Cedar Point sticks with Snoopy

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Cedar Point isn't going with Nick, as their new for 08 attraction is a revamped Snoopy area, Planet Snoopy.

What is everyone's take on this news?

You have to be kidding?

Don't they know the value of Nick?

Don't they know that visitors have no interest in Peanuts?

How could they not see the value of putting Nick into the chains Premier Property?

... tongue firmly planted in cheek.

... Almost makes me think that if CF had purchased the parks earlier, we may still have HB in the parks.

^ Yes, but I thought that contract (HB) wasn't set to expire until the end of 2008. So we could still see them in the show this year and disapear next. CF really believes that Snoopy, like Scooby, is a classic that all kids will know, unlike the many Nick shows that have come and gone since Nick was introduced into Kings Island.

Or, having both franchises within the chain adds a little bit of variety and helps attract different markets. Does CF want people to choose CP over KI? Not anymore...they want them to visit both, so it helps to create some distinctions.

And, of course, every six year-old in 2008 prefers Peanuts characters to Nickelodeon! (After their parents explain who the characters are that is...) And, yes--my tongue is also firmly planted in cheek on that one! (My three year old neice is obsessed with "Dora"...but on the up side, she can count in Spanish as well as she can in English ;) )

And, yes, Woofer-- all kids obviously hate Nickelodeon and Disney as much as you do. The ratings, sales, and franchise value assigned to those characters are just a product of the liberal media! ;) (Sorry...couldn't resist some good natured ribbing :lol: )

Looks like Cedar Point isn't going with Nick, as their new for 08 attraction is a revamped Snoopy area, Planet Snoopy.

You have to be kidding?

Don't they know the value of Nick?

-I'm positive they do, hence why they're not paying to expand it into their other parks, it probably wouldn't be a very financially sound decision for Cedar Fair at this time.

Don't they know that visitors have no interest in Peanuts?

-They should. Not saying Peanuts is worthless, but Nick is definitely the better choice.....look at Mall of America. Once managed by Cedar Fair whom used their Peanuts licensing they have decided not to re-new their contract with Cedar Fair and have now opened......Nickelodeon Universe.

... Almost makes me think that if CF had purchased the parks earlier, we may still have HB in the parks.

-Thats nice to think, but that may not have happened. It depends on how much earlier they would have had to buy the parks. The parks were rumored to go on sale at the end of the 2004 season and in early 2005 Viacom announced they were not interested in selling the parks then they split into two separate companies and eventually CBS sold the parks. I'm not sure how long the HB licensing agreements were for but I doubt Viacom/CBS renewed them in favoring of converting the kids areas to Nickelodeon.

Or, having both franchises within the chain adds a little bit of variety and helps attract different markets. Does CF want people to choose CP over KI? Not anymore...they want them to visit both, so it helps to create some distinctions.

And, of course, every six year-old in 2008 prefers Peanuts characters to Nickelodeon! (After their parents explain who the characters are that is...) And, yes--my tongue is also firmly planted in cheek on that one! (My three year old neice is obsessed with "Dora"...but on the up side, she can count in Spanish as well as she can in English ;) )

And, yes, Woofer-- all kids obviously hate Nickelodeon and Disney as much as you do. The ratings, sales, and franchise value assigned to those characters are just a product of the liberal media! ;) (Sorry...couldn't resist some good natured ribbing :lol: )

No, I don't hate Nick and Disney.

In fact, Disney characters (at least most of them) remain absolutely timeless.

Now as far as Nick, it's completly star of the moment. I can't think of one character (save Spongebob) that may be memorable to last half as long as the stable from Disney, Peanuts or even HB.

Is there anyone on the board that even questions that Cedar Point is thought of by CF as the crown jewel in their park chain? You can't honestly tell me that they would not want to have (what you would consider to be the best kid's theming) in your crown jewel.

Unless the cost of licensing and construction (let's face it...the new Snoopy land planned for next year looks to be a pretty minimal capital investment...the majority of it is already there as part of "Kiddie Kingdom" or whatever it's currently called) is prohibitive.

If I was CF and was going to implement Nick at any park, it wouldn't be at CP (I still think that's a good brand difference between the two Ohio parks)--it would be at Knotts.

There was a great article in Variety several months ago about how the Peanuts holiday specials have been declining in ratings for years...their core audience is pretty much maintained by the 35-44 year-old demographic.

Nick has been the number #1 kids network since 1990. Yes, the characters change frequently, but Disney's franchises keep growing as well. (Think about how some of the most popular Disney characters today didn't even exist in 1990.) The trend today is for character franchises to come on big, then fade in a few years. (Five years from now, who's going to lie about their daddy dieing to get free Hanna Montanna tickets?) Theme parks (and other entertainment venues) will be frequently adjusting to meeting the current "in" thing for their desired demographic.

Unless the cost of licensing and construction (let's face it...the new Snoopy land planned for next year looks to be a pretty minimal capital investment...the majority of it is already there as part of "Kiddie Kingdom" or whatever it's currently called) is prohibitive.

Not to mention most of it will probably reused kids rides from Geauga Lake.

Now as far as Nick, it's completly star of the moment. I can't think of one character (save Spongebob) that may be memorable to last half as long as the stable from Disney, Peanuts or even HB.

You can't, but then again you didn't grow up watching Nickelodeon as a kid. I grew up on that stuff in the 90's. On Facebook there are countless groups devoted to people in my age group reliving memories about their favorite Nickelodeon shows.

Disney stays timeless because they constantly re-invent their product and re-introduce it to the market. Where as HB... just kind of went by wayside.

ps0801xq3.jpg

Mod Edit: Image resized to decrease loading time. For full resolution version vist:

http://www.cedarpoint.com/_upload/pressphotos/PS0801.jpg

Cedar Fair and Point has going with Penuts and Snoopy for years,

What makes you think that purchasing a couple of parks with Nick themeing will make them change?

P.S. I'm on your side, I know that Cedar Fair is ignorant in the fact that most kids care more for Nick than Penuts.

You can't, but then again you didn't grow up watching Nickelodeon as a kid. I grew up on that stuff in the 90's. On Facebook there are countless groups devoted to people in my age group reliving memories about their favorite Nickelodeon shows.

But that's kids in our demographic. Not today's kids. Personally, if I saw Rocko from Rocko's Modern Life walking around right now, I'd wonder how they got that costume, because he's virtually extinct. That's probably where a lot of today's shows will be in 5 years. CP has a lasting name in Snoopy, and even though you don't see him all over the TV, that makes Cedar Point stand out. A child might like the cute dog they see all over the park, and the only place to see it is at Cedar Point. I think it's a smart decision, personally.

Cedar Fair and Point has going with Penuts and Snoopy for years,

What makes you think that purchasing a couple of parks with Nick themeing will make them change?

-Because, if you had been following the acquisition of the Parmount Parks by Cedar Fair then you would know that Kinzel and company were/are considering expanding the Nick branded licensing to other parks and debating if they will renew licensing agreements to keep Nick in the former Paramount parks. The results of those licensing negotiations have not been confirmed yet which is what makes the camp snoopy announcement interesting.

P.S. I'm on your side, I know that Cedar Fair is ignorant in the fact that most kids care more for Nick than Penuts.

Nowhere did Uncle Henry say he believes Cedar Fair to be ignorant.

But that's kids in our demographic. Not today's kids. Personally, if I saw Rocko from Rocko's Modern Life walking around right now, I'd wonder how they got that costume, because he's virtually extinct. That's probably where a lot of today's shows will be in 5 years. CP has a lasting name in Snoopy, and even though you don't see him all over the TV, that makes Cedar Point stand out. A child might like the cute dog they see all over the park, and the only place to see it is at Cedar Point. I think it's a smart decision, personally.

I wasn't saying Nick is a better choice because I remember it, I was stating that he doesn't find Nick appealing because he didn't grow up with it, just as I don't find newer Disney stuff appealing cause it's not what I'm growing up with. The point was that its what the kids are watching is what seems like it may be best. Today's shows may be forgotten in 5 years but the marketing potential of the current demographic is pretty strong.

I do not think so, Our kids area is absolutely inundated with fun rides for kids as well as the whole family. I think we could lose the great Nick theming replaced with something which may be slightly less known (which is up for debate) and still be ok, due to the sheer size of our kids area!

I do not think so, Our kids area is absolutely inundated with fun rides for kids as well as the whole family. I think we could lose the great Nick theming replaced with something which may be slightly less known (which is up for debate) and still be ok, due to the sheer size of our kids area!

Well Said, Cory. I am always surprised when I walk in there about how well it's set up and all the rides, the amazing themeing.

If we switch to Snoopy, I will cry.

Exactly what I was thinking.

And everyone might want to get used to Peanuts. What's going to happen when the Nick licensing runs out?

Exactly what I was thinking.

And everyone might want to get used to Peanuts. What's going to happen when the Nick licensing runs out?

Oh, I don't know, they renew it?

Then the kids will be upset the first time they go to the park and see characters that aren't Nickelodeon characters, but then when they see that the new characters are still fun and huggable, everything will still be fine. :P

Then the kids will be upset the first time they go to the park and see characters that aren't Nickelodeon characters, but then when they see that the new characters are still fun and huggable, everything will still be fine. :P

So you would assume, however I doubt that the removal of Nickelodeon charecters or theming would have a positive or non-existent affect on attendance.

May I be the first (and maybe the last on this board) to say whew! Thank God!

Kudos to Cedar Point for staying with the classic Peanuts and not going with Nick (aka the united states of mexico network)

Cedar Point being an old time classic park should have something classic, rather than the latest fad.

Not to mention how many parks have nick? I'd rather have something more unique to cp than copying other parks.

Plus it's good to have something that appeals to all ages, you know while the kids are on the rides the parents and grandparents are soaking up the atmosphere and I don't think too many of those care about something as juvenile as nick educational programming, Snoopy is something that can have a much broader appeal not just the 5 year olds.

Snoopy is classic, nick goes from one passing fad to the next.

Nick = The Back Street Boys

Snoopy = The Beatles

I know I don't have the more popular view and will probably get ripped but hey opinions make the world go round