New Kings Island Parking Lot Sign, Entertainment Lineup Auditions, 2008 Calendar Announced, Season Passes & More!

Kings Island fans have been frantically waiting to see what the new marquee will look like ever since the Paramount logo was removed in October of last year. Today that new sign was finally erected, not only sporting a new look for the park, but ushering in a new era for Kings Island... an era that puts the magic of the movies behind us, and enthralls us with the big thrills, family fun, and traditional atmosphere of Kings Island's new owner, Cedar Fair. Click here to see photos of the new sign being constructed!

Are you a total ham? Destined for Broadway? Kings Island wants to hear from you! Auditions for Kings Island's 2008 entertainment lineup resume on Saturday and Sunday, Feb 16th and 17th at Kings Island. Kings Island is currently looking for singers (particularly with contemporary country experience), character cohorts, musicians (specifically horn and reed instrumentalists), meet & greet characters, and technicians/costumers. Earn some extra cash, build your resume', learn something new and have a blast while doing it! Click here to read the full press release, or go to VisitKingsIsland.com to apply online!

The date that we all have been waiting for has been announced! Sunday, April 20, 2008, will be Kings Island's opening day for the 2008 season! New for 2008! Kings Island will be open FRIDAYS in May! Click here to view Kings Island's 2008 operating schedule and remember to save the date, April 20, 2008!

Purchase your 2008 Kings Island season pass now and receive a FREE Gold Pass Upgrade and get the LOWEST PRICE of the year!

There are now some exciting new options for Kings Island season passes. A Kings Island Gold Pass gives you access to Kings Island's over 50 attractions including some of the world's greatest thrill rides, captivating live shows, games, diverse food and much more! Also with a Gold Season Pass you get special VIP perks such as exclusive ride times, early entrance to Boomerang Bay, discounted meal deals and an exclusive parking area!

New for 2008! Purchase a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass and get free admission and parking at ALL Cedar Fair dry and water parks! This includes, but is not limited to, Kings Island, Cedar Point, Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom, Dorney Park, and Knott's Berry Farm. On top of all of that, any Platinum Pass purchased through Kings Island will have all the privileges of a Gold Pass!

Go to Kings Island's new web site, VisitKingsIsland.com now and purchase your Kings Island Gold Pass or Cedar Fair Platinum Pass!

Are you an avid Kings Island fan or do you casually visit once a year? No Matter! KICentral.com is the site for you. Why not register on the forums of KICentral and tell us about your thoughts and experiences involving Kings Island! Registration is fast, FREE, and easy. Don't forget to keep checking KICentral.com for the latest news, rumors and information about Kings Island amusement park!

Regards,

Ryan

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan, why didn't you tell me you were going up to the park? I would've skipped out on school early like I did last year about this time when you guys were up there shooting Firehawk construction. :P

I love it when people answer their own questions.

School is important, my man. Much more important than a park sign.

Seriously.

Just a couple of facts:

The new part of the sign was manufactured by the same people who made the Paramount sign 2 or 3 years ago.

The lower part of the new portion of the sign is actually the same as the old sign. It was simply refurbished and the new Kings Island logo was installed.

The construction had been pushed back a few times for the completion of this project. The equipment used to install such a massive structure is very expensive to rent so it requires that the construction be done in one day. As a result of this, they had to pick the perfect day to install the signs and today was the day.

Special trucks needed to be used to move this structure. The Kings Island logo-portion of the sign is roughly 13.4 ft, which is only slightly shorter than some overpasses. This required a shorter truck than what you typically see on the road.

The dimensions of the new sign are approximately 42' x 72', which is a few feet shorter than the Paramount Sign since they were able to save a little bit of space by not having the large Paramount logo on it.

The new facade will be redone entirely. The sign is coated in a thick weatherproof vinyl which gives it the appearance you see. In the next few days, new vinyl will be installed and the sign will be repainted yet again to give it a like-new look.

In order to do maintenance on the sign, you can stand at foot of the sign and use a series of ladders and catwalks and make it up to the very top of the structure without having to use any other equipment than what's permanently installed.

Thanks, that answers my question. It really doesn't look much different other then the top half of the sign having a bit of different shape of it. But I'm glad it's being done, it looks nice.

Now when is KI going to announce the new names of Top Gun, TR, IJ etc...?

Nope, just means your opinions not worth as much when it comes to the subject.

Paramount didn't kill KI, they did many good things for the park and it made it one of the best known in the world/nation. The original owners did too, who was the best is up for debate. A debate which someone like browntggr would know more about considering he experienced both.

Gotta agree with Bombay on this one. In the past, I have bashed Paramount and there were many things that were done that I didn't like. However, they did do a lot of good things that I never gave them credit for. So, having experienced KI and PKI, I would definitely say that the original owners did a slightly better job. I would say they were even in ride installments, but not in removals. Also, the earlier owners did a nicer job with the general atmosphere of KI. To me, PKI's worst decision was not installing IJ:ST, but placement of that coaster.

Gotta agree with Bombay on this one. In the past, I have bashed Paramount and there were many things that were done that I didn't like. However, they did do a lot of good things that I never gave them credit for. So, having experienced KI and PKI, I would definitely say that the original owners did a slightly better job. I would say they were even in ride installments, but not in removals. Also, the earlier owners did a nicer job with the general atmosphere of KI. To me, PKI's worst decision was not installing IJ:ST, but placement of that coaster.

Agree 100%.

One of the main reasons that it's refreshing seeing the last vestiges of Paramount be removed.

Have you noticed that nearly half of the rides they put in either have EXTREMELY long lines, terrible upkeep, or both?

the rides at Kings Island are very well maintained.

Exluding TR:TR and SoB.

No, they are. I'll let DeloreanRider handle the Tomb Raider explanation but in short that has more to do with the manufacturer's design with the ride than it does with KI's maintenance. SOB was and still is well maintained. If you read the state investigation regarding the accident you will find that KI's maintenance team was found to have followed protocol. Having worked with them personally I can say that even today they still do an excellent job maintaining that huge wooden coaster.

...Sign Sign everywhere a sign

Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind

Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign . . .

And the sign said everybody welcome, come in, kneel down and pray

But when they passed around the plate at the end of it all,

I didn't have a penny to pay, so I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own little sign

I said thank you Lord for thinking about me, I'm alive and doing fine. . .

© 1970, 2002 Five Man Electrical Band

...Sign Sign everywhere a sign

Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind

Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign . . .

And the sign said everybody welcome, come in, kneel down and pray

But when they passed around the plate at the end of it all,

I didn't have a penny to pay, so I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own little sign

I said thank you Lord for thinking about me, I'm alive and doing fine. . .

© 1970, 2002 Five Man Electrical Band

Ha!! I heard that song on the bus this morning.me and my friend sung along