Hong Kong Disneyland To Expand

What has amazed me over the years is how Disney continues to repeat this event. I understand their parks cost a butt load of money to build, but they have done this several times.

- Disney MGM Studios (when it first opened, wow!)

- Animal Kingdom (very few attractions)

- Disney's California Adventure (well documented)

- Disney Studio Paris

- Hong Kong Disneyland

Of course Hong Kong Disneyland was partly funded by the government. Maybe they should have thrown more money in to get a more finished product to start with? But in fairness, Disney has a well documented history of this problem.

Not necessarily that grand. I went to Animal Kingdom at WDW back when it had very few attractions and almost no people. I'd prefer a busy day at any zoo than to go to that Animal Kingdom we visited back then.

If you time your Disney visits wisely, you can go to the current Disney parks without having to battle large crowds. I'd NEVER go to Disney during the summer, on weekends or around the holidays. Others love it then, but I prefer less crowded, less frantic parks! :)

Not necessarily that grand. I went to Animal Kingdom at WDW back when it had very few attractions and almost no people. I'd prefer a busy day at any zoo than to go that Animal Kingdom we visited back then.

If you time your Disney visits wisely, you can go to the current Disney parks without having to battle large crowds. I'd NEVER go to Disney during the summer, on weekends or around the holidays. Others love it then, but I prefer less crowded, less frantic parks! :)

I personally think the best time to visit Disney is in the fall.

Relatively light crowds and the weather is not oppressive.

What arrangement does/did Disney have with the Hong Kong government to build Hong Kong Disneyland?

During my visit to Disney World in early June of 2004, crowds were light to moderate. About the longest line we ever waited in was an hour for Test Track. Other wise, lines were in the order of fifteen to thirty minutes. And we took full advantage of the fast passes, avoiding hour long lines on several rides including Rock `n` Roller Coaster, and Star Tours. Sadly, I was not able to ride Expedition Everest, as it was still under construction. One of these days, I hope to get back to Disney.

I know Hong Kong differs from China mainland.. but American (all foreign maybe?) companies have to be involved with China somehow.

Not positive about the facts but for example...

GM couldnt just go to Shanghai and setup shop. A new company that originated out of China (SAIC) had to startup and become a joint venture with GM for operations to begin. It was the same way for all of the auto companies.

I may be wrong but I believe its a requirement for them to form the venture with domestic firms so they can enter the market. (So China could benefit from the increased control maybe?)

I would assume Disney had to reach this same agreement.. althought now that I think about it, theres about a million McDonalds, KFC's and Pizza Huts in China but they dont have any different branding on them. Who knows, maybe Im just hear to confuse you (intrigue you perhaps?)

:blink:

Do your research, I sure didnt lol

• 1 year later...

Hong Kong Disneyland To Expand:

HONG KONG -- Disney and the Hong Kong government have agreed a plan to expand the struggling Hong Kong Disneyland theme park.

The new development will expand the number of "lands" from three at present to seven and cost HK$3 billion-$4 billion ($387 million-$515 million).

The deal comes after many months of negotiations and also rejigs the four-year-old park's ownership structure.

While Disney will pay for the new construction, the Hong Kong government will convert some HK$6 billion ($775 million) of its existing loans to the park into equity. Nevertheless, its share stake in the park will drop by a few percentage points from its current 57%, although the government will retain majority ownership....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...d128951eedcf351

• 3 weeks later...