How do you feel about the new ride names?

BoddaH1994

So you are saying Intamin's name boomeranged on them?

Personally, I like "Crypt" It really does fit the theming.

"Flight Deck" It does not really bother me. Imagine to yourselves for just one moment that Cedar Fair is building a brand new coaster. A suspended roller coaster similar to Iron Dragon, and Dueling Dragons. And they were going to introduce the new ride for the 2008 season. ( AGAIN, I WOULD LIKE TO PUSH THAT THIS IS JUST "IMAGINE IF" )

And in this imagined world, everyone knew that the ride was being built, but the official name had not yet been released to the general public or the press. And then, ( again in this imaginary place ) the name is finally released.

-FLIGHT DECK-. And along with this ride came new colors to the park, and a new font style for the the attraction's sign, and pictures, etc. Everyone here knows the extent in which parks go to advertise their rides. In this imagined scenario, would "Flight Deck" be much less entriguing than "Firehawk" was a year ago? Because I think that it would be just as exciting.

Backlot Stunt Coaster......the same scenario, but honestly, I just don't like the ride. I know that a lot of people disagree with me on this, ( and I truly do respect you all ) but I just never learned to like it. I finally decided to ride it a couple of times. Once the effects were working and once they were not, and on my 2nd ride, there was this hilarious guy actually yelling out "OK, now this....would totally be happening, and then there was like this BOOM, and ....etc. He was actually pretty funny. But, no, it just never grew on me. It's not to say that it never will, but as of right now, no.

And at a park in Valdosta Georgia, "Wild Adventures" which actually reminded me of what Kings Island was like pre-paramount ( Wild Adventures is only going on 11 years of operation ) there is this coaster which is just like Face-Off, except for this coaster is not suspended. It's very fitting name is "Boomerang" which I actually enjoyed. This is a very nice park, and they are putting more money into each new project with each new year. Last year, for example, the park replaced their original amphitheatre with a new one,which was to be the largest amphitheatre in the country upon it's opening. ( I do not know if it still is or not...probably though. ) Anyways, "Wild Adventures"...check it out.

m.f.

Just curious as to why you think Wild Adventures is like KI of Old. I've not been there in a couple years but really don't see any comparison to KI of Old or KI of New.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno....to me, 'Flight Deck' sounds more suited to be the nickname for the ride's station, not the whole ride experience itself.

I don't know how, but the name 'Sky Pirate' popped into my head just now.

well it is a great name for top gun beings majority of the time you are in the train you are in the station :P

I always enjoyed when the rides were themed to a movie. I actually did get a little caught up in the excitement of that. So, I guess, I'm going to miss that a little bit. I always had a little bit of the feeling that the ride was the part of something a little bigger, rather then just an amusement park ride in Cincinnati.

someone mentioned it before a day or so ago about CF not being original on Ride names. That seems to have been across the board from Paramount days... and before.

Paramount Years reused names:

Top Gun, Flight of Fear, IJST, Fairly Odd, Runaway Reptar, Boomerang Bay, etc...

Even before Paramount:

Thunder Road was going to be used more than once, Vortex, White Water Canyon, Eiffel Tower (attraction, not name), The Beast / Bush Beast,

The all do it. It is a marketing dollars and cents thing.

I don't think the new names are too bad:

The Crypt is a good name and very descriptive of the former TR:TR.

Invertigo is also a descriptive and fitting name for the former Face/Off; the only thing I don't like is that there's now no differentiation between the KI and CGA models.

Although I still feel it could be removed for a more up to date and non-pay attraction Thunder Alley is actually a pretty good name.

Backlot Stunt Coaster is a so-so name. I think Backlot Stunt Track or something entirely different would've been better. I don't really like ride names with the word "coaster" in them.

Flight Deck is not a very good name. It sounds like the name for the loading area on Xtreme Skyflyer or the station on the former Top Gun. Some more work could've gone into coming up with a name for this one.

I honestly could really care less what the names are changed to.

It is not going to change the ride experience in the least bit, nor is it going to change the way I feel about a ride (i.e. "Man the name of this ride $ucks, I'm not going on it.)

There are much bigger & more important things to be upset with.

It is not going to change the ride experience in the least bit, nor is it going to change the way I feel about a ride (i.e. "Man the name of this ride $ucks, I'm not going on it.)

so are they going to paint over the italian job billboard or what?

This would be the most intelligent post I've read so far. Who REALLY cares about the names anyways? It won't change a thing. I hear a lot of people complaining about the name changes and have read some of their own suggestions...from what I have read, I'd rather go with what CF re-named these rides.

I say, about the coaster formerly known as Top Gun:

TAER IT DOWN!!! WORST NAME EVAR!! "Flight Deck?! More like FLIGHT DRECK!!"

Honestly, I don't mind the new name for the rides, either. I still hope to eventually see the removal of the big box warehouse in Rivertown, but not too bad doing the dirty deed of letting go of somebody else's trademarks.

I think that the new names are a step in the right direction. Paramount no longer owns the park, nor does any of its affiliates. Why should CF pay money to Paramount to maintain names that do not relate to its business and don't augment its revenues?

How do you know that the Paramount names don't help revenues? And how do names of rides that have been in the park for upwards of 14 years not relate to Cedar Fair's business? I think its a big risk for any company to go through and change the names of some its biggest attractions.

^ I really think you are putting too much stock into what the general public thinks about the naming of rides.

Many of them probably don't even know that Paramount does not own the park anymore.

And for that matter, some don't even associate the ride name with a movie. We have already seen that here where some did not know that Face Off and Drop Zone were movies.

Can you really see a person actually saying; "Nah, I'm not going to Kings Island. They changed the names of their rides."

And if naming rides after Paramount movies did attribute to increased revenues, Paramount would have just let CF keep the names of the rides. Certainly free advertisment is better than no advertisment.

The reason that Cedar Fair changed the names of the rides, is that they likely did not want to pay to renew the licenses for the ride names. Cedar Fair doesn`t have excess cash to be flinging around, especially at ride names that would offer little, if any, return on investment.

^ Yes.

Which is the exact reason why Chef said this:

I think that the new names are a step in the right direction. Paramount no longer owns the park, nor does any of its affiliates. Why should CF pay money to Paramount to maintain names that do not relate to its business and don't augment its revenues?

At this point, it would actually benefit Paramount more by just letting CF keep the ride names for free.

Again, free advertising is better than no advertising.

Ok the Crypt is kind of cool i will say that and Backlot Stunt Coaster just does not sound right imo. But Flight Deck tops the cake. That sounds like such a generic name and like you came up with it in like 30 seconds. But i will still always call the rides by their original name. Does anyone know when the new park maps are coming out.

The only problem I have with the names is that they aren't very marketable, especially from a merch point of view.

Cedar Point's old Fear the Five shirt was a great shirt, Raptor, Mantis, Magnum, Millie, and Dragster? Awesome. If KI were to do something like that it would be Beast, SoB, Vortex, Flight Deck, and Backlot Stunt Coaster, not as powerful.

Haven't posted for a while, haha did you all think I was gone?

The Crypt- Sounds like some random word, but I didn't like Tomb Raider as the name. I gave it a 1 because they could have chosen a better name.

Flight Deck- I love this name, it's perfect for this ride. The old name sounds old, dull and boring. 5 star name.

Backlot Stunt Coaster- HUH? No random names here for me. What is Backlot? Never heard of it. 1...