"Confirmed" Information vs. Speculation

Being a forum member on KIC carries a little more responsibility than it does with most other theme park fan sites. As many of you know, we have an exclusive agreement with Cox Ohio Publishing, which means that our site is feed through a live RSS feed to their eight local newspapers. As a result of this, KICentral is watched very closely by Kings Island, Cedar Fair, and the local media.

KIC has always been dedicated to allowing people to share their thoughts, opinions, and rumors on this site, which is something that we love to read and hear about. Recently, there's been a rash of people claiming that certain rumors are "Confirmed" when in fact nothing is confirmed until it is released by the park.

We came to the agreement with our media contacts, Kings Island, and Cedar Fair that anyone claiming to have CONFIRMED information from an inside source must supply the name of their source within their post. Simply put -- it eliminates a lot of the hearsay that the park has to deal with from false "confirmations" and sets the rule that if your "source" doesn't want their name posted with the information, then you know that the information is either false, or not for public display. Remember that the general rule of the internet is that you must assume that anything you post on the internet can be read by any person, at any time, forever. If you work at the park and you overhear something, don't forget that your boss, and your boss's boss, and your boss's boss's boss will likely read your post.

Again, rumors are just that -- rumors. Rumors and speculation are always welcome, however if you claim to have heard information from an inside source, or claim that your information is confirmed, you must supply your source.

Per TOS -- Effective Immediately: 28 January 2008, 7:33pm EST

Best Regards,

Ryan

Post any questions below.

All I can say is, this is long awaited! All of the "confirmed" rumors have seemingly got out of hand quite recently. I applaud KIC for adopting this policy, it makes the forums much more respectable! No longer will I have to sift through pages of unsupported rumors to get to the quality insights that many on this board have to share. Great job KIC!

Kudos admins and mods!

I agree with Corey Butcher. Even though I love the gossiping and such, it really sets this site above many others. I applaud you for this very much.

*Claps*

So, if they have "confirmed" sources do they just have to confirm it to the mods, or post it for all to see?

Also, does this effect things such as pictures taken inside the park during the off season?

I agree with Corey Butcher. Even though I love the gossiping and such, it really sets this site above many others. I applaud you for this very much.

*Claps*

So, if they have "confirmed" sources do they just have to confirm it to the mods, or post it for all to see?

Also, does this effect things such as pictures taken inside the park during the off season?

Nope, must be posted in the topic. Photos taken fall under the same rule. The source must be stated.

This is a little weird to me. This website is hardly the only one to discuss matters relating to Kings Island. A simple google of "Kings Island" will yeild a high amount of enthusiast websites. So why Cedar Fair initiated this with strictly KIC is a little perplexing. In essence, to me, all this means is that the "confirmed" by anonymous source posts will go to the "other" websites. I really dont see this doing anything but moving those conversations to another site.

... just my thought...

This policy was not put in place to tell people not to post rumors or things they heard. That would be destroying the reason many people come to this site. We are just asking users not to put "confirmed" or any synonyms of "confirmed" until it is said by a official park representative, Ryan, or myself (not calling Ryan or myself official park spokesmen.) I will not go into detail about what happened but it truly could have been avoided by non-official people making official or confirmed like posts and threads.

This is a little weird to me. This website is hardly the only one to discuss matters relating to Kings Island. A simple google of "Kings Island" will yeild a high amount of enthusiast websites. So why Cedar Fair initiated this with strictly KIC is a little perplexing. In essence, to me, all this means is that the "confirmed" by anonymous source posts will go to the "other" websites. I really dont see this doing anything but moving those conversations to another site.

... just my thought...

Park is just trying to track down information that is released or discovered prior to the official release.

... just my thought...

I doubt that the conversation will really drift to other sites that much, this isn't eliminating all rumor discussion, it's just asking people to to confirm their source if they want to make a claim that a rumor is 100 percent confirmed. If you had been watching the site closely the past few months you would notice that there have been a lot of posts claiming that something is confirmed with absolutely no source and by a member who has hardly been on the website long enough to build up any kind of reputable reputation. For examples it would prevent a user from doing something like this...

Randomtroll05 - "I have a second cousin inside the park who can confirm that WWC will be removed for the re-location of Gemini J.R."

I think posts like that have confused certain parties that ryan alludes to, because they know KI is usually a very reputable source...

which means that our site is feed through a live RSS feed to their eight local newspapers. As a result of this, KICentral is watched very closely by Kings Island, Cedar Fair, and the local media.

It's just asking people to put up or shut up when bringing up a rumor. This site usually has the best updates from the park anyways, I enjoyed their exclusive updates of Firehawk last season, so I'll stay here.

Rumors and speculation are always welcome, however if you claim to have heard information from an inside source, or claim that your information is confirmed, you must supply your source.

What this also does is let them fire anyone who is dumb enough to say some secret info in front of someone who posts on here.

But what about photoshop tom foolery? I guess no more photoshopping dragster in behind racer. What's the point in a photoshop prank if you have to admit its not real.

And lastly - is the Dippin Dots guy considered a source? He is a reliable source of highly questionable content (except when he's not reliable, or the content in question lacks questionability).

Well I think overall it is a good idea. You should have to be able to prove it if you're going to say "Confirmed". Cause otherwise it isn't confirmed. Just as long as you don't ban discussion of all rumors.

I think photoshop is alright unless your trying to forge it as a true media depiction or release by the park, which in that case is a debate of legality and ethics. However, I think we should have a photo shop competition and topic again! I have gotten better at since our last topic when I was the "MS paint Master!"

so basically, unless you can put "confirmed by [insert park employee's name here", you should say "i heard this rumor the other day ______"..........

Exactly! It may seem trivial, but it makes a world of difference in credibility.

yeah i definitely understand, especially from CF's point of view and a media POV....

Question:

Lets say I have a grudge out for Ride Op John Doe. Can't I just come on here and say "I have confirmed information from John Doe at The Racer that we are getting a 900 foot tall Intamin," even though I never heard that specifically from John Doe?" And if the info happens to be correct, how is John Doe protected even though he never said anything to begin with?

Odd not seeing updates this year on KIC like last year. All well guess it would be nice to have confirmed information. Just wish Kings Island and Cedar Fair would not take so long to just say what the information is for the next season. I mean if you have a season pass why not just send something out like the park has done in the past?

I can understand that KIC does not want its members to use the word “confirmed” unless it is backed up which will never happen, It makes things a lot less confusing. If I am correct KIC is not an official site for KI or Cedar Fair therefore everything on here is not or should never be taken as official unless an employee of KI or Cedar Fair with authority comes on here and makes a statement themselves or designates someone to do so. That goes for every forum board out there unless it is an official company site then everything is unofficial.

Thank God, Ryan! I was getting tired of hearing Confirmed: My unlce's brother's niece's 3rd cousin says there will be a ____ft. coaster added to KI. It was getting old.

^The rumor section will stay open. Just admit you're starting or spreading a rumor and not saying it's confirmed.

Don't know if it is, but KIC should be the #1 Unofficial Guide to Kings Island.

I can understand that KIC does not want its members to use the word “confirmed” unless it is backed up which will never happen, It makes things a lot less confusing. If I am correct KIC is not an official site for KI or Cedar Fair therefore everything on here is not or should never be taken as official unless an employee of KI or Cedar Fair with authority comes on here and makes a statement themselves or designates someone to do so. That goes for every forum board out there unless it is an official company site then everything is unofficial.

I was thinking the same thing, this whole thing sounds silly. This is an UN-OFFICIAL KI Website, if you believe everything you read on the internet (unless it's from an "official" website) you have something wrong with you.

This information is found in THIS WEBSITES DISCLAIMER : "Materials Submitted by Other Users. We cannot and do not review every posting made in our chat rooms, forums, and other areas available for public postings. You may well read any given posting before anyone on our staff does. Take what you find with a grain of salt. You can expect these areas to include information and opinions from a variety of individuals and organizations other than us. We do not endorse or guarantee the accuracy of any posting, regardless of whether the posting comes from a user, from a celebrity or "expert" guest, or from a member of our staff. There is no substitute for healthy skepticism and your own good judgment"

I was thinking the same thing, this whole thing sounds silly. This is an UN-OFFICIAL KI Website, if you believe everything you read on the internet (unless it's from an "official" website) you have something wrong with you.

I'm telling you... I miss the days of KIC just being for fun more and more at times like this... it was a simpler time... it was a better time...

:P

Guest kwindshawne

I'm telling you... I miss the days of KIC just being for fun more and more at times like this... it was a simpler time... it was a better time...

:P

And here is one of the pitfalls of the information age....whatever you post on the internet, will evenutally come back to bite you in the a$$. Lovely......