How do you feel about the new ride names?

BoddaH1994

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I`ve said it before. I am in the select minority with the following statement. I actually do not mind the name Flight Deck. I think it conveys the overall theme of Top Gun relatively well. Although there could have been better alternatives, like The Jet Coaster, but even that is rather bland sounding. With time, these names might grow on us. But just like when Flight of Fear lost the name Outer Limits, people still to this day refer to the ride as Outer Limits, more then six years after that name disappeared from the ride.

To me, Flight Deck is bad... but Backlot Stunt Coaster??? Are you kidding me? I've seen more creativity in the Bengals' defense. If it were up to me, that coaster wouldn't be there anyway and the Eagles would still be flyin'. ;)

The Crypt is a great name. I think it really fits the ride well. Lets just hope they will work on the insides and get the effects up and running before opening.

I wasn't much of a fan about Flight Deck at the beginning, but I think it's starting to grow on me. Like CoastersRZ said, it does convey the ride's theme well. While they could have thought up something better, it's still no the worst I've ever heard. Maybe they'll even fix up the station now that it's getting a new name. And have they said anywhere specifically that "Danger Zone" won't be playing there anymore? Because last I checked, Paramount didn't own trademarks on the music played at the park.

BLSC isn't that great either, but I really don't care much about it. And honestly, there wasn't a whole lot they could do for the name without having to pull out a lot of the theming (which I'm sure they didn't want to have to do).

I like The Crypt, absolutely detest "Flight Deck", and actually somewhat like Backlot Stunt Coaster (BSC isnt a bad TLA!). TG and IJ will always be their original names to me, but I actually kind of like BSC. I just hope the rides get a little TLC. I don't care to read the signs, I just want to ride the rides!

Although woefully lacking in originality and creativity, Flight Deck and The Crypt do fit the descriptions of the rides. Backlot Stunt Coaster? Perhaps they will retheme it to contain things that are commonly seen in backlots: Dumpsters, loading docks caked with years worth of unidentified swill, broken beer bottles, abandoned tires and appliances, overgrown weeds, a couple of 12 year old kids smoking, a car with two teenagers making out in the back seat...... etc. I don't particularly care for that name.

I was wondering how you guys feel about the new deParamounted names of the rides. I picked the three most major changes (since the forums only allow for 3 polls per topic) so let's share our opinions.

i really like the crypt just because it sorta fits in with the themeing from tomb raider

backlot is o.k.(i'm just glad my mini's arn't leaving)

flight deck just sounds stupid. i think a monkey could have came up with a better name

Invertigo doesn't make since to me they shouldn't have mixed inversion with vertigo

Dude I truthfully hate all of those deParamount name come on ''Flight Deck''? Weak those are so ill fated names its like they went about it all lazy and just named them whatever they could think of not an inch of creative juice.

No Sir I dont like em!

Doesn't seem that much imagination was used in naming.

They could've at least renamed F/O QUAKE, seeing as how the ground, station, and queue line roof shake every time the coaster's in motion. Not to mention it sounds like a literal earthquake at certain points of the ride.

I wonder if there was a chance to rename the whole Action Zone area to Disaster Zone, or Disaster Alley, what with Delirium making you feel like you're in the middle of a twister, 'Invertigo' sounding and feeling like an earthquake, and Congo Falls is like a massive flood.....type....ride.

Then they could've re-named/re-vamped Top Gun into a ride based off of a forest fire or something (insert Smokey the Bear jokes here), thus calling it WILDFIRE, or for the more extreme folk, WYLDFYRE, with Y's instead of I's. Yeah, that's extreme to the max.

Delirium - stays the same

Face/Off - Quake

Congo Falls - Monsoonae (weird African-type way of spelling it), Maelstrom

Drop Zone - stays the same

Top Gun - Wildfire (non-extreme to the MIN), Wyldfyre (totally extreme to the MAX)

Son of Beast - stays the same

Days of Thunder - stays the same as Thunder Alley (sounds good to me)

Skyflyer - ....I got nothing.

The only problem is Universal just "refurbished" their Earthquake attraction into DISASTER! A Major Motion Picture Ride...starring YOU! So, yeah, that pretty much just killed that concept right there. :mellow:

Well you can't blame Cedar Fair for Invertigo, Vekoma actually came up with that name as it's the generic name of the ride. Paramount decided to name Great America's Inverted Boomrange Invertigo. And since they are the same ride, I guess Cedar Fair decided to call KI's Invertigo as well.

The only ride I could even see getting a paint job would be Flight Deck. Invertigo was just painted back in 2005. The Crypt is inside, so no need for a new paint job there. That leaves Backlot Stunt Coaster. And that ride is only three years old, so it too does not need a new paint job (as far as the current paint being faded or peeling). I doubt we see much in cosmetic changes to these rides, simply because those cost money. And Cedar Fair is watching every penny right now.

So you are saying Intamin's name boomeranged on them?

Personally, I like "Crypt" It really does fit the theming.

"Flight Deck" It does not really bother me. Imagine to yourselves for just one moment that Cedar Fair is building a brand new coaster. A suspended roller coaster similar to Iron Dragon, and Dueling Dragons. And they were going to introduce the new ride for the 2008 season. ( AGAIN, I WOULD LIKE TO PUSH THAT THIS IS JUST "IMAGINE IF" )

And in this imagined world, everyone knew that the ride was being built, but the official name had not yet been released to the general public or the press. And then, ( again in this imaginary place ) the name is finally released.

-FLIGHT DECK-. And along with this ride came new colors to the park, and a new font style for the the attraction's sign, and pictures, etc. Everyone here knows the extent in which parks go to advertise their rides. In this imagined scenario, would "Flight Deck" be much less entriguing than "Firehawk" was a year ago? Because I think that it would be just as exciting.

Backlot Stunt Coaster......the same scenario, but honestly, I just don't like the ride. I know that a lot of people disagree with me on this, ( and I truly do respect you all ) but I just never learned to like it. I finally decided to ride it a couple of times. Once the effects were working and once they were not, and on my 2nd ride, there was this hilarious guy actually yelling out "OK, now this....would totally be happening, and then there was like this BOOM, and ....etc. He was actually pretty funny. But, no, it just never grew on me. It's not to say that it never will, but as of right now, no.

And at a park in Valdosta Georgia, "Wild Adventures" which actually reminded me of what Kings Island was like pre-paramount ( Wild Adventures is only going on 11 years of operation ) there is this coaster which is just like Face-Off, except for this coaster is not suspended. It's very fitting name is "Boomerang" which I actually enjoyed. This is a very nice park, and they are putting more money into each new project with each new year. Last year, for example, the park replaced their original amphitheatre with a new one,which was to be the largest amphitheatre in the country upon it's opening. ( I do not know if it still is or not...probably though. ) Anyways, "Wild Adventures"...check it out.

m.f.

My only problem with the name Flight Deck is that I think of an actual Flight Deck....an aircraft sitting on the top level of an aircraft carrier. Sure, that works fine for Top Gun's theme....but what theming did Top Gun really have anymore? Some billboards with the planes on them I guess. But I think it would have been better just naming it a generic CF hawk name like "Skyhawk" :rolleyes: and giving it some new paint.