.

Huh? What do you mean?

Besides, there is no stock in Cedar Fair. FUN has units...and the difference is key to who can influence the company and decide how its run. It ain't the unitholders...

sorry, I'm bad with the econamy stuff and all that.