Vortex

RaCeR

So for that reason I should not be so cavalier about not buckling up on Magnum??

Not buckling up on a ride is VERY dangerous. As you heared, the lady died because she didn't use her restraints.

With the Airtime that Magnum gives you, not buckling up could cause not necesarly death, but you could have two likely things:

1. Injury to your legs and midsection,

2. a grumpy ride op. yelling at you and busting your butt.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anything, buckle up on the rides because it's the law.

Note my #2 thing.

If you don't buckle up on a ride, you may never enter ride that ride again.

Note your #2 what?

It means absolutely nothing.

Not buckling up on a ride is VERY dangerous. As you heared, the lady died because she didn't use her restraints.

With the Airtime that Magnum gives you, not buckling up could cause not necesarly death, but you could have two likely things:

1. Injury to your legs and midsection,

2. a grumpy ride op. yelling at you and busting your butt.

Didn't someone die like that on a ride like King Cobra?

No.

Also the ride in Japan did not have someone fall out due to not wearing their restraint, it was more like this:

expoland2.jpg

expoland.jpg

Uh, actually someone DID die like that on a ride like King Cobra, to wit: Shockwave at Kings Dominion. See my post earlier in this thread:

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=195016

So for that reason I should not be so cavalier about not buckling up on Magnum??

Not buckling up on a ride is VERY dangerous.

and that is why everyone who rode The Beast,before they added seat belts died or was seriously hurt <_<

same with Vortex,The Racers, and Son of Beast

o.k. maybe Son of Beast wasn't the best example :P

All the computers and what not have redunt systems keeping us safe on the rides why not let the restraint have a redunt system too after all it is what is keeping safe inside the cars. Do everyone a favor and just use the belt it helps keeps us safe and keeps the park in good name.

O yea dont forget to buckle up in the car too.

(I almost got a ticket for that one)

The pimary purpose of the restraint systems on a coaster like Vortex is the psychological comfort of the passenger. Unless there is a derailment or a crash. During normal operation of the ride, looping coasters are designed so that the G-forces and inertia will actually hold the passenger in the seat, rendering the entire restraint system redundant.

I would suggest the following experiment. When you get on Vortex, take two or three pennies out of your pocket and place them in your lap or on the floor. They will not fall out even though they are not restrained. This is how I helped my children overcome their fear of going upside down.

Nice, I suppose, except loose articles are not permitted on the ride and are, strictly speaking, a violation of the Ohio Rider Responsibility laws, are they not?

Probably technically.... But with pennies, you always have the excuse "Hmmm...They must have fallen out of my pocket" And, by the way, I did that in the back car so that, in case they did happen to fall out, they wouldn't hit anyone sitting behind us. I wasn't 100 percent confident in that experiment. But it did work.

No.

Also the ride in Japan did not have someone fall out due to not wearing their restraint, it was more like this:

expoland2.jpg

expoland.jpg

Uh, actually someone DID die like that on a ride like King Cobra, to wit: Shockwave at Kings Dominion. See my post earlier in this thread:

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=195016

You're right, I knew someone had died on shockwave. When I posted this I meant it to be a reply to the part about a ride in Japan by togo that had an accident in an earlier post. I think I quoted the wrong person. Sometimes you post before you think or realize what you've said. (definately happens with some more than others aswell)

Nice, I suppose, except loose articles are not permitted on the ride and are, strictly speaking, a violation of the Ohio Rider Responsibility laws, are they not?

Yea but unfortunately there is a huge grey area between loose articles and secured articles that rarely gets addressed. Like for instance a basketball being held on The Beast by a guest being considered secured and the train sent. Then the basketball being thrown during the ride becomeing a loose article. (I think several people know what I'm talking about)

This also holds true with things like backpacks and purses being that technically the park is not supposed to hold purses makes things even more difficult. Makes your head hurt so bad after a while that it makes you want to rent a locker and ride in your underwear, ;) .

The pimary purpose of the restraint systems on a coaster like Vortex is the psychological comfort of the passenger. Unless there is a derailment or a crash. During normal operation of the ride, looping coasters are designed so that the G-forces and inertia will actually hold the passenger in the seat, rendering the entire restraint system redundant.

I would suggest the following experiment. When you get on Vortex, take two or three pennies out of your pocket and place them in your lap or on the floor. They will not fall out even though they are not restrained. This is how I helped my children overcome their fear of going upside down.

O.K. I have held back long enough. The only restraint on a roller coaster that is "redundant" is the belt from the otsr to the seat. The primary restraints on a roller coaster are THERE TO HOLD YOU IN, G-forces will not hold every one in. There are too many considerations such as weight, and even the shape of the object. Roller coasters are designed with the least amount of G's possible and still provide a thrill for the rider. Coasters with high G's are designed that way because a certain element requires it. (Example: a certain element was removed from a new roller coaster at CP last summer because of this problem). If The Vortex were designed to hold you in without restraints, then they would make every one put on a G-suit before riding. As for the psychological part, yes you got part of that right, it is actually for the psychological comfort of the designer knowing that the passengers are safe on the ride. Designers are very conscious of how a rider feels on a ride, and comfort and safety is priority. Psychological comfort is the part that is redundant. There are a couple of aspiring designers that have posted on this board before, some have internships with design firms. I would suggest that you hunt them down and ask them before you make an assumption like this.

Everyone has had rather intresting points as to why seatbelts are or are not necessary.

I'll take the easy one(s):

- Lower insurance premiums with the use of belts. The park can use that extra money somewhere else in the park.

- Easy insurance. Sure restraints are supposed to be "fail-safe". But with a belt, it makes it even more "safe".

Never bring your backpack with you onto Flight of Fear.

I've never understood the need for persons to carry a backpack around a park all day. Other than a change of clothes for the waterpark (which can be left in a car, or locker) what purpose does the back-pack serve younger male guests?

When I worked at KI (and on FOF) we instructed people with backpacks or purses to set them on the floor of the ride, while putting legs through the straps. Not that complicated.

Shaggy

No.

expoland2.jpg

expoland.jpg

Where was this at and did anyone die during this accident.

I never understoond why would anyone take a packback into the park unless your a parent,grandparent or have kids with you.

I usually take a small back pack thing with me to hold my camera, cell phone, park maps (i collect them), and drinks(keeps them colder). But i hate when those basketball player people bring them for no reason.

my question is why did the train tip where it did? i could see it tipping over where they just came out of a turn, but not a loop :blink:

That just happens to be where the axel broke.

The funny thing is, Japanese safety standards are much different than US standards. In Japan, coasters are to have a walkway on almost every part of a coaster (or wherever they can possibly have a walkway). It just happened that the walkway in the pic is what ended up crushing the riders when the train derailed. The unfortunate thing is, this particular park did not follow Togo's specs concerning the axels.

All the computers and what not have redunt systems keeping us safe on the rides why not let the restraint have a redunt system too after all it is what is keeping safe inside the cars. Do everyone a favor and just use the belt it helps keeps us safe and keeps the park in good name.

O yea dont forget to buckle up in the car too.

(I almost got a ticket for that one)

I'm With Monroe.

Kings Island would Not take the time, effort, and money to install the restraints if they were,

Reduntant!

They are to keep you in.

Have you ever seen Final Destination 3?

Well, that's one of the many reasons that they have the seatbelts.

Over all,

BUCKLE UP! It's the law.