Coney Aerial Images Added to Coney Island Central

CoastersRZ

Captain Nemo has taken to the skies, with Gordon Bombay in tow to snap some images of Coney Island from the sky. The images show the general layout of the park, as well as its proximity to the Ohio River, and neighboring River Downs and Riverbend Music Center. There are several images of the under construction National City Pavilion at Riverbend. The National City Pavilion is slated to be completed in June of this year. Construction began last October, when the Giant Slide was removed from the site.

Coney Island Aerial Photos

Enjoy the photos!

Robbie

It's kind of depressing to see Coney during the off season...Still great shots. Can't wait to see more!

On a related topic, that National City Pavillion looks like it will be kind of ugly. The main building is way too tall already..

Yes, I agree. Hopefully the finished building looks a little nicer. It is just a rather massive building, that is relatively tall and over powering for the area and neighboring rides.

Also, I have added a couple of park maps of Coney to the site (from 2002 and 2006), which can be found under the Park Info section.

Additionally, Ronny discovered an old aerial image of Coney that was taken shortly after the park closed in 1971, when Interstate 275 was under construction. That image can be found here.

I don't think of an empty amusement park as depressing, but meerly a side of an amusement park that not many people get to see.

I always enjoy walking through an empty amusment park whether it be during the off season at KI, or just walking though Coney after a concert at Riverbend on my way back to the car. There is a special ambiance about an empty amusement park without the chatter of people and the sounds from games and rides.

Imagine how locals feel as they drive by Geauga Lake, Whalom Park, Old Indiana, LeSourdsville Lake, etc.

Be it as it may, come April 20, Kings Island opens its doors to the public for yet another season. Not long thereafter, Coney Island of Ohio opens for the season.

That's more than can be said for many other parks, sad to say.

The first official event at Coney Island this spring is the Cincinnati Flower Show on the banks of Lake Como from April 19-27. In the past, there have been a few rides along Lake Como open.

The first real weekend for the rides occurs a couple weeks later at the Appalachian Festival on May 9-11. The rides will be open on May 10 and 11th.

The official opening of Sunlite Pool and the classic rides occurs on Memorial Day weekend.

• 4 weeks later...
Any aerial shots of KI coming? :D

The pictures, as great as they turned out don't show the full extent of how overcast the sky truly was. Because we were flying on a visual flight plan, we are not under any circumstances allowed to fly into clouds. Thus, We were unable to provide pictures of Kings Island. The only time you can fly through clouds is on an instrumental flight plan.

Thanks for the kind words about Coney Island Central!

Just as a sign of spring, we are a little more then two months from the annual Cincinnati Flower Show, which is held at Coney Island on the banks of Lake Como. I actually volunteered and helped set up the sustainably designed house display in the Grand Marquee tent for last year`s flower show.

The Flower Show is the first event held at Coney each spring. (In the past some select rides along Lake Como have operated for the Flower Show).

Unfortunately, our collection of historic pictures from Coney`s glory days is somewhat limited. (If any one has historical pictures that they`d be willing to donate to the site, please send me a PM! You would be given credit for your images).

About the best I can do is this, and it is not perfect.

Then

Now

As I said above, that is really the only then and now comparison I can make from our limited historical collection.

Yep. Still there, and here is a link to the page on Coney Island Central on the Rock O Plane. It opened at Coney last year.

I was able to run this ride on numerous occasions last year. I also took the ride for several spins. When you get the cars rocking and spinning, the forces can be quite intense on this ride! Definitely a fun ride. However, just like the Ferris Wheel at Coney and the Monster at KI, the loading process is a timely procedure and thus a short line will still take a considerable amount of time. A full cycle on the Rock O Plane can only seat 16 people (two people in eight cars).

anyone think the new pavillion is gonna cause a "bottleneck" at riverbend?

if you've ever been to a sold out concert, or warped tour you know what i mean.

its hard enough to move... now with limited space on the blacktop outside the lawn and concessions area... we could be looking at some major congestion!

i sure hope not!

great pics... i cant wait to head back to coney this summer

The new National City Pavilion will not be used concurrently with the main Riverbend Pavilion. (Or if they are used concurrently, the actual capacity that can be at Riverbend will NOT increase when the new Pavilion goes online). Additionally, I doubt the new Pavilion will cause bottlenecks for the concession stands. Yes, that pathway might be a little narrower now. But who is to say that they won`t be adding some additional concession stands in the new pavilion to help spread out some of the crowds?

Only time will tell how the foot traffic is impacted by this new structure for certain, however. The building is expected to be completed in June. So far, Riverbend has announced six country concerts, and two other concerts. (But that doesn`t include the Jimmy Buffett concert, which is always a sold out concert every year.) Also, so far there have been no events announced for the new 4,100 seat pavilion yet.

• 1 month later...

In a response in another thread, I mentioned how the current flooding is affecting Coney. Right now, part of Sunlite Pool is flooded with river water, as is the filter room. Additionally, Lake Como is a couple feet higher then normal. Kellogg Avenue yesterday was shut down at Coney`s main entrance gate due to high water to the east, by Riverdowns. Also, the eastern most stretches of Coneys parking lot was flooded. The general park area is not currently flooded.

In a response in another thread, I mentioned how the current flooding is affecting Coney. Right now, part of Sunlite Pool is flooded with river water, as is the filter room. Additionally, Lake Como is a couple feet higher then normal. Kellogg Avenue yesterday was shut down at Coney`s main entrance gate due to high water to the east, by Riverdowns. Also, the eastern most stretches of Coneys parking lot was flooded. The general park area is not currently flooded.

Thanks for the update RZ! Hopefully there is not to much damage.