How do you feel about the new ride names?

BoddaH1994

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget that CGA also has a Vortex.

But I can't agree more, we all thought Flight Deck was bad, but I think Drop Tower should go down as the worst name yet.

CWA has a Vortex too...

I think the name for drop zone should be like Death Fall...and at least they didnt name IJ:ST to Car Ride Through an Unknown City.

That is NOT going to happen. Think about Kentucky Kingdom. The LAST thing any park wants to associate a Drop Tower with right now is death or injury.

And what's CWA?

i guess i never really thought of that...i still think its better than Drop Tower...and yes i meant CW.

I am starting to think someone was playing RCT3 when they came up with the names.

Great! Right as the new names were beginning to grow on me (maybe not Flight Deck just yet), Cedar Fair comes out with their latest naming masterpiece: Drop Tower. Geez, what a great idea, they should rename all rides to a description of the ride itself.

Beast - Wood Coaster

Vortex - Twisty Steel Track

White Water Canyon - Rafts on Rough Water

Adventure Express - Mine Train

Racer - Side-by-side Coaster

Firehawk - Flying Coaster

Eiffel Tower - 1/3 Replica of the real Eiffel Tower

Oh man with names like that I should be head of whatever department they have in charge of naming the rides at Cedar Fair, I have their strategy down!

Drop Tower is by far the worst name they could've come up with, it seems like they couldn't care less.

And Browntggr, you say it doesn't matter what the ride is named because it is still the same ride. I have kinda picked up on the fact that one of the big problems most people had about Paramount was not the rides they added, because most were pretty good, but the fact that they let the atmosphere of the park go to waste. I don't know about you but for me ride names add somewhat to the atmosphere of the park and generic, unimaginative ride names kind of give the impression that they were afterthoughts and that Cedar Fair could care less. Not exactly the kind of image you want, and I I just hope that if we do get the coaster in 2009 that many people believe we are, I hope they spend more than 5 minutes naming it, I would rather not have to hear New in 2009, HyperCoaster! Just my 2 cents.

Edit -- v I changed it.

yes i aggree that Drop Tower was a horrid name but look at Cedar Point, alot of there flat rides have the names the manufactures gave them.

for example troika, and matterhorn

Names are just names. Will riding Flight Deck be so different from riding Top Gun? If you answered yes, basically means that your rating a coaster just by its name. If someone decided my name was no longer Gabriel, but was some middle eastern name, does that change who I am? No. I'm not really worried about the names. When I ride Drop Tower this summer I will ride it purly because it is the same thill as it was last year.

Psychologically, names represent an identity. I certainly would feel changed if I lost my first name, and had it changed. I have in a way become what my name represents, that is for you all to decide who I am and how it associates with my name, but I associate what I have done in my life, and how peope view me by how much respect my name (a symbol of who I am and what I've done) achieves.

I just posted something about this on another thread, but this sounds like a good place for it, too..

Maybe they really have a strategy. Maybe they're trying purposely to make the ride names generic so that people think of the whole park itself, rather than individual ride names. I think I remember posts awhile back about CF wanting to build their "brand".

And Browntggr, you say it doesn't matter what the ride is named because it is still the same ride. I have kinda picked up on the fact that one of the big problems most people had about Paramount was not the rides they added, because most were pretty good, but the fact that they let the atmosphere of the park go to waste. I don't know about you but for me ride names add somewhat to the atmosphere of the park and generic, unimaginative ride names kind of give the impression that they were afterthoughts and that Cedar Fair could care less. Not exactly the kind of image you want, and I I just hope that if we do get the coaster in 2009 that many people believe we are, I hope they spend more than 5 minutes naming it, I would rather not have to hear New in 2009, HyperCoaster! Just my 2 cents.

The atmosphere changed during Paramount's regime due to many things.

IMO, they "cheapened" (?? is that even a word :huh: ) the park by promoting some rather terrible movies (Drop Zone, Face Off, Congo etc.) not only with ride names, but with movie posters around the park. Sure, it was their park and they could do what they wanted, but if you are going to have a theme park based to movies, do it the right way, not half-a$$ed. I will always compare KI to BGE. BGE is fantastic. From the themeing, to how clean everything is, to the music in the different areas; words really can't describe how much detail went into their themeing. You can tell from the moment you walk into the park how nice it really is. KI could have been that way with Paramount, and the funny thing is, KI was just as nice as BGE back in the 70's & 80's.

That is the atmoshere Paramount took away.

And when it comes down to ride names; how many rides have been called Vortex or Top Gun, Drop Zone etc.? The industry has been reusing ride names for decades, Paramount and CF certainly are not the only ones that have done it. I just don't see the importance in a ride name to the degree that some have discussed. A good ride name is not going to make my day at the park any better or any worse.

Now the only ride name change that I have been disappointed with was the change from Beastie to FOC. Even though Beast is not like today's coasters, back in 1979 The Beast was the best coaster. And Beastie was the park's way to let the smaller folk enjoy the "aura" of what Beast really is.

The atmosphere changed during Paramount's regime due to many things.

IMO, they "cheapened" (?? is that even a word :huh: ) the park by promoting some rather terrible movies (Drop Zone, Face Off, Congo etc.) not only with ride names, but with movie posters around the park. Sure, it was their park and they could do what they wanted, but if you are going to have a theme park based to movies, do it the right way, not half-a$$ed. I will always compare KI to BGE. BGE is fantastic. From the themeing, to how clean everything is, to the music in the different areas; words really can't describe how much detail went into their themeing. You can tell from the moment you walk into the park how nice it really is. KI could have been that way with Paramount, and the funny thing is, KI was just as nice as BGE back in the 70's & 80's.

That is the atmoshere Paramount took away.

And when it comes down to ride names; how many rides have been called Vortex or Top Gun, Drop Zone etc.? The industry has been reusing ride names for decades, Paramount and CF certainly are not the only ones that have done it. I just don't see the importance in a ride name to the degree that some have discussed. A good ride name is not going to make my day at the park any better or any worse.

Now the only ride name change that I have been disappointed with was the change from Beastie to FOC. Even though Beast is not like today's coasters, back in 1979 The Beast was the best coaster. And Beastie was the park's way to let the smaller folk enjoy the "aura" of what Beast really is.

And I think and have faith that the parks will be comparable with BGE and BGA again.

Paramount is gone.

You can only change so much so fast.

Another reason I don't want them to take out Congo. It has a look to it that they just don't seem to do any more. A real wood walk way, they actually took the time to angle all the boards that hold up the handrail, and there's real (gasp!) landscaping around it.

Another reason I don't want them to take out Congo. It has a look to it that they just don't seem to do any more. A real wood walk way, they actually took the time to angle all the boards that hold up the handrail, and there's real (gasp!) landscaping around it.

I was thinking the very same thing.

As simple of a ride as it is, there was a heck of a lot of landscaping that went into it.

Remember that monkey island used to be right there.

I remember when they drained it and then bull dozed all that area.

I haven't noticed it mentioned so far...and if so I am sorry...but I would like to know if these boring names will affect sales of souvenier items. A name may not change a ride's "fun quality" BUT I think a name does matter when it comes to deciding if someone wants to buy a t-shirt, who wants a shirt with a "boring" name/logo?

I haven't noticed it mentioned so far...and if so I am sorry...but I would like to know if these boring names will affect sales of souvenier items. A name may not change whether a ride's "fun quality" BUT I think a name does matter when it comes to deciding if someone wants to buy a t-shirt, who wants a shirt with a "boring" name/logo?

I wander what the logos will be like... well i already know Invertigo's, BLSC's, and Crypt's.

IMO, they "cheapened" (?? is that even a word :huh: )

Yes it is, here's some proof if you really need it... it's a pretty common word actually, I'm surprised you've never heard of it...

Cheapened

Sorry to ruin your attempt to make me seem dumb.

Whoa! Where in the World did that come from? I was stating something that was my opinion, hence the IMO, and I used a word that: 1) I had no idea if it was a word and 2) Really didn't care to find out since, even if it was not a word, many would still understand where I was coming from. And the funny thing is, I even explained why I felt the park was cheapened, which again had nothing to do about you.

I am not really sure why you would even think that I was trying to make you feel dumb. As you can see from my previous posts, I am not one to pull punches and say exactly how I feel.

What is really too bad was that out of my entire post, the only thing you seemed to understand was something that you believed was about you, and in reality had nothing to do about you.

Given those facts, I don't have to make you seem dumb. You are doing it all on your own.

Great! Right as the new names were beginning to grow on me (maybe not Flight Deck just yet), Cedar Fair comes out with their latest naming masterpiece: Drop Tower. Geez, what a great idea, they should rename all rides to a description of the ride itself.

Beast - Wood Coaster

Vortex - Twisty Steel Track

White Water Canyon - Rafts on Rough Water

Adventure Express - Mine Train

Racer - Side-by-side Coaster

Firehawk - Flying Coaster

Eiffel Tower - 1/3 Replica of the real Eiffel Tower

Oh man with names like that I should be head of whatever department they have in charge of naming the rides at Cedar Fair, I have their strategy down!

Drop Tower is by far the worst name they could've come up with, it seems like they couldn't care less.

Edit -- v I changed it.

You think names are generic now, you should see some of the really old names used back in the 1st golden age of coasters. I know the name roller coaster was used. And, there are still some new parks that use those names. Also, you should check out some of the awful names that parks in foreign countries use. And apparently, the general public does not even care.

Here's a link to the roller coaster data base where a search of the name roller coaster came up with many past and presently operating coasters.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...