How do you feel about the new ride names?

BoddaH1994

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can explain where these titles came from:

One day in an Office:

Boss: "So Tim, how's the new ride names coming along?"

Tim: "Uhm... Uh.... (looks down to blank paperwork and brainstorming idea paper) Uhhhh...."

Boss: "Any day now."

Tim: "Uhhh! ( thinks off top of head) Invertigo, Flight Deck, The Crypt, Uhmm... Backlot Stunt Coaster, Drop Tower and Thunder Road!"

Boss: (pauses for 5 seconds) "I LOVE IT!!!"

These changes in ride names are seriously making me question if I want to go to KI this season.

Before you start rolling your eyes, I understand that the rides will be exactly the same. However, it just makes me feel like the park is a more generic place than it was. Probably isn't rational, but it would be like if I went to McDonald's and they gave me a "Double Decker" (Big Mac), and I washed it down with a "Cola" (Coke). Is it the same food? Probably. However, it just gives you a cheaped-out feel.

One day in an Office:

Tim: "Uhm... Uh.... (looks down to blank paperwork and brainstorming idea paper) Uhhhh...."

Tim: "Uhhh! ( thinks off top of head) Invertigo, Flight Deck, The Crypt, Uhmm... Backlot Stunt Coaster, Drop Tower and Thunder Road!"

Grit your teeth,

Bear the load,

Enjoy your ride,

On Thunder Road.

ONLY at Carowinds...

You mean Thunder Alley, not Thunder Road.

Yep. For those of you who had not heard, Drop Zone is now known as "Drop Tower" according to Kings Island`s website here. Although, it still mentions Drop Zone in the ride description. I believe that Drop Tower is a new low for ride naming from Cedar Fair.

AHHHHH MY BABY HAS BEEN RENAMED!!!!!

Is a 12 year old playing Rollercoaster tycoon coming up with these names? Drop Tower come on we can do better than that Cedar Fair.

That'd be a good joke. Name it Drop Tower 1 and see how many people say, "Drop Tower 1 seems too intense for me."

Ahahahaha, That made me giggle!

The renaming of Drop Zone to Drop Tower, leaves a sour taste in my mouth with the ride renaming. I agree with KIfan73, The ride names now seem so generic, and it gives me the feeling that the magical experiences I had as a younger kid are gone with the name changes. I realize the rides are still the same, its more mental than anything.

For you Interpreter, I'm sure it would be like Disney renaming "It's a small world" to "World Tour".

I`m going to play devil`s advocate here for a bit. You claim that these new names sound generic. But, before they were simply named after Paramount Properties to begin with. The people involved with the rides original naming didn`t really use much creativity either. They just slapped a name on the ride. Look at the Tomb Raider franchise. It was used on different types of rides even.

And, on the subject of generic. Its not like the rides with the same name at several parks didn`t already exist before Cedar Fair took over. Heck, that has been a practice at the KECO parks back in the days of Lindner (look at Vortex as a prime example (KI and Carowinds)).

Yes, I agree that Drop Tower is perhaps the worst name they could have renamed the ride. The Roller Coaster Tycoon comment is spot on. And I agree, the lack of creativity in the names, causes these rides to loose a little "luster." I don`t mind any of the names really, except for Drop Tower. (I, unlike most people, have no problem with Flight Deck).

But even with past owners before Paramount, there were original and interesting/creative names:

- Wheel of Fortune

- Skylab

- Bavarian Beetle

- Adventure Express

- Thunder Road

- Vortex

- Der Spinnin Keggers

- Flying Dutchman

- Shake, Rattle, and Roll

Not to mention Paramount gave us some pretty wild names for some pretty wild rides:

- Drop Zone

- Face/Off

- Delirium

- Top Gun

- Flight of Fear

- Boomerang Bay

- Tomb Raider: The Ride

The thing that bothers me is that Cedar Fair had well over a year to come up with new names for the Paramount rides; it feels as if they only had a day. Maybe less.

And to think that this is from the same company that came up with the names to:

- GhostRider

- Sierra Sidewinder

- Silver Bullet

- Millenium Force

- Raptor

- Top Thrill Dragster

- Maverick

- Renegade

- maXair

- Wicked Twister, etc.

These changes in ride names are seriously making me question if I want to go to KI this season.

Before you start rolling your eyes, I understand that the rides will be exactly the same. However, it just makes me feel like the park is a more generic place than it was. Probably isn't rational, but it would be like if I went to McDonald's and they gave me a "Double Decker" (Big Mac), and I washed it down with a "Cola" (Coke). Is it the same food? Probably. However, it just gives you a cheaped-out feel.

I'm confused.

When you go to another park that is not a movie theme park, or a former movie theme park, do you still get the same "cheaped-out feel"?

One day in an Office:

Grit your teeth,

Bear the load,

Enjoy your ride,

On Thunder Road.

ONLY at Carowinds...

You mean Thunder Alley, not Thunder Road.

Oops. :blink:

I'm confused.

When you go to another park that is not a movie theme park, or a former movie theme park, do you still get the same "cheaped-out feel"?

How many other amusement parks are former movie theme parks?

The only other major amusement park I've been to was Cedar Point. And, yes, I thought that the atmosphere there was a bit plain in comparison to KI. I've always liked KI because its always seemed to be a classy place. I never did care for smaller amusement parks, or any place that had a "carnival" feel to it...In a nutshell, I'm not an amusement park person, but mainly a KI person.

Like I said, sure, the rides are the same. I guess when you like a place so well, you just worry a bit if it seems to be taken in a direction that you're not sure about.

Well, there's still Movietown at Six Flags Great Adventure, not to mention the Disney Studios Park or Universal Studios . . . but then all of those are theme parks. It will be interesting, VERY interesting, to see if Cedar Fair keeps the former Paramount Parks as theme parks or steers them more in an amusement park direction...if it can even be said they WERE theme parks under Paramount. Quite frankly, the parks were far more themed in the KECO days. Oktoberfest theming now, for instance, is little more than a sign.

Don't forget that CGA also has a Vortex.

But I can't agree more, we all thought Flight Deck was bad, but I think Drop Tower should go down as the worst name yet.

CWA has a Vortex too...

I think the name for drop zone should be like Death Fall...and at least they didnt name IJ:ST to Car Ride Through an Unknown City.

But I can't agree more, we all thought Flight Deck was bad, but I think Drop Tower should go down as the worst name yet.

CWA has a Vortex too...

I think the name for drop zone should be like Death Fall...and at least they didnt name IJ:ST to Car Ride Through an Unknown City.

Given what happened this past season to another drop ride, I'm surprised Drop Zone wasn't named "Safety Tower".

CWA has a Vortex too...

That is NOT going to happen. Think about Kentucky Kingdom. The LAST thing any park wants to associate a Drop Tower with right now is death or injury.

And what's CWA?

Great! Right as the new names were beginning to grow on me (maybe not Flight Deck just yet), Cedar Fair comes out with their latest naming masterpiece: Drop Tower. Geez, what a great idea, they should rename all rides to a description of the ride itself.

Beast - Wood Coaster

Vortex - Twisty Steel Track

White Water Canyon - Rafts on Rough Water

Adventure Express - Mine Train

Racer - Side-by-side Coaster

Firehawk - Flying Coaster

Eiffel Tower - 1/3 Replica of the real Eiffel Tower

Oh man with names like that I should be head of whatever department they have in charge of naming the rides at Cedar Fair, I have their strategy down!

Drop Tower is by far the worst name they could've come up with, it seems like they couldn't care less.

And Browntggr, you say it doesn't matter what the ride is named because it is still the same ride. I have kinda picked up on the fact that one of the big problems most people had about Paramount was not the rides they added, because most were pretty good, but the fact that they let the atmosphere of the park go to waste. I don't know about you but for me ride names add somewhat to the atmosphere of the park and generic, unimaginative ride names kind of give the impression that they were afterthoughts and that Cedar Fair could care less. Not exactly the kind of image you want, and I I just hope that if we do get the coaster in 2009 that many people believe we are, I hope they spend more than 5 minutes naming it, I would rather not have to hear New in 2009, HyperCoaster! Just my 2 cents.

Edit -- v I changed it.

...Drop Tower is by far the worst name they could've come up with, it seems like they could really care less....

If there ever was a time when a poster meant: "it seems like they couldN'T care less," this is it. If they could care less, that means they care at least some, and perhaps even greatly. Or perhaps you just meant when it comes to names they are careless!