Kings Island to Have New Ride Names & New Parking Lot Sign for the 2008 Season, Kings Island Wants YOU for Their 2008 Entertainment Lineup & More

With the 2008 season beginning on Sunday, April 20th, Kings Island is gearing up for a new era. With this new era comes some exciting changes to the park. Trading in the magic of the movies for the thrills, spills, and entertainment of the traditional American amusement park, Cedar Fair has been dedicated to ushering in a better Kings Island for all of us.

Part of this new era includes changing the name of some of the rides and attractions to better suit the new look of the park. Top Gun, Kings Island's suspended coaster will be now known as Flight Deck. The Italian Job Stunt Track will shed its name in favor of the Backlot Stunt Coaster, and finally Tomb Raider: The Ride will be dubbed The Crypt beginning in 2008.

Also as part of the conversion, the Paramount logo was stripped from the marquee last October and a new logo was recently installed, showing off the new Kings Island and Cedar Fair logos. "When you think of Kings Island, you think of world-class, thrill-inducing roller coasters, action-packed attractions, 15-acre water park, seven-time award-winning kids' area, high-energy entertainment and great times with family and friends," said Don Helbig, Public Relations Area Manager in an interview with Charles Infosino, a freelance journalist for Cox Ohio Publishing. "We believe our new sign captures the essence of what Kings Island is." The sign's construction was completed in early January. Click here to see photos of the sign construction and the completed results!

Are you a total ham? Destined for Broadway? Kings Island wants to hear from you! Auditions for Kings Island's 2008 entertainment lineup resume on Saturday and Sunday, Feb 16th and 17th at Kings Island. Kings Island is currently looking for singers (particularly with contemporary country experience), character cohorts, musicians (specifically horn and reed instrumentalists), meet & greet characters, and technicians/costumers. Earn some extra cash, build your resume', learn something new and have a blast while doing it! Click here to read the full press release, or go to VisitKingsIsland.com to apply online!

Sunday, April 20, 2008, will be Kings Island's opening day for the 2008 season! New for 2008! Kings Island will be open FRIDAYS in May! Click here to view Kings Island's 2008 operating schedule and remember to save the date, April 20, 2008!

Purchase your 2008 Kings Island season pass now and get the LOWEST PRICE of the year!

There are now some exciting new options for Kings Island season passes. A Kings Island Gold Pass gives you access to Kings Island's over 50 attractions including some of the world's greatest thrill rides, captivating live shows, games, diverse food and much more! Also with a Gold Season Pass you get special VIP perks such as exclusive ride times, early entrance to Boomerang Bay, discounted meal deals and an exclusive parking area!

New for 2008! Purchase a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass and get free admission and parking at ALL Cedar Fair dry and water parks! This includes, but is not limited to, Kings Island, Cedar Point, Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom, Dorney Park, and Knott's Berry Farm. On top of all of that, any Platinum Pass purchased through Kings Island will have all the privileges of a Gold Pass!

Go to Kings Island's new web site, VisitKingsIsland.com now and purchase your Kings Island Gold Pass or Cedar Fair Platinum Pass!

Are you an avid Kings Island fan or do you casually visit once a year? No Matter! KICentral.com is the site for you. Why not register on the forums of KICentral and tell us about your thoughts and experiences involving Kings Island! Registration is fast, FREE, and easy. Don't forget to keep checking KICentral.com for the latest news, rumors and information about Kings Island amusement park!

Regards,

Ryan

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/attraction...ry.cfm?ac_id=18

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/attraction...l.cfm?ai_id=158

Confirmed on the company's own website....(as per the terms of service recently amended, the source is cited...)

Why have they been useing the picture of Invertigo at Great America for the past sevral years?

Hopefully not because that's it's future colors.

Also the Free Gold Upgrade is now over.

The KI Regular Pass is $89.99. 4 or more $84.99.

The KI Gold Pass is $94.99 but it includes free parking. 4 or more $89.99.

Platinum Passes are still $150.00

Wow that's expensive for a pass. The 4 or more deal is not too great either.

My home park has a pretty awesome deal right now: http://canadaswonderland.com/shop/shopping_season_pass.cfm

Very tempted to buy right now instead of the usual wait-until-the-last-minute.

Since I live 8+ hours from KI and have never actually bought a pass there in the past, has the price for a season pass always been that high?

heres a pretty decent question from one who has troubles thinking half the time:

What exactly are they going to take out of The Crypt? They cant leave the preshow movie or the quotes in, but what else is considered copyright by Paramount on the theming. The "triangle of light" could be a copyrighted design, and such the park would have to take it out of the tunnel as well as out of the main show. Not to mention the Buddah statue that was used in the movie. Any thoughts?

heres a pretty decent question from one who has troubles thinking half the time:

What exactly are they going to take out of The Crypt? They cant leave the preshow movie or the quotes in, but what else is considered copyright by Paramount on the theming. The "triangle of light" could be a copyrighted design, and such the park would have to take it out of the tunnel as well as out of the main show. Not to mention the Buddah statue that was used in the movie. Any thoughts?

That's a good question. I honestly don't have much of an idea. Now, I've never seen the Tomb Raider movies, so I wouldn't know which props were in the actual movie (and hence would be copyrighted) and which ones weren't. But I would guess that definitely the pre-show and possibly the Buddha statue. However, if they were to modify it from the Buddah design into, say, another god or figure, it might stay. For the props inside the ride building itself, I'm not too sure what's going to stay and what's going to go. I only rode it once, and that was just this past season, so I didn't get a good look at everything it had in there. But I would say that the majority of it will stay. There is the possibility that a new ride cycle will be programmed in, and hopefully the ride effects will be repaired/replaced. But we'll likely have to wait until opening day to see for sure what's been changed.

That big, six-armed statue in the preshow room, the stone monkeys in the antechamber, and the weird gargoyle things that are right behind the queues in the preshow room are based off of/from the movie.

I just noticed this bit of weird information:

PKI%20Easter%20030.jpg

^ That's the statue that's in the ride building right now.

308px-Br_Mus_Durga.JPG

^ This is a statue of the actual goddess, Durga, of Hindu religion.

Notice the resemblance?

I never noticed Durga was a real goddess until now. All they would need to do is just sandpaper off the two heads on the side of the statue and voila!

Of course, the real Durga has ten arms instead of just six. So I doubt they'd really want to add more onto it.

Unless they took off two arms and did the same sandpaper-to-the-face(s) to make it resemble this Hindu god:

B-16shiva.jpg

^ Shiva, the god of destruction.

Also, seeing as how there's a battle between two different entities (fire and ice in the ride) present, they could also use this god:

455px-Kali_Devi.jpg

^ Kali, the goddess of death/destruction.

They could have the preshow room set up to have these two gods at opposite ends of the room, like how they already have the Durga statue at one side, and those weird gargoyle things on the other. Well, Shiva could be at one end (white as snow), and Kali at the other (black as night), and they could use the fire and ice aspects against each other, as one big huge mega battle. Kinda like what Universal did with having Poseidon and Zeus fight in that Lost City show at Islands of Adventure.

Here's a crappy rendition of what the preshow room looked like before:

preshowonemb9.th.jpg

And then a crappy rendition of what the preshow room would look like with two statues:

preshowtwonx9.th.jpg

Whos ready to ride Flight Deck!!! o boy this season is going to be good! O man lets go ride the crypt!

Ok on a serous note, Cedar Fair is gona run KI into the ground, who knows! They may take out The Beast to make room for the steel monster!

edit: im still gona call them by their names! I hate the new names! yuck!

Ok on a serous note, Cedar Fair is gona run KI into the ground, who knows! They may take out The Beast to make room for the steel monster!

Since you have confirmed that this particular comment was being serious, when has any information come out that Beast was being removed?

And, why is CF running KI into the ground? Because they changed ride names? That is a rather pathetic opinion. Especially since CF gave new names, (even though many rides will have the same name just at different parks) to the same rides that Paramount had named and also had like names at different parks.

There is no difference between what either company has done.

I know the majority of the stuff in The Crypt is based off of Eastern Religious faiths. What Im mored worried about is this: Yes, the Triangle of Light is mentioned in myth, however if Paramount took liberties to make the Triangle to look more detailed, that drawing is now copyrighted, so the park could not use it. The Triangle of light (off the top of my head) is located in the tunnel, preshow, I think theres a design etched into the stonework of antechamber somewhere, and in the main show (as a big portion of the actual theming.)

What Im most worried about is that if KI just removes these copyrighted things, and does not put something in its place, you might as well just rip the thing down.

I just hope the Entertainment is better than the new ride names.

Entertainment in 2007 was much improved over the last 5 years, so why would it take a step backwards in '08?

And why do ride names mean anything? The rides will still give the same enjoyment that they have always given.

I just hope the Entertainment is better than the new ride names.

Entertainment in 2007 was much improved over the last 5 years, so why would it take a step backwards in '08?

And why do ride names mean anything? The rides will still give the same enjoyment that they have always given.

I'd be willing to bet that you'll see a bigger, more assorted entertainment lineup from the gang at Kings Island in 08.

Cedar Fair = Great entertainment... Ok ride names...

But the ride will still be the same.

Afterall its not like The Beast is going to be named Monster next seasson...

I agree with this statement. I still believe that Cedar Fair has great plans for all of their newly acquired parks, as well as all of their old ones. This year, is going to be the year to obtain recognition as being the owner and operator of the parks. And I think that the rides in years yet to come, much like Firehawk, will be thrilling. And I feel the same way about the entertainment department. I have given this statement before, and I will certainly be happy to give it again. Just give the park some time. In the future, Cedar Fair will produce a generation of memories. And these new rides names, will be to todays children, the very heart and soul of the park that they got to grow up with.

m.f.

Nice Logo- But awful name for a coaster..I'm might just go to KI and get a job this season..As far as shows go I would like to see another Scooby-Doo show I'm tired of Nick being forced down my mouth why cant CF bring snoopy in? I remember seeing Dino this past summer greeting guests as they entered the park shocked me and made my lil nephew very happy.I mean I know I'm not targeted for that type of entertainment I take my nephew at least 10 times during the summer I just want to see something we both would enjoy he loves scooby-doo as much as me he adores snoopy more so than the latter.

What kind of job you thinking about getting this summer Scooby? I don't know if they can do a scooby show, or if they'd have to get certain rights. They have an agreement through Sally dark rides to use Scooby on the haunted castle ride, but I bet they'd need some separate agreement to do a show of some sort.

Glad to see you back posting Scooby!